Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Genres  (Read 5050 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Genres
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 07:36:19 PM »

^ I was just thinking the opposite. I kind of like the elements idea. I would also love to read this story. Sounds interesting!

I like the idea of powers, but elements tend to appear quite a bit in fantasy fiction is all LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 07:56:37 PM »

The elements idea reminds me of Captain Planet (which was an awesome show, so not slamming the idea at all!) LOL, but it also reminds me of the album art for Millennium, which is still one of my favorite Bsb photoshoots.  Though when I looked back at which element you chose for which guy, it made me think more of the Incomplete video... Brian with water, Nick with fire, etc., as opposed to Brian = air, Nick = water, Howie = fire, etc.  Is that where you got the idea?

The elements have been connected to fantasy since ancient Greek and Roman times, when they believed there was a god who controlled each of them, so it makes sense.  It's a classic idea.  I wouldn't throw it out just because it's been done before.  You can always take an old idea and make it new again, especially in this fandom when so few stories like that are being written currently.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »

I have a fantasy story where the Boys control the elements, if that's any proof that it's over used. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Chaos

• Villiage Idiot
  • Almighty Ruler
  • Minion of Mayhem
  • Defy Reality
    • Absolute Chaos
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:40 PM »

I have an only partially written BSB story that the elements played a big part, too.  (It was a supernatural-related fic in that a couple of the characters were dead (but were still the main characters), the element thing had absolutely nothing to do with powers or sci-fi/fantasy or anything, though...)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 09:29:58 PM »

Okay, mine had magical powers. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

Ruby Maye

• Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2009, 02:34:12 PM »

The elements idea reminds me of Captain Planet (which was an awesome show, so not slamming the idea at all!) LOL, but it also reminds me of the album art for Millennium, which is still one of my favorite Bsb photoshoots.  Though when I looked back at which element you chose for which guy, it made me think more of the Incomplete video... Brian with water, Nick with fire, etc., as opposed to Brian = air, Nick = water, Howie = fire, etc.  Is that where you got the idea?

The elements have been connected to fantasy since ancient Greek and Roman times, when they believed there was a god who controlled each of them, so it makes sense.  It's a classic idea.  I wouldn't throw it out just because it's been done before.  You can always take an old idea and make it new again, especially in this fandom when so few stories like that are being written currently.

yup, i based their powers on the elements they were paired with from the Incomplete video. i just thought it fit better than the Millennium one. But the story itself actually came from a dream i had with AJ and Nick. In my dream, they had these special powers and me and this girl, who was my best friend in my dream, were running away from some evil dude LOL and the two of them ended up helping us. HAHA Captain Planet rocks! (but seriously, if i wrote my story in that way it would be totally corny and cheesy and i'd rather not have the cheese  :D) Exactly on the Greek and Roman fantasy thing. i've always loved Greek mythology so i sort of wanted to incorporate that in my story, so thanks. :)

Ruby Maye

• Fledgling
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »

I have a fantasy story where the Boys control the elements, if that's any proof that it's over used. lol

is that the one where their "father" drugged his wife and when she had the Boys they had powers, as part of an experiment? if it is, i loved that story :) or is it the Pixcadia one? i like that one too :)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »

No, it's called Gobosei. My pen name is the same as my forum name. lol
~*Dee*~

Ruby Maye

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2009, 09:40:21 PM »

oh okay, i haven't read that one...i'll check it out. :)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »

It probably needs updating.... :-[
~*Dee*~

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 09:52:43 PM »

Yes it does. Though it did help me get semi inspired with Born To Be and caused that story to be born, so yay for Dee lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 09:53:19 PM »

I'll update it when I want, betch. :P

At least I finished PBox. lol
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 [2]