Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Feeling self-conscious about your writing.  (Read 1421 times)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Feeling self-conscious about your writing.
« on: September 15, 2009, 12:43:31 AM »

It's funny how even after so many years of writing, and so many stories written, and so many nice reviews and even nominations and awards...  STILL you can feel completely self-conscious about your skills as a writer and your work itself. I don't think that feeling ever goes away. I bet even the more celebrated authors still feel that way to some extent.

I was just thinking about that because today I did some writing. Some honest to goodness real writing. This morning an idea just popped into my head and before I knew it I had a whole novel plotted out and the first chapter written. It felt really good, but more than that it was a major relief and that surprised me. I haven't written anything besides a challenge here and there or a half-hearted oneshot in nearly a year now. Granted it's been one of the most chaotic years of my life, but still. I was beginning to fear that I'd lost my touch forever.

And even now, it's been so long that I feel rusty and I keep thinking it's all crap. It's just interesting that I feel more self-conscious now than I used to. Writing... It's a vicious cycle. And yet... one I can't stay away from.

Anyhoo. Just pondering out loud... Any thoughts on the subject?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

fracktrain

Re: Feeling self-conscious about your writing.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 08:01:17 AM »

I feel self-conscious about a lot of things and not just my stories.I guess you just got to stick to whatever it is and the feelings might pass some day or feeling that way could just be part of being human.lol
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:05:02 AM by fracktrain »