Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Summaries  (Read 7554 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Summaries
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »

Thanks!  I know I responded to this topic back in the summer, but I agree with you and most everyone who has responded - short and vague with just a hint of intrigue is usually what I prefer, too.  From the writer side of things, I don't like to give too much away about the plot of the story - one, because I like to keep it to myself, and two, because sometimes I'm afraid people won't want to read it if they know what it's going to be about upfront LOL.  Sometimes I feel the need to lure them in and get them hooked, then spring the real plot on them.

From the reader side, I like the intrigue, too, and a summary that's vague enough to sound like it might be interesting will at least get me to click and check it out, whereas a summary that's detailed enough to make me think I won't enjoy it will not get me to click at all.

One recent summary I actually really liked once I read the whole thing was this one, for "Suddenly I See" by BiancaRJ:

She's a foreign post graduate student at NYU and she's ready to take the greatest career opportunity of her life.

He's returning to the group he left almost 8 years ago as a new chance is given to him.

She's carefree and outspoken

He's focused on work and very, very serious.

She knew she would easily fit in.

He knew he would have a hard time adjusting to the new dynamic of the group.

She wanted to be taken seriously as an entertainment reporter.

He has always been very cautious when it comes to the media.

They would probably end up hating each other.

This is not their love story.

But suddenly he'll see why the hell she means so much to him.

I really liked it cause of the part I bolded; it started out like so many of the typical romance summaries do, and then she threw that twist on it, and that actually got me to click on the story, cause I thought it was clever.  So sometimes long summaries work too. :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2010, 03:08:34 PM »

See, I think that bolded line is very clever but I think the summary itself is entirely too long. I think if she managed to cut down half of the facts she has on there it would be just as effective.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2010, 03:13:08 PM »

I saw that summary too, Julie and I agree with both you and Mare. I did find the bolded part intriguing but it was a bit long for me.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2010, 03:13:24 PM »

Yeah, probably just three sets of facts would get the same idea across, but I also think it just LOOKS long because it's so spaced out, one sentence per line.  If it were condensed into a paragraph, it wouldn't seem AS long.  That said, there's something to be said for character development - working those details into the story instead of spelling them out in the summary (which I think she did).  Still, just the cleverness of that one line was enough to make ME click on a KEVIN ROMANCE to check it out.  Can I tell you how many Kevin romances I've read before?  Um, ZERO.  So props to Bianca LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2010, 03:18:38 PM »

LOL yes, definite props to her.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sevily

• Innocent Bystander
  • The drumbeat is the sound my heart makes.
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2010, 03:29:42 PM »

I suck at summaries.  I think my two stories on here have summaries that are just one sentence each haha
"My best dreams and worst nightmares have the same people in them."

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 03:30:43 PM »

There's a great amount of thought that goes into summaries in general. I just look at it as a teaser trailer. Someone told me once. Its harder than writing the story.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 03:32:57 PM »

I think it's much harder than writing a story. To find the exact, right thing to say to have someone click on your story or read a novel without throwing it in the garbage can be really stressful, especially the second scenerio. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

It really is!  And sometimes it's hard when you're just starting a story and don't know exactly where you're going with it yet, cause I feel like to write a summary, you need to know what the story is really about, even if you don't include all that in the summary itself.  I'm a planner/outliner, and even I find that tough with certain ideas.  I really struggled with that Curtain Call summary because all I really had was a premise... a premise I didn't want to give away... and not a real clear idea on where it was all going yet.  I'm happy with how it turned out, though.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2010, 03:38:15 PM »

Oh, I know what you mean. I agree, I think it's really important to have some idea of where you are going with the story in order to give a decent summary but if you kind of know at least the general idea, you could probably get through it with no problems.

Just no matter what, no one should use the I suck at summaries line for their summaries! lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2010, 03:46:09 PM »

LOL no, that's a cop-out; I hate that!  At least come up with a vague one-liner.  Vague is the way to go if you don't have more than a general idea of where it's going, anyway LOL.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »

I have a hard time with summaries, but I think I'm getting better with them. I usually just keep writing out different ones until I find the one that fits.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »

LOL no, that's a cop-out; I hate that!  At least come up with a vague one-liner.  Vague is the way to go if you don't have more than a general idea of where it's going, anyway LOL.

I'm the queen of vague but sometimes that can be really confusing. I don't wanna mess with peoples' heads.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

shadesmaclean

• Major Disruption
  • The Spooky Door
    • The Spooky Door
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »

What makes a good summary to you?

What kind of summary makes you actually click on a story to give it a try?

As a writer, what kind of summaries do you usually write?

There is definitely an art to it, and it's one I still have a long way to go at myself.

The summaries that are turn offs are the ones with way too much detail. You know what ones I mean, the ones with like two paragraphs and is almost like a short story in itself.

Yeah, I've noticed that I tend to gloss over any summary that's more than one paragraph, or looks like a wall of text.

The things that draw me in are the simple ones that don't totally give away what the story is about but gives enough detail to let me know it's the kind of thing I would want to read.

That's what often happens with long-winded summaries, one of the reasons I avoid them, aside from the fact that Text-O-Wall usually screams to me "Author doesn't know what s/he's doing."

She had a dream. He had a secret. They had a deal. In exchange for her silence, he’d make her dream come true. But at what cost?

I agree, that is an excellent summary. It establishes tension, conflict, and important thematic elements, without the Information Dump.

It makes a couple promises: secrets, and how far people will go to keep them; and dreams, and how far people will go to fulfill them. As long as the story delivers on these two promises, then that summary was probably the best possible choice for it.

I tend to write wordy summaries that describe the character more than the actual story (see the summary for The Time Watcher for example). I do feel that shorter summaries are more effective/better, though.

That is a different approach than I've seen in most summaries, but some care must be taken with the description to make sure people don't glance at it and think "Mary Sue / Marty Stu" without reading any further.

I never know if I'm giving too much away or not giving away enough to intrigue the reader. Sometimes they come really easily for me and sometimes they don't.

They tend to be hit and miss for me, as well. There are still some I wrote years ago that I'm still a little iffy on, yet I can't seem to come up with anything better, so I just stuck with them.

And sometimes it's hard when you're just starting a story and don't know exactly where you're going with it yet, cause I feel like to write a summary, you need to know what the story is really about, even if you don't include all that in the summary itself.

Wow, and I thought it was tough coming up with summaries for finished stories!  :o (Though I guess that brings up the completely different issue of deciding whether or not to wait until a story is complete before releasing any of it.)

Though the Fictionpress site rubs me the wrong way in most regards, there was one thing about starting there that I think set me on the path to writing presentable summaries. There's a 188 character limit on story summaries there, so all of my original summaries are written with this very practical restriction, forcing some brevity and focus on someone as wordy as myself. My point is not really about the exact number, so much as it about how placing a cap forces you to stay on-point. With the exception of the Book of Hondo, all the summaries I've ever written are 188 characters or shorter, for better or worse.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 05:12:45 PM by shadesmaclean »
-Standing backwards, Scoot.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2011, 07:49:12 PM »

I think having a word limit for anything is the best practice you could get as a writer because it really challenges you to figuree out what's important and what's just excess baggage! I always used to use a word limit for my challenges but too many people had a problem with it. lol In the real world though, most people set a word limit when it comes to submitting things.

I love that fiction press sets a character limit on their summaries!
Pages: 1 2 [3]