Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Recommendations of good novels to read?  (Read 8674 times)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
Re: Recommendations of good novels to read?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2008, 12:08:56 AM »

Oh that reminds me I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables series... Honey if you, as a red head, have not read those...I'm gonna have to hunt you down ;)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »

hahaha no I LOVE anne of green gables! I read those so long ago though, I don't really remember the later books in the series.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2008, 12:36:01 AM »

*sigh* I own them all and re-read them every now and then. *sigh* Gilbert... :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2008, 01:18:17 AM »

lmao I love how the two of us have just randomly talked to ourselves in this thread.

was that referring to me and my odd rambling, mare? i often talk to myself...when no one else is watching lol I swear, I'm not weird!!
Sarah

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2008, 01:30:04 AM »

I liked the Sweet Valley High Books!.... I don't read much anymore. I suck! lol

Sweet Valley High! I adored those books lmao. It's my twin thing, its so odd with me but I love reading about them, writing about them...I'm odd yes lol. I loooved those books. I have them on my bookshelves still lol. I took one down the other day and skimmed it, amused at how I used to devour them.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:10 AM »

Oh that reminds me I LOVED the Anne of Green Gables series... Honey if you, as a red head, have not read those...I'm gonna have to hunt you down ;)

I went to Green Gables and Avonlea last weekend actually. I took pictures of the house!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2008, 01:32:38 PM »

I went to Green Gables and Avonlea last weekend actually. I took pictures of the house!

haha yeah, I giggled to myself when I read your post cause I TOTALLY would have hopped the fence too.

I was at this photo shoot a couple weeks ago and one of the models there was Anne's daughter. I missed Megan Fallows by like half an hour.  Probably a good thing cause I would have giggled like a fan girl.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2008, 05:13:39 PM »

Sweet Valley High! I adored those books lmao. It's my twin thing, its so odd with me but I love reading about them, writing about them...I'm odd yes lol. I loooved those books. I have them on my bookshelves still lol. I took one down the other day and skimmed it, amused at how I used to devour them.

I love twins too! Books about twins are always excellent! :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2008, 11:34:39 PM »

haha yeah, I giggled to myself when I read your post cause I TOTALLY would have hopped the fence too.

I was at this photo shoot a couple weeks ago and one of the models there was Anne's daughter. I missed Megan Fallows by like half an hour.  Probably a good thing cause I would have giggled like a fan girl.

Totally would have been right there with you giggling Kelly. Jullily I keep telling my husband that when he plans vacations for out of the country that I would rather go to Canada then Mexico and he has yet to figure out why despite me watching my Anne of Green Gables movies once a month. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

sweet18_2003

• Captain of Commotion
    • My Space
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:28 AM »

Read Kissed by an Angel. It is AMAZING. I still love this book. It is totally fluff. (which I know you love), but so bittersweet and just..Ahhhh... .lol. It is by Elizabeth Chandler. Here is a synopsis of the book for ya.

Ivy always believed in angels. When she meets Tristan, it's the love of a lifetime. When he dies, her heart is broken and her belief in angels vanishes. And without that belief, she is unable to feel Tristan's presence when he returns--as an angel. Now Ivy is in terrible danger, and Tristan is struggling to save her. How can he protect her if she's lost her faith in angels?

Most of her books are pretty good. You should check her out. :)

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »

Okay, so I've never read this author's work before, but, after reading her reviews and finding out that people think she's one of the best YA writers to come along in a while, I'm definitely going to check her out. Her name is Sarah Dessen, and some of her works are "The Truth About Forever," "Just Listen," and "This Lullaby". Actually, the synopsis for Just Listen sounds along the lines of your stuff, Kelly. Well, sort of lol

Last year, Annabel was "the girl who has everything"—at least that’s the part she played in the television commercial for Kopf ’s Department Store.This year, she’s the girl who has nothing: no best friend because mean-but-exciting Sophie dropped her, no peace at home since her older sister became anorexic, and no one to sit with at lunch. Until she meets Owen Armstrong. Tall, dark, and music-obsessed, Owen is a reformed bad boy with a commitment to truth-telling.With Owen’s help,maybe Annabel can face what happened the night she and Sophie stopped being friends.

Gosh, i really need to go to the library lol
Sarah

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2008, 11:07:45 AM »

lol that actually does sound a lot like me. you guys are pretty awesome. I was at the bookstore the other day and Meg Calbot, and another author named Kate Brian both seemed the most similar to me I think. And then this one book called Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway caught my interest and will be the first book on my list.  ;D hehe it's about this girl (named audrey) who breaks up with this boy and then his band's song Audry, Wait! blows up huge on the radio and people find out that she's the Audry from the song. haha I was kind of excited in a I'm such a dork kind of way. But, seriously, keep em coming ladies! You all are fantastic!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2008, 11:47:46 AM »

I love, love, LOVE "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath.. it's about a girl growing up in New York and yeah.. just being a girl. "I suck at summaries, just read it!" lol ;) but seriously it's very good.  I enjoyed it a lot while I was going through that young adult "what am I going to do with my life?!" phase.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2008, 12:10:10 PM »

lol that actually does sound a lot like me. you guys are pretty awesome. I was at the bookstore the other day and Meg Calbot, and another author named Kate Brian both seemed the most similar to me I think. And then this one book called Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway caught my interest and will be the first book on my list.  ;D hehe it's about this girl (named audrey) who breaks up with this boy and then his band's song Audry, Wait! blows up huge on the radio and people find out that she's the Audry from the song. haha I was kind of excited in a I'm such a dork kind of way. But, seriously, keep em coming ladies! You all are fantastic!

I love that Barnes and Noble.com gives you excerpts of the novels because I loved reading Dessen's excerpts. To be honest, while the subject is totally you, the writing sounds a little more like an adult. So, almost like if I were to try to write a YA story (which, haha, I am lol), that's what it would sound like. Your stuff actually sounds genuinely like a teenager writing about his/her life, which is awesome and ridiculously difficult for adults to do...so you rock!

I love Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries series..though my cousins stole my books so boo, but yeah, I was mad when the movies weren't as good and fabricated a lot of the story lol Hmm, the Aubry one sounds interesting. Wow, I'm totally going to have a summer reading list that isn't full of classic (and, to me, boring) books lol YAY!
Sarah

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2008, 04:43:14 PM »

Read Kissed by an Angel. It is AMAZING. I still love this book. It is totally fluff. (which I know you love), but so bittersweet and just..Ahhhh... .lol. It is by Elizabeth Chandler. Here is a synopsis of the book for ya.

Ivy always believed in angels. When she meets Tristan, it's the love of a lifetime. When he dies, her heart is broken and her belief in angels vanishes. And without that belief, she is unable to feel Tristan's presence when he returns--as an angel. Now Ivy is in terrible danger, and Tristan is struggling to save her. How can he protect her if she's lost her faith in angels?

Most of her books are pretty good. You should check her out. :)

Yes!!  I recommended this one earlier.  You and I are like clones when it comes to taste in books. ;D

Kissed by an Angel sounds cheesy (especially from the title LOL), but it's really not, as far as YA romances go. 
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 2 [3]