Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32

Author Topic: Mare's update corner...Wow *cough* it sure is dusty in here!  (Read 58590 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Mare's update corner...Wow *cough* it sure is dusty in here!
« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2010, 07:50:30 PM »

Thanks guys. I know i'm being a ninny muggins, but I can't help it. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #121 on: October 09, 2010, 07:53:01 PM »

I don't know who ninny muggins is, but she can't be as awesome as Mare. Stop comparing yourself to whoever this fool is :P
Sarah

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #122 on: October 09, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »

LOL what's a ninny muggins? Is that like Mary Poppins's disfigured cousin?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #123 on: October 09, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »

You are definitely being a ninnymuggins.  A cotton-headed one.  I'll forgive you because I love you, but seriously, stop it.  I fell behind because of school and being braindead when I get home at night (I don't like to even read while braindead; it's hard LOL).  I caught up because I love this story, not because I felt obligated because you were asking for feedback.  You know me; normally that's the kind of thing that turns me off to a story!  You are too good for that. 

You're not the most popular author on AC for nothing!  People love your stories!  You just have to remember that not everyone is in a position to drop everything they're doing and leave a review as soon as you update, and if they don't review right away, it doesn't mean they didn't like it or aren't still reading.  You also have to remember that there may not be as many people even reading fanfic, period, since back in the days of Fly Fishing and Stays and Why I'd Do It All Again.  And finally, like Julilly pointed out, with the Most Recent flaw, people who don't have you favorited but are still reading may not even know you updated, so you're probably losing a few readers just to that.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with the story taking a direction people didn't like, but even if that was the case, so what?  It's YOUR story.  YOU'RE the only one who knows where it's going, and it's up to you to write it the way you're envisioning it.  It shouldn't matter if other people want it to go that way or not.  No one else knows where it's all going to end up; we're just along for the ride.  You're in the driver's seat!  People like me who are just enjoying the ride will stick with you to see how it all turns out.  So hurry up and write! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #124 on: October 09, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »

Wow you summed that up well, I can't think of anything to say but that.

Oh, and this...no one's told me what a ninnymuggins is yet :(...and is a cotton headed one itchier than a normal one? :) (Sorry, I'm feeling incredibly random today LOL)

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #125 on: October 09, 2010, 10:59:57 PM »

I don't think that everyone needs to drop what they're doing the second I update to leave me reviews. I updated that chapter a week ago. I'm sad that you think that's what I meant. I knew I should have just kept my mouth shut lol

I don't really care about review counts although now you all must think that's all I care about.

I know people get busy etc.. I do too. But when those people are reviewing other stories and still not yours, that's when you start to wonder if you're doing something wrong. At least that's where my insecurity came from this week. That's all.

I had a really bad and stressful week. When that happens, I turn to my fanfic world to make things better. Sometimes it works, and other times it doesn't.

Thanks for all the tough love though guys. I really do appreciate it. :)

I'm glad you all think i'm a good writer.

Oh and Rose, Ninny muggins is from Elf. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #126 on: October 09, 2010, 11:04:52 PM »

Thank you LOL. That's all I wanted to know :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #127 on: October 09, 2010, 11:11:31 PM »

Have you never seen Elf? If not you MUST rent it ASAP! It's epically funny.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #128 on: October 09, 2010, 11:12:51 PM »

I did last year, but I for whatever reason couldn't place the name LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #129 on: October 09, 2010, 11:13:15 PM »

I know you don't care all about review counts, and I also know it's kind of a downer when you've had really popular stories in the past or even gotten lots of reviews toward the beginning of a new story, and then the review count goes down.  But it happens, and sometimes it doesn't have to do anything with you or the story itself.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally, I reviewed no one's story this week and caught up on like five of them tonight.  I like to read when I have time to concentrate on it and am not going, "I just got home, and I haven't eaten all day, and my show starts in ten minutes, and I really wanna check the forums and Twitter before it comes on."  That was the kind of week I had this week - not bad, just long and busy.  I favorite stories I really care about following and reviewing, and I leave the emails in my inbox until I've read and reviewed as my reminder that they were updated.  But sometimes it just takes me a few days to get around to doing that, regardless of the story.

I hope next week is better for you, Mare!  And yes, Elf is great!  One of the best Will Ferrell movies.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #130 on: October 09, 2010, 11:35:45 PM »

I hope so too, although I think this is just the start of a really bad month. I may need some prozac before it's all over. lol

Thanks again Julie.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #131 on: October 09, 2010, 11:36:36 PM »

*hugs for Mare*

We need a group hug smiley here.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #132 on: October 09, 2010, 11:42:17 PM »

Aww, poor Mare.  Take some Zoloft - or some ecstasy - so you can be a happy pebble again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHG8cjI5B-w&feature=related
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #133 on: October 09, 2010, 11:50:29 PM »

LMFAO! That's lovely.

I hate those like depression meds commercials (real ones) though. They're a huge part of why Depression is over diagnosed.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: October 10, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »

LOL you know it's bad when one of the side effects is "suicidal thoughts."  Um... isn't that what the medication is supposed to treat???

All I know is that my sister tried every one of those when she was in high school - Prozac, Zoloft, and everything in between - and none of them helped her depression.  She finally went off all of them, has been off them for probably three years now, and she's great!  I haven't gotten a suicidal phone call from her in years.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32