Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Grammar 101...  (Read 23372 times)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
Re: Grammar 101...
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2010, 02:02:22 PM »

Got a few more questions!

What are the rules for further and farther?

And when do you use who and whom? Same thing for what and which.

I'm never sure if I use them correctly, so I just pick the one that seems the most correct to me. But I'm always afraid I picked the wrong one!

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2010, 02:08:28 AM »

This is how I've always thought it to be:

Further = More
Farther = Longer distance

Examples:
1. "Are there any further questions about the assignment?"
2. "I'm too tired to hike any farther."

Not positive, but that's what I've always believed.
~ Amy.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #122 on: September 26, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »

Look! There are Grammar Nazis out there worse than most of us! lol

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130103176&sc=fb&cc=fp
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #123 on: September 26, 2010, 08:55:38 AM »

That is great! Thanks for sharing.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #124 on: September 26, 2010, 11:08:50 AM »

Aww, I didn't know there was a National Punctuation Day!  I could have celebrated with my class!  And next year it will probably be on a Saturday.  Boo!

I love that article!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2010, 06:54:27 AM »

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #126 on: September 30, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »

Look! There are Grammar Nazis out there worse than most of us! lol

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130103176&sc=fb&cc=fp

Haha! My former English teacher uses that website for assignments! :o She clicks on "Listen to the Story" and then we have to take notes. She asks us questions to see how good we are at hearing and understanding English. Funny to see the website back!

Great article btw! The commas are still an issue for me, but all the rest is a pet peeve to me as well.  

yorkielover88

« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2010, 11:38:22 AM »

What the right way to spell and use... A lot? Allot? Alot?

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »

a lot
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2010, 05:20:34 PM »

A lot, meaning a great deal. Think of it this way, the opposite of a lot would be a little. You wouldn't say alittle.

Of course, a lot could also be used in the context of "A lot of five computers" lot meaning a set of objects.

Allot is a completely different word. You allot an object, it's a verb. "I will allot 10 minutes for my speech."
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 05:03:14 PM »

Man, I've been googling grammar a lot today in my writing.  Do you ever have those moments where you're not sure which word is right?  I've done it twice today, with shined vs. shone (as in "shined a flashlight") and racked vs. wracked (as in "racked my brain").  I did not too long ago with some other verb that I wasn't sure of the past tense.  The English language can be so confusing, with all its rule-breakers and homophones!  I consider myself a Grammar Nazi, and even I second guess myself and have to look stuff up sometimes.
~Julie

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 05:31:05 PM »

I have the same thing with "raised" and "rose". I just guess most of the time but I'm still anxious. I guess every language has a few rule-breakers and exceptions. Dutch has it too but that whole language doesn't make sense LOL. Especially Dutch grammar is confusing and illogical so major thumbs up to people emigrating to Holland and have to learn the language.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2010, 05:42:48 PM »

That's another good one!  Kinda like "shined/shone" or "laid/lay" (which is even more confusing).  "Raised" is the past tense of "raise," and "rose" is the past tense of "rise."  "Raise" and "rise" are similar, but not quite the same.  I raised my glass as the sun rose... "raise" is something you do to an object, but if the object is doing it itself, it's "rise" - if that makes any kind of sense.  I know it has to be even harder when English isn't your first language and you're not sure what SOUNDS right.
~Julie

alota_cookin

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2010, 10:33:38 PM »

I try my very best to use proper grammar....but just reading this gives me one hell of a headache!  LMAO!

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #134 on: November 28, 2010, 04:55:21 PM »

That's another good one!  Kinda like "shined/shone" or "laid/lay" (which is even more confusing).  "Raised" is the past tense of "raise," and "rose" is the past tense of "rise."  "Raise" and "rise" are similar, but not quite the same.  I raised my glass as the sun rose... "raise" is something you do to an object, but if the object is doing it itself, it's "rise" - if that makes any kind of sense.  I know it has to be even harder when English isn't your first language and you're not sure what SOUNDS right.

It does makes sense. :) So, you raise/raised your eyebrows? I think I keep switching between "I raised my eyebrows" and "I rose my eyebrows" in my fanfics LOL. It's like it's 50% correct. :D But I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to grammar and spelling, so I still want to know which 50% is correct.

When it comes to these kind of words, I have NO idea what sounds right, exactly. Most of the time I can hear what sounds completely wrong but not with these ones. :P

Oooh! I just thought of another one that I'm always not sure of. The past tense of "to learn". Is that "learned" or "learnt"? Mostly, when I read a word, I can sense if it's wrong or right but I have double feelings with these ones. :shrug:
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10