Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Cringe Worthy  (Read 11011 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Cringe Worthy
« on: May 26, 2008, 12:55:02 PM »

Do you ever go back and read your old stories and cringe at just how bad they are?  Honestly, sometimes I do this and they really make me laugh.  I'm not saying I'm the best writer ever (not by any stretch of the imagination) but I can honestly say that I've improved quite a bit from a million chapters of... basically no plot and Nick being a complete heartbroken lovesick freak, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
Re: Cringe Worthy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »

Yeah, I've done the same thing. Though, I don't have the heart [nor the will] to change any of them. I've actually posted some of them I've cringed at on here, & they were well liked enough-lol.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 01:34:03 PM »

Yes, all the time. Its funny  because I'll read it and think, 'I came up with this way again? And people are able to read it?' Its a good laugh really. Good times.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 01:38:31 PM »

LMAO we all have those! I have a few that I'm almost embarrassed to let people read, but I leave them posted cause it's kind of fun at the same time to see what I was like when I wrote my first story. My first one is beyond cringe worthy. But I was like 14 at the time and the biggest teeny you've ever seen in your life. Good to know I've grown up. (a little)
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 02:29:47 PM »

Yup lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 02:30:45 PM »

I do!  Like Kelly, my first stories are so embarrassingly awful that I've considered taking them off my website, but also like Kelly, I can't bring myself to do it... they've still got a little spot in my heart, and it does make me feel good to look back at them and see how far I've come since then!

But even my more recent stories make me cringe in parts LOL.  I don't think I'll ever get over that.  There will always be parts that almost impress me a little (like, "Wow, I wrote that??") and even more parts that make me cringe and think "Wow.  I wrote that... *palm to forehead*"
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 05:26:35 PM »

Aaaahhh!!  My first stories are all like that, too!  All the stories I have posted, and the one I'm doing now (aside from the challenges, of course) are old stories that I am re-writing to make them less cringe-worthy (I hope).
~Kelly~

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
  • I have no idea what I'm getting myself into
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:54:37 PM »

OMG... don't I ever!! LMAO. When I look back at my old writing works, I sit there and laugh, saying to myself "What the hell were you thinking?!" Especially when I look at my grammar and spelling, tee hee. Don't mean to sound arrogant or whatever, but I think I've came a long way from how I used to write, and I think that's the case for everybody. I think years later (if I still continue to write) I'll look back at the works I'm doing now and just laugh, thinking the same thing I did when I looked back at my super old writing.

I think we should all post our original works... well, at least one of them. I think it'd be cool for people to see how far you've came with your writing.
"Stories are often the lives we wish we could live."
~Me

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:03:55 PM »

Um yeah I would post a link to my old website.. (its still up and running, I just looked haha) but yeah.. soooo embarassing.

Also, every single story features Steph as the main character and of course she is dating Nick lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 10:33:24 PM »

I constantly wonder what I was thinking when I wrote some of mine. Just the other day I was thinking about removing the sequel to More Than That off of AC because it's a story I've decided I'm just not going to finish.. not because I don't like the story ... I truly can't remember where I was going with it honestly.... of course I also wonder why I made it a sequel in the first place, that could be another reason.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 04:11:21 PM »

I think everyone does that sometimes. :) It's just the way life goes. You do it about things outsid of writing too, you know?
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:56 PM »

Um yeah I would post a link to my old website.. (its still up and running, I just looked haha) but yeah.. soooo embarassing.

Also, every single story features Steph as the main character and of course she is dating Nick lol.

LMAO We should have a thread where we post all our old fiction. Or maybe one of Mare's challenges can be to post an old piece of work that you're incredibly embarassed over.

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 05:19:22 AM »

LMAO We should have a thread where we post all our old fiction. Or maybe one of Mare's challenges can be to post an old piece of work that you're incredibly embarassed over.

That's exactly what I was thinking, lol.
~Me

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »

That's a good idea and more importantly, less work for me so maybe i'll do that! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

rebellious_one

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:27:21 PM »

^LOL. I'm sure this is a challenge people (as in the readers) would enjoy, lol.
~Me
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5