Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Featured Story of the Month for February 2009 : Casual by cabybakes  (Read 11107 times)

TantilisinTeaser

• Fledgling
  • What would Nick do?More like what wouldn't he do?!
Re: Featured Story of the Month for February 2009 : Casual by cabybakes
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 05:19:50 AM »

Hey hun!

Congrats! You really deserve it because this stpry rocks and you have worked so hard on it! I am sad that we are only fourteen chappies away from the end though, that's a bit of a bummer.

It's not going to be the last we see of you though is it? Please write more because you are too talented to let it go to waste!

Thanks for mentioning me!

Amz

xx
Lee Evans about People with Bluetooth: "FUCK OFF! It's like a Tusk, it's like he's had a fight with a walrus and lost!"

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

When you're right, no one remembers. When you're wrong, no one forgets.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »

Congrats Darby!!!  ;)

Thank you!  I have Sinister Devotion on my short list of must reads!!! 

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »

Congrats Darby! I'm so happy for you :) I've heard so much about this story, it seems to be mentioned everywhere I look (and that's a good thing!), so it's been on my must read list for quite sometime. Seeing this featured has got me motivated! Yaaaay!

So I had the day off and decided to read a couple chapters aaaaand a couple chapters turned into 20. lol Literally. Not joking in the slightest. I had to stop though cause my eyes are about to fall out of my head from staring at the computer screen for so long lol! Basically what I'm trying to say is, I LOVE THIS STORY! Whole heartedly.

Thank you, Dani!  This means so much to me coming from you because you know I am one of your Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon devotees and admire your work on that story!!!  I am glad to hear that you got sucked into Casual.  I hope you continue reading and enjoying it!!!

When I read the question and answer post at the beginning of the thread, I was interested to see that a lot of the story/personalities of the characters/circumstances are from your real life. While I was reading, I was wondering on several occasions how much of it relates to you personally. I had a hunch that some of it did, just not how much. I think putting your own personal experiences into your writing makes it better because you know the emotions first hand and can accurately describe them, which you've done.

I knew this question was coming...ha!  I had a serious boyfriend through most of high school and I left for college single for the first time in my life.  I became a serial dater!  In early college, I was known to date many guys at the same time.  At one point, I made a decision to not sleep with anyone or date anyone for a year, and during that time, I probably met more guys that were interested in me.  I actually had two different "relationships" at different times with two different men in my early 20s that lasted 13 months and 9 months that I would never admit that either of them were my boyfriend.  I was not in a position of power in the 13 month relationship but I was in the 9 month relationship (because I had learned from the 13 month experience).  I would occasionally go out on dates with other guys while I was with them, even though I remained monogamous.  I got really burned by the 13 month relationship and it was a new experience for me to have my heart trampled on like it was by him.  I knew my husband for two years before we started dating, and when I started dating him, I would not admit to my friends when I was with him, and then suddenly we were in love, practically living together...the n a year later we were engaged, and a year later we were married.  Needless to say it was a shock not only to my system, but everyone around me!

All of that said, Quinn is VERY much how I was during the 9-month non-relationship.  I had this wonderful guy who wanted to do all of these huge things for me but I kept him at arms length.  In the end, that is what ended it, he got sick of all of my rules and wanted more than I was willing to give him.  He actually got married shortly after we ended things.

I've seen a progression from the beginning to where I am now with your writing. I saw on your profile that you are mainly a reader and the only reason why you started writing was because you ran out of things to read (lol). I can tell that as the story progresses, so does your writing - you become more comfortable and confident, and it definitely shows, and it's great!

I am so much more a reader.  I am kind of old school in the FF world, AC is so overwhelming that I think I missed quite a bit of stuff and now have a "to-read" list that I plan to start on once I finish Casual!  I feel like I have literally read EVERYTHING out there. 

Thank you for the compliment on my writing...I still struggle a bit with the confidence, especially when I start writing the tough stuff!  I saw a noticeable change in my writing when I got a Beta - the chapter in NYC is when Mel came on board.

I love the characters and the progression of them. I love Quinn but dislike her at the same time. I feel like she should just give in to Nick already and just be HAPPY! He so obviously adores her, and you've hinted how he's basically shunned his past life of craziness to be with her (though he didn't realize it until recently), and it's clear she loves him or else she wouldn't be breaking every single rule she's set up for her 'casual sex' lifestyle. Gah!!! But what would a story be without all the dramz?

