Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: favorite scenes/chapters  (Read 9496 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
favorite scenes/chapters
« on: July 20, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »

So, while we were discussing the whole is real person fanific weird or not topic in the Debate section, Julie mentioned a chapter of her and Rose's Undead story and said it was one of her favorite chapters she had ever written. That got me thinking that maybe it would be a good topic. I put it here since it's not really a debatable topic unless someone comes in and disagrees with what you say? lol Stranger things have happened I guess.

Anyway, up to now, what has been your all time favorite chapter or scene from anything you have ever written and why?

What has been the hardest scene or chapter you have ever written and why?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

Re: favorite scenes/chapters
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 12:19:24 PM »

I think my favorite chapter I've ever written is in my latest story, "We Weren't Crazy" (the spin-off to "I Wanna Be Bad"). I know it's not on AC, but Chapter 15 was hilarious for me to write.  Nick is basically being told he's got a low sperm count. He and his wife (Tara from IWBB) are having problems having a baby. He gets paranoid because he swears the nurse he had to take his "sample" to is a fan and he's seen her in the audience. Just his reaction to it all is hilarious to me. All of it's readers seemed to love it too.

http://my-confession.net/novels/we-werent-crazy/chapter-15-i-got-you

The hardest things for me to ever write were definitely AJ going to rehab in "I Wanna Be Bad." We tried to follow everything that happened on the B&B tour and that whole thing was really hard to write. Also, for me personally, it was hard to write several scenes in "All Or Nothing." It was an earlier story of mine, but the abusive relationship in it was hard for me to write.

Krys1984

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »

I think my favorite chapter I've ever written is in my latest story, "We Weren't Crazy" (the spin-off to "I Wanna Be Bad"). I know it's not on AC, but Chapter 15 was hilarious for me to write.  Nick is basically being told he's got a low sperm count. He and his wife (Tara from IWBB) are having problems having a baby. He gets paranoid because he swears the nurse he had to take his "sample" to is a fan and he's seen her in the audience. Just his reaction to it all is hilarious to me. All of it's readers seemed to love it too.

ROFL "jackin in a cup" i still laugh over that.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 08:36:32 PM »

I have no idea. I'll have to think about this.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 09:23:54 PM »

Yup, same here. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »

I'll have to have a think too.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:48 AM »

I still haven't decided on a favorite yet.

One of the hardest? It's from Remember Me This Way...

http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10108&chapter=5

It's when you find out basically the premise of the story. I wrote and rewrote, and kept asking Julie if it flowed...and I was just SO nervous about posting that chapter . It's a new type of story (for me) to write and so I was just paranoid of doing it wrong. Or having people hate it (even though I'd still write it anyway lol).

I'll get back to you on my fave thing.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 02:39:23 AM »

I still haven't decided on a favorite yet.

One of the hardest? It's from Remember Me This Way...

http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10108&chapter=5

It's when you find out basically the premise of the story. I wrote and rewrote, and kept asking Julie if it flowed...and I was just SO nervous about posting that chapter . It's a new type of story (for me) to write and so I was just paranoid of doing it wrong. Or having people hate it (even though I'd still write it anyway lol).

I'll get back to you on my fave thing.

I feel ya.  It's perfect though! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »

My favorite that I posted in the other thread is Chapter 31 of Song for the Undead: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9551&chapter=31
This was the first chapter that the "undead," a.k.a. zombies, were introduced, so it was a big part.  Up until that point, we had even posted the story under a different title so as not to spoil the moment where the dead came back to life, cause it was meant to be a shocker.  So not only is it a major plot point in the story, but the anticipation had built up so much in Rose and me that I really needed to do it justice and get it just right.  And I think I did; it came out exactly as I had imagined it in my mind.  It's only been about a year since I wrote that part, so it wasn't that long ago, but still, I reread that chapter the other night when I posted the link for Mare, and there was nothing in it that made me cringe, nothing I would want to change.

