Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Recommendations of good novels to read?  (Read 8686 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Recommendations of good novels to read?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 05:27:45 PM »

I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was a kid. And those Goosebump books are pretty good too.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 05:29:09 PM »

I think, if I were you (and I'm obviously not lol), I'd go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look through their Young Adult section. Usually, they separate out their bestsellers in each section, so you could peruse through those as well and get more ideas.  There's a ton of books out there in YA land that I'm sure not all of us know of or have read, so what better place than a bookstore to find more books, right? ;D

I think that's a great idea.  The titles/authors I'm recommending for young adults are things I enjoyed a decade ago as a teenager.  I'm sure there's tons of great, more current stuff out there to read too.  I have read a lot of kid books this year, but not so much young adult romance cause most of it is too old for fourth grade.  But you could spend an afternoon just browsing and reading the backs of books to see which ones sound like your kind of story... then take notes of authors and publishers and maybe buy some that sound especially good to actually read.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

I loved the Nancy Drew books when I was a kid. And those Goosebump books are pretty good too.

I loved Goosebumps!!  I took all my old Goosebump books up to my classroom library, and the kids still love reading them.  I still remember which ones were my favorites, and I have fun recommending them to the kids LOL.

I loved Babysitter's Club and American Girl books too.  And I've turned on a few of my kids to the Boxcar Children.  I liked some of those too.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 05:31:49 PM »

And it'll give you a reason to spend a day at barnes and noble and and excuse to buy some books! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »

I was surprised to see how popular those Goosebump books still are. There is another book that all the kids were reading last year but I don't remember what it was called. I think it was a mystery book and had something to do with codes? AHH it's going to drive me insane! the cover is tan lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 05:37:57 PM »

okay I think it's Artemis something? lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 05:39:14 PM »

Artemis Fowl Thank GOD!!! that would have seriously driven me bonkers all weekend.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 05:40:22 PM »

Artemis Fowl?  Haven't read it, but I've seen it.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »

all my 6 through 8th graders were reading it last year. It seemed like a cool book from what I browsed. lol

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 06:03:31 PM »

Artemis Fowl?  Haven't read it, but I've seen it.

Was that the one written by a 17 year old? Or is that some other one...I swear, I think it's Artemis Fowl *goes to look it up*
Sarah

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »

Was that the one written by a 17 year old? Or is that some other one...I swear, I think it's Artemis Fowl *goes to look it up*

No, i lied. Never mind. But, there IS a popular book out there that was written by a teenager...*goes off searching*
Sarah

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 06:06:55 PM »

Wow, I'm a nut. 

Anyway, I figured out what book it was that was written and published by the time the author was 19 years old: Eragon.
Sarah

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 10:12:41 PM »

lmao I love how the two of us have just randomly talked to ourselves in this thread.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 10:51:14 PM »

I have worked at a bookstore and a library for a total of probably 7 years and am an avid reader of all levels of books.

There is a series out there now that I really really want to read because the idea of it just caught my interest by Scott Westerfield. The titles are Uglies, Pretties and Specials.

I love Gail Carson Levine as well.. she wrote Ella Enchanted...an d has many others :-D

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants are good books, same with the Princess Diaries. There is a series of books by Louise Rennison that are fabulous... Agnus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging...is the first book.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 12:07:01 AM by Purpura Lipstick »
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 10:52:31 PM »

I loved the BSC!!! ;D

I feel like Goosebumps is kind of classic. All the kids are into reading it.

What else did I like.... The Secret Garden and a Little Princess were amongst my favorites growing up...
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey
Pages: 1 [2] 3