LOVE LOVE LOVE her columns! I think it's great how we learn more about her through her columns just as Nick is learning about her through the same venue. It's great how you keep her a mystery to us, where we discover more about her as the story progresses.

At times I have wondered myself how readers can find anything endearing about Quinn with her blindness and some of the crap that she pulls.  She is so scared to let go!  Nick in Casaul is a guy with warwounds from his past experiences, and he has had a checkered past with women.  He has somewhat naturally fallen for Quinn, been guarded at times but pretty open about his feelings and where he stands.  One of the funniest things to me about Quinn is that she never really had the casual-sex lifestyle...ot her than sleeping with the other guy from the gym very early in the story, she has been completely monogamous and only been with Nick.  She hasn't even really dated since she met him either.  We do need the dramz...and there is A LOT more to come, so stay tuned - it will come from a place you may not expect...

The columns are Quinn at her most transparent and vulnerable.  It is where we get to see what she is thinking...lat er in the story, she makes confessions to people instead of just through her writing.  She is aware that Nick sees it, and sends him messages through her writing in subtle ways...

I can't wait to read more of this, and I'll definitely throw in more of my thoughts/opinions. I was going to wait until i've read all that you've posted but I couldn't help myself! :)

I love it Darby. I'm happy I finally started reading it :) Congrats again! You deserve it love.

Thank you again...and please do let me know your thoughts!  Hugs!

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2009, 11:16:01 AM »

Hey hun!

Congrats! You really deserve it because this stpry rocks and you have worked so hard on it! I am sad that we are only fourteen chappies away from the end though, that's a bit of a bummer.

It's not going to be the last we see of you though is it? Please write more because you are too talented to let it go to waste!

Thanks for mentioning me!

Amz

xx

Thanks, Amy :)

I will probably take a bit of a breather after I finish writing Casual, but I do have a couple of other projects in mind.  One is to redo an old story that I wrote...I love the plot but I think I could do a lot more with it now.  I also have a sequel to Casual in my mind, because I have a feeling that readers will want it - can't say why, but you will see what I mean.  I also have another idea for a new story that I originally thought would be the #3 story in this series, but I don't want to do more than two.  I think that the idea would do better on its own with new characters with different histories.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »

aww yay for all the positive response so far.

I love the name Quinn. It's one of my favorite names for a girl. Just a random fact until I can think of questions that haven't already been asked. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »

aww yay for all the positive response so far.

I love the name Quinn. It's one of my favorite names for a girl. Just a random fact until I can think of questions that haven't already been asked. lol

I know...makes me very excited! 

Quinn is one of my favorite names too!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »

okay here are a few quesitons for you Darby.

Can you tell us which chapter so far has bene the hardest one for you to write and why?

What has been your favorite part about the whole writing experience of this story so far?

If you could pick only one of your characters from this story to have their own spin off story, who would it be and why?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »

YAY, more questions, thanks, Mare.

Can you tell us which chapter so far has bene the hardest one for you to write and why?

Probably the two chapters right after Vegas - I know I have talked about that part of the story a lot, but it was a turning point and significant to the direction of the story.  After those events took place, I had to write Quinn in a totally different way than I had up to that point.  And honestly, I did not like her very much during that time.  It was also difficult for me make her redeemable after what had happened - I had to find a way to spin it where she wasn't just some manipulative bitch and make her come out of it looking human.  I had to show that she did care for Nick, even though her way of showing it was not the greatest in those circumstances. I also had find an outlet for Nick's frustration where he didn't totally let her off the hook - which is why I love AJ in this story and what his conversations with Nick bring to the table.  When I came up with the idea of Quinn writing the fairy tale, it really helped because it was a way for Quinn to show a softer side of herself without feeling like she had really admitted to anything.  I am entering another challenging phase right now where I have transform a character into something very different from what they have been. 

What has been your favorite part about the whole writing experience of this story so far?

It has definitely been connecting with other writers.  I have betas and I have betaed for other people.  It is amazing how you can motivate each other and how fleshing out your ideas with someone can you a better writer. 

If you could pick only one of your characters from this story to have their own spin off story, who would it be and why?

