Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What's your fanfic "niche"?  (Read 9955 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: What's your fanfic "niche"?
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:04 PM »

did we uh, hijack this thread?
:stabbitystab: BUUAHAHAHAAA.. .

at least we're on topic.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »

We're still talking about fanfic....lol So...maybe? :shrug:
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 07:24:08 AM »

Ohhh... I got'cha. That was part of the problem I was having with the original version of HTSAL/Time Watcher. The original version was repetitive and it wasn't working towards what I wanted to accomplish as the point of the story, like the "moral of the story" thing. When I reworked the idea and got past that rut, it flowed easily

Aww that's too bad because I really loved your original version of the story. I get what you mean though. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work.

To veer even more off topic but yet keeping it about writing yay! lol

I know i've seen a few people say they don't want to read something unless they know it's complete.  Fanfic is like a soap opera for most people we need our small doses throughout the day. I think for fanfic it's important to post as you go for that reason except when it comes to something like totally reworking a story. I give you credit for taking it down and starting over. I have wanted to do that more than once but just felt like it was too late. lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 07:25:10 AM »

I don't think it's off topic unless it goes more of an annoying chatting, personal jokes, half the people don't get what you mean but one other person does route lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:47 AM »

Yeah, this is still a good fanfic discussion, even if it's evolved from the original topic.  I like talking shop like this! :)

I definitely don't have the willpower to write a whole story without posting it LOL.  Even when I was trying to write an "original novel," I still couldn't resist putting it up for people to read as I went along.  I can't help it; I like feedback, and it's such a motivating force.  I write mostly because I like to write, not because I want the praise for it, but at the same time, when I get something I'm proud of, I can't wait to share it with other people.

I do admire those who can wait till they have a finished product to start posting it, though, cause I really hate leaving things unfinished.  I always hold off on posting till I know the story is flowing and feel like the motivation is there for me to be able to keep writing on it, but even then, it doesn't always happen.  I hate leaving people hanging as much as I hate being left hanging as a reader, but it happens.  It takes me so long to write a story from beginning to end these days, I'd go years without updating if I made myself finish a story before I started posting it LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:14 AM »

I like posting as I go too, because sometimes the comments you get in reviews and people's reactions can give you a heads up if something's not working. It allows you to catch some of those plot holes earlier on. Plus, like Julie said, it's more motivating.

I am definitely an outliner. But I hate it when things don't all end up coming together at the end. If things are left unanswered I want to shoot someone. (Hence the reason I couldn't watch LOST after season two. lol) I start with beginning, act 1 break, midpoint, act 2 break, and end. Then I figure out all sub plots and plot them in the outline. But I never really plot out any specific scenes because you just can't tell how it's all going to happen until your characters get involved and take over for you. But there are a million ways to accomplish everything that needs to happen. I find that when my outline does change, the same goals are always achieved, it's just how they happen that's different.   

For some reason I don't think I just made any sense. Sorry. I know what 'm trying to say, just having a hard time putting it into words.

So, to add back to the original question, (it's nice not to be the hijacker for once!) Is your fanfic reading niche different from your book reading niche?

I tend to read pretty much the same types of fan fics as I do books.

I've found that it's a little different with writing. I write differently when I'm writing fan fic then I do when I'm writing original fiction. Maybe it's because I have specific characters I have to work with. I always feel like I have a lot less freedom when writing fan fic so I stay within some specific guidelines. But I can go anywhere I want in original fiction.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2010, 11:53:44 AM »

That totally makes sense, Kelly.  That's usually how I do it too, outline the main stuff and then fill in the gaps as I go.  Sometimes I have an idea of how a scene will play out in my head, but that part I don't usually plan ahead much; however it comes out is how it will be.

That's an interesting point about writing original fiction vs. fanfic.  I don't write enough original fic to know, but I imagine it would be kind of different.  There are some storylines that just don't work for the Backstreet Boys LOL, even as an AU, so it is kind of limiting in that sense.
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »

I feel limited with the fanfic, too, especially in the angsty type stories that involve deaths. It feels weird writing deaths for actual people... Like controversial. I remember when I was working on How To Save a Life, I got a review bashing me for Brian & Leighanne's times because "it was creepy" that I was "predicting their deaths"... I don't know why people got so freaked out about it there but not over fics that actually had killed them off already or during the plotline, but hey. To each their own. I do see why that would be weird, though.

That said, as long as I do not include death scenes, I feel a lot can be learned from the threat/concept of death and dying, and therefore a lot of my more serious fiction (fan & original) revolve around the central theme of a death or impending death. I have always felt that way, and feel that way even more now, after having lost my Mom to cancer. Death can be beautiful in a mysterious, deeper way than most people see. I try to convey that in my stories.

The theme of death and conquering it and putting meaning/fulfillment into it is also what attracts me to the Harry Potter books.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2010, 04:00:34 PM »

It is hard to write something without posting it. Because as both Julie and Kelly said, getting that feedback as you go along is so important. Not that I write for feedback, but oh lord does it help! When I get little feedback I become less and less motivated to post more because I start doubting myself especially when there's a drop in feedback from one chapter to the next. Do you guys find that too?

But when people seem to really love what you write and give you lots of feedback, it just motivates me to keep going. I would never be one of those douchy authors who say I won't update unless I get reviews! lmao that's just attention seeking but I do think overall reviews are really important for all of us to keep wanting to write.

That being said, I have been so tempted to just start posting SW but i'm trying really hard not to! lol

As far as death scenes, I know I joke a lot about some people and their desire to constanly kill Kevin lol but I don't mind reading deaths if they are meaningful. I hate when characters are killed just for the pure shock factor and no other real reason, in fanfic and books and even movies and TV! Death scenes are awesome and powerful when they are done correctly!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

Not that I write for feedback, but oh lord does it help! When I get little feedback I become less and less motivated to post more because I start doubting myself especially when there's a drop in feedback from one chapter to the next. Do you guys find that too?
YES!!!! ah, after I do an update I go nuts refreshing the page to see if I got a review.. I'm awful. It's like a cliffhanger for ME to see how people like it! I adore reviews!! But you're right, I could never be like "review or else I stop" either. Thats just stupid, lol

I don't mind reading deaths if they are meaningful. I hate when characters are killed just for the pure shock factor and no other real reason, in fanfic and books and even movies and TV! Death scenes are awesome and powerful when they are done correctly!
Exactly.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »

I don't have a problem with deaths either.  Yes, it's real people we're writing about, but it's also fiction.  We're making stuff up, and unless any of us psychic or some kind of voodoo masters, most of it will never come true.  That's the fun in it, exploring the "What ifs."
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 06:52:27 PM »

:D voodoo masters... *rolls*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2010, 07:09:17 PM »

I am a voodoo master in training. :) lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2010, 08:06:37 PM »

death... torture... die nicky die!!!!! 

not that I really want to see it happen *darts eyes around*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary