Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: One scene from one story  (Read 2378 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
One scene from one story
« on: February 14, 2010, 03:54:36 PM »

We all have a few favorite stories but, what makes them your favorite? For me the mark of a great story is one scene that sticks out and stays with me for a long time after i've read it. So, to try to get more people talking about fanfic and getting this board moving again, name one scene from one story that really gets to you every time you think of it and why.

You can name more than one story of course :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: One scene from one story
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »

First thing that came to mind... the "Don't Wanna Lose You Now" scene from Whitney's "Where Can We Go From Here."

That story was written in 1999, and I read it in early 2000 - so way back toward the beginning of my fanfic obsession, when I was just 14.  So, keep in mind, this was the early days of fanfic, before every cliche in the book had been done to the point of being cliche, and I was a total teenybopper, so despite the cheesiness of what I'm about to describe, it's a really good scene and one that has always stuck with me in the 10 years since.

So "Where Can We Go From Here" is like the original Bsb bus crash story, the one everyone wants to copy because it's so heartbreaking and beautiful.  Naturally, Nick is one who is injured the worst and is in a coma.  The other guys are all in the same hospital, recovering from their injuries, and they go to see Nick for the first time, and they're all freaked out, so Howie, who is the best off, starts singing "Don't Wanna Lose You Now," thinking the music will help them collect themselves, and they all join in.  The nurses stop in the hall and pop their heads in, and even if it is cheesy (and now cliched) as hell, it really is a touching scene.

I used to have to play DWLYN while I read it, and then I would cry and cry over it.  It doesn't quite do that to me anymore LOL, but DWLYN is my favorite Bsb song, and this remains one of the standout scenes of any Bsb fanfic for me.  Chapter 11 of "Where Can We Go From Here."

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/wcwgfh.html

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »

LOL another one that came to mind... Chapter 4 of "Cardio," another old-school fanfic from 1999 or even before.  I think most of the standout scenes I'm going to come up with will be from really old fanfics from this era because those are the ones I've read the most.  Back then, I was happy to spend every possible free moment of my time reading Bsb fanfic, and while I read a lot of different stories, I would read my favorites over and over again.

Anyway... "Cardio" is like the best of the old-school Brian heart problem stories (and there were a lot of them back then, and I read pretty much all of them LOL).  I have this memory of reading it in the summer of 1999, right after I first got contacts, and I was only supposed to wear them for a few hours a day at first until I got used to them.  So I had my contacts in, and I was reading Cardio, and it made me cry pretty hard, and I wondered if it was okay to cry with contacts in or if the flood of tears was going to wash them out LOL.  Such a random memory, but it's stuck with me.  That whole story is one big downer, but I remember Chapter 4 being one that really upset me back then.  (I was pretty dramatic as a teenager; can you tell? LOL)

http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/cardio.html
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »

aww, I remember that scene from Where Can We Go From Here.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 06:19:25 PM »

What are your favorites, Mare?
~Julie

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »

There was a story on Dreamer's Reality, probably written in the late 90s, that took place during medieval times.  Brian, Nick, and AJ were peasants.  The main character was like a Princess, and Kevin was an evil prince who trying to marry her.  I don't remember Howie being in the story at all.  The Princess was seeing Brian in secret, and Kevin found out and challenged him to "fight to the finish."  They were sword fighting, and I could just picture Brian about to save the day.  It was a great scene, and the chapter ended in the middle of it.

Great cliffhanger!  Brian was about to die, and... the story was never finished.  The site was closed soon after this.   :'(  She usually wrote happy endings, so I'm sure they somehow lived happily ever after.  I should mention that I was 14 when I read this.  Like Julie said: ignore the cheesiness.  LoL  It was just a very action packed scene, and one that has stayed with me a decade later.  I probably haven't thought about it in forever, but that is the first thing that came to mind when I read the topic.   :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:40:01 PM »

What are your favorites, Mare?

After I made this I thought, well now i'm going to have to come up with some answers. I'll have to think about it. I do have a few, but my memory is so sucky i'm just afriad i'll get the scene right but the actual story wrong or vice versa, so hopefully I won't offend anyone. lol
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 09:42:37 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 10:00:59 PM »

LOL I know what you mean.  I've read plenty of stories that are amazing, but don't have that single scene that stands out over the others.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 10:04:38 PM »

The thing is I remember scenes but because these stories are all so old, I have a hard time placing which story the scenes came from lol or if i'm getting part of a scene from one story and part from another and melding them together?

ForeverFrick

• Major Disruption
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 10:07:05 PM »

The thing is I remember scenes but because these stories are all so old, I have a hard time placing which story the scenes came from lol or if i'm getting part of a scene from one story and part from another and melding them together?

I know what you mean.  I have some scenes from stories I remember liking, but I can't remember the rest of the story well enough to put it into context and explain.  None of the sites I used to frequent when I first started reading fan fiction are still around, I wish I'd saved some stories! LoL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:10:25 PM »

^ me too lol

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 01:36:36 AM »

I like the sound of the medieval story!

I'll have a think about some of my favourite scenes and get back later.