Probably Riley...I have thought it would be fun to hook her and AJ up, I even considered doing a subplot with the two of them at one point.  I prefer them as more of kindred spirits than sweeties.  Her story could be interesting, a young girl trying to get her career started in the place that she has lived her entire life.  I've also been thinking a lot about Courtney lately too after the last chapter; she's trying to "find" herself in a lot of ways.  Both of these stories would be more original fiction than BSB fan fiction.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 08:42:52 AM »

I've heard such good things about this, I really need to sit down and read it!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 11:04:21 PM »

I've heard such good things about this, I really need to sit down and read it!

Thank you :)

FrickFrackGirl

• Captain of Commotion
  • Nowie!!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2009, 01:18:40 AM »

I know you've seen me in the Reviews section of this story.  It's absolutely one of my favorites right now.  I'm always excited to see that there's an update.  I love the conflicted relationship between these two although I must admit, like others, I feel like smacking Quinn upside the head and saying "wth is wrong with you girl!?!" lol.  Sometimes I thinks she's just plain  :crazy:....but then again, what fun would that be to read? hehe...I love the way the story is written, I love the articles that she writes, how it applies to her current state of mind.  I love how you add a song in the articles too, to help with the mood of the article.  At this point, I just want her to say those 3 little words to him..before he goes on tour.  But I'm sure you know what your doing..and keeping us in suspense of that moment I'm sure will pay off big.  Keep up the great work...I love this story!

Yup, I'm a Nick girl!!  But I love ALL my Boys!

Jen

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2009, 07:38:58 AM »

I know you've seen me in the Reviews section of this story.  It's absolutely one of my favorites right now.  I'm always excited to see that there's an update.  I love the conflicted relationship between these two although I must admit, like others, I feel like smacking Quinn upside the head and saying "wth is wrong with you girl!?!" lol.  Sometimes I thinks she's just plain  :crazy:....but then again, what fun would that be to read? hehe...I love the way the story is written, I love the articles that she writes, how it applies to her current state of mind.  I love how you add a song in the articles too, to help with the mood of the article.  At this point, I just want her to say those 3 little words to him..before he goes on tour.  But I'm sure you know what your doing..and keeping us in suspense of that moment I'm sure will pay off big.  Keep up the great work...I love this story!

Thank you so much!!!  I know...Quinn is very frustrating, to me even and I created her.  This story would be no fun to read if they were magically in love and drama-free!!! 

Did you read the last chapter that I just posted?  It is the last one before Nick leaves...I am guessing from what you said here that you haven't, so go check it out!!!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2009, 02:02:52 PM »

Hey Darby,

okay back with some more questions lol

These questions are geared more to people who haven't read your story but are curious as to what it's about.

Who would you define as the lead character and why? (Quinn or Nick)

Is it told in third person or first person?

Do you see yourself writing a sequel?

If you could only classify it as one genre, which would it be? (Drama, romance, angst etc...)

Is there a villian in this one and if so who is it and what makes them so bad?

Do you enjoy ending your chapters with cliffhangers?

Generally how often do you find yourself updating?

:)

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »

Thanks for the questions, Mare!

Who would you define as the lead character and why? (Quinn or Nick)
In the early parts of the story I would say Quinn, however, Nick gets equal time later on in the story.  So I would say there is a male and female lead.

Is it told in third person or first person?
The story is told in the third person, however, Quinn is a writer, so her columns appear throughout the story and they are written in first person.

Do you see yourself writing a sequel?
I've contemplated it...will I actually do it? Not sure. 

If you could only classify it as one genre, which would it be? (Drama, romance, angst etc...)
That is tough...I think it has all of those elements.  I hate calling it a romance although I am sure that is how a lot of people may classify it.  It has a ton of drama and angst in it...and its not a mushy love story...its about two real people with issues trying to figure out how to function in an undefined, casual relationship. 

Is there a villian in this one and if so who is it and what makes them so bad?
Other than Quinn - no...she is her own worst enemy...

Do you enjoy ending your chapters with cliffhangers?
Not particularly, sometimes that is just where the chips fall...

Generally how often do you find yourself updating?
Ideally, I would update weekly, however, realistically, I probably update every two weeks...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »

Every two weeks is a good thing Darby, considering the amount of authors on AC who never update ever! (including me) lol

The whole column concept sounds like a great idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4