The one that always comes to mind for "hardest" is when I chopped off Nick's leg in Broken.  Starting with Chapter 106: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=5354&chapter=106
That one in particular I remember being really hard to write.  Again, I had built it up so much in my mind, but it wasn't just about doing it justice; I was kind of nervous about doing it at all.  At the time, it seemed to me like OMG the worst thing I could ever do to Nick in a fanfic (even though I'd killed the poor guy off before; go figure LOL).  I don't really feel that way anymore, but it did really kinda freak me out for awhile, and I was worried about the reaction and worried about my ability to write the rest of the story after that, and blah blah blah.  It turned out to be the best move I could have made for the story, I think, and my favorite section of Broken is that last third of the story, post-choppage LOL.  Maybe because it was such a challenge to write.

Sorry, I'm really long-winded. LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 02:56:09 AM »

I feel ya.  It's perfect though! :)

Thank you :)

I still cannot decide on a favorite LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 03:05:13 AM »

Okay, I think I have it.

Honestly I think my best writing has been in Undead and RMTW right now. (Maybe cause outside of 00Carter, I haven't touched anything else in awhile lol). And as I was looking through, trying to figure it out...

I think my fave thing I've written (thus far, theres stuff planned but unwritten right now that I would like to think can challenge it once I do write it)

It's a tie between a chapter I wrote for Undead, and a chapter I wrote in RMTW. The RMTW one, is when Nick breaks down and tells Kevin. I got misty eyed just writing it.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10108&textsize=0&chapter=8

And then...(other end of the spectrum LOL) it's Chapter 32 from Undead. Now following up Julie's chapter was sooooo difficult. Because of the buildup, because she executed hers so flawlessly.

However, Nick in an empty hospital (well empty of life), combined with zombies and Thriller? I love it to death. http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9551&chapter=32

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 07:45:40 AM »

After noticing that only one person repsonded to this and LOL Karah with the sperm count thing. I was going to come in and say maybe it would be easier if instead of you giving us your favoirte things to write, other people should come in and say what they thought was their favorite scenes of stories that have been written.

So, if anyone wants to jump in with answering that question go ahead. Sometimes it's fun to see if what you think matches what the readers think.

I can say that when Nick decides to go ahead with the leg choppage in Broken is my favorite chapter which is my favorite you story Julie.

And Rose, I agree with you about the scene where Nick tells Kevin in RMTW. I think as of now that's my favorite chapter of yours!

As far as me, I still don't know lol Thinking about it made me realize two things

1) I've written a lot of crap lol

2) I have a horrible memory!

I'm going to try to answer today.

Another scene of someone else's that sticks out in my mind is in Swollen Issues 2 I think? Where Nick gets really ill after the chemo for the first time and Kevin stays up in the bathroom with him all night. I don't remember if that was a Jenna or a Swenglish chapter but I remember it being majorly powerful.

I'll have to think of more!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 08:28:17 AM »

This question only made me realize... I don't have anything that stands out, especially in my mind.

BUT... if I had to choose something as being the hardest to write I suppose I would pick Chapter 5 of Hawk and a Handsaw, the flashback scene. It actually wasn't technically hard to write, it flowed really well (back when things flowed for me lol) but it was difficult to get the pictures from my head to be words on the page.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10084&textsize=0&chapter=5

Definitely the choppage chapter stands out for me, and speaking of Julie the car accident chapter in By My Side is something that always stands out for me, that was a great chapter.

I, too, have a crap memory when it comes to things I've read apparently.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 08:50:34 AM »

Oh, man, it's been so long since I've looked at any of my stuff that I really can't remember what I liked about it.  None of it is at all comparable to the choppage chapter in Broken, or a LOT of BMS.  And, Rose, I triple agree with you on the telling Kevin chapter in Remember Me This Way.  That one hurt to read and I sped through it the first time before I could calmly come back and read it again.

Mare, yours is a hard one.  There is so much that I love from all of your stories that I don't even know what to pick. *sigh* I'll have to get back to you on that one!

Ok, I still can't think of anything in particular from any of my stories that stands out to me, especially since I haven't really thought about them in almost 2 years. Meh.
Sarah

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »

Oh, Julilly! All of Hawk and a Handsaw was my favorite, but the one part that stood out for me was at the end when Brian is sitting in the police car and Nick is saying goodbye to him.  Brian crying, Nick fading away...I was a puddle of tears. *sigh*

You all are so good at writing such fabulous stories :)
Sarah
Pages: [1] 2 3 4