Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Quotes about writing?  (Read 1985 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Quotes about writing?
« on: June 15, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »

Anyone know of any good quotes about writing?

I'm taking a class on teaching writer's workshop, which is in part a writing workshop in itself.  I have a composition notebook that I'm supposed to decorate to be my "writer's notebook" for homework tonight.  We were told to decorate it in a way that represents us as a writer.

Now, if I were to take the assignment seriously and decorate it in a way that actually represents the writing I'm passionate about, these are some of the pictures I would include...

Obviously, I'm not going to do that, so I need to BS my way through decorating my notebook, and thought I'd try some quotes about writing.  Any ideas? :)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:22:37 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Quotes about writing?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 05:22:17 PM »

Aww, I think you should use the pictures and then film people's reactions!

I like these

The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say.  ~Anaïs Nin

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.  ~E.L. Doctorow

And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise.  The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.  ~Sylvia Plath

I try to leave out the parts that people skip.  ~Elmore Leonard

If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it.  ~Toni Morrison

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 05:24:55 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 05:28:41 PM »

Some more lol

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.  ~Anton Chekhov

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.  ~Mark Twain

I love writing.  I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions.  ~James Michener

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them.  ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.  ~Truman Capote, McCall's, November 1967
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 05:35:43 PM »

Oh, here's one for Tonja!

I'd rather be caught holding up a bank than stealing so much as a two-word phrase from another writer.  ~Jack Smith

It's not plagiarism - I'm recycling words, as any good environmentall y conscious writer would do.  ~Uniek Swain

lol

here's anoter good one and now i'm done lol

When you are describing,
A shape, or sound, or tint;
Don't state the matter plainly,
But put it in a hint;
And learn to look at all things,
With a sort of mental squint.
~Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »

Here are a couple more...I am a quotaholic!  Mare, yours were good!

“I put all my genius into my life; I put only my talent into my works.” - Oscar Wilde

“Write without pay until somebody offers to pay” - Mark Twain

“Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write, every piece you finish.” - John Jakes

“Writing is making sense of life. You work your whole life and perhaps you've made sense of one small area.” - Nadine Gordimer

“Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow...” - Lawrence Clark Powell

“Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement; then it becomes a mistress, and then it becomes a master, and then a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him out to the public.” - Winston Churchill

“Writing is one of the few professions in which you can psychoanalyse yourself, get rid of hostilities and frustrations in public, and get paid for it” - Octavia Butler

"Every writer I know has trouble writing" - Joseph Heller

“I don't like to write, but I love to have written” - Michael Kanin

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »

LMFAO I love those pictures. Especially the one of the penguin snatching that eye from the little girl.

Sadly I don't have any famous writing quotes, though I like the ones listed. I made one up lol, if you wanna use it. You see it all the time as my email siggy lol

"To write is to show your soul in various forms without hesitation. It is an expression of your dreams, creativity, and self."
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:35:17 PM »

Thanks guys!  I knew you'd be able to help! ;D

I ended up coming up with another idea too, so the notebook is decorated!  One assignment done LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:36:06 PM »

Aww, I think you should use the pictures and then film people's reactions!

... and then I could write about THAT!  YES!

LMFAO
~Julie