Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you try to read your readers work?  (Read 6923 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Do you try to read your readers work?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »

That's the worst! Every time I see a story like that, after the first chapter, I refuse to read it again. I think it would be very Good Samaritan of you to fix it for her :P

That's what I thought... But one of my friends over there called it "abusing my powers"... And I was like, well, is it abuse if I'm doing it for the good of the board communnity? :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 04:03:22 PM »

I think you have the paitence of a saint Dee... I've tried going through and editing other writers paragraphs. Its just not worth the aggravation sometimes.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2007, 04:05:22 PM »

I think you have the paitence of a saint Dee... I've tried going through and editing other writers paragraphs. Its just not worth the aggravation sometimes.

Well, I haven't actually done it. :D

I just go, "Ooh, the fan fic forum is updated! Gah!!! It's one of her 'lord, who knows who is speaking' fan fics'!" And then I ignore it and just mark the whole forum as having been read. :D
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2007, 05:03:35 PM »

A lot of my loyal readers end up becoming friends of mine, and if they write too, I usually end up reading their stories out of interest because they are friends of mine or because they, knowing me and liking my work, ask to be hosted on my site.  I've discovered a lot of really talented writers that way.  Sarah (starbeamz2) is one of them. :)

That said, I don't have much time to read for fun anymore, so except for the stories that I've been following for the last few years, I haven't read much fanfic lately.  On AC, I will sometimes check out the profiles and stories of people who leave me reviews, just out of curiosity, but I don't necessarily feel obligated to read their stories.  I appreciate the fact that they read mine and review, but as Mare pointed out, I hope that they did that because they genuinely like my work, not because they were just trying to plug theirs.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2007, 05:18:01 PM »

Thanks for all your opinions! Yea I wouldn't want reviews because someone feels obligated. I hope they'd enjoy my story anyway if they are reading it. I agree with Kelly though about it being sad that a lot of us are "bored" with fan fiction. How do we write it if we're bored by reading it? If so many of us are bored then that must mean less people are reading in general. Could it be because ts just a dead period with the guys right now?

I know the tendency of many fics is for the SAME things to happen and certain plotlines seem to go in cycles. (Is it just me or am I seeing a lot of rape victim stories lately?) That does get boring after a while, but I personally try not to rule out one particular genre or plotline right off the bat. I at least attempt to start it because there have been cases where I've read a story in a genre I'd normally glance over such as sci-fi or fantasy and have actually enjoyed it. Plus, then I feel like I'm ignoring talented authors who don't get read as much because of their genre. If I get bored or can't follow the plot then I give up, but I like to try not to juge a book by its cover or the number of reviews it has. I know some GREAT stories who have hardly any reviews and some not so great ones that have a couple hundred.

I also try to take into account (especially in longer fics) that the beginning may have been written awhile ago and the author has improved quite a bit over the course of the story. I can think of a few stories that in the beginning I really had to force myself through thinking it was a "teeny" fic but in the end the pay off was amazing.

I totally agree with everything you said here.  I unfortunately don't read as much as I used to, but I still like to read; I don't think I'm "bored" with it.  I have several reasons for not doing it as much as I used to.  One is time, and, related to that, if I'm reading, it means I'm not writing, and I love writing and don't have enough free time to do it as it is, so if I have the choice and am inspired, I'll usually try writing on my own story instead of looking for another story to read.  Another reason is that anymore, I do find it hard to find a story that really sucks me in... part of it is me, being too picky and having too short of an attention span, and part of it might be a lack of stories with that nice balance between originality and total "out there"ness.  I get tired of seeing the same old stuff all the time too... and yeah, the rape fics have always been a big one.  That storyline's never really appealed to me though, except in one case, but of course, that story was never finished. Blah.

On the other hand, I try not to rule a story out just because of its genre or storyline either.  Cause I've read fantastic stories of all genres and with all those cliched plots.  Opening act romance... one of my favorite trilogies starts out as one of those.  Bus crash fic... Whitney Richter's "Where Can We Go From Here" is one of my all-time favorites.  Cancer fic... 2 words: Swollen Issues.  Kidnapping/Stalker story:  I've read quite a few awesome ones with this sort of plot.  I think a lot of these storylines become so overused because they're GOOD!  With the right author, that is.  A truly good writer can take an overused storyline and pump some new life into it and come out with a really amazing story.

And I know personally, my story Broken is a perfect example of what you said last, about the beginning being crappy, but the story improving as it goes on cause the writer got better. ;)   Not saying that the ending is amazing, but it's certainly better than the beginning, I think LOL.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2007, 05:50:13 PM »

On the other hand, I try not to rule a story out just because of its genre or storyline either.  Cause I've read fantastic stories of all genres and with all those cliched plots.  Opening act romance... one of my favorite trilogies starts out as one of those.  Bus crash fic... Whitney Richter's "Where Can We Go From Here" is one of my all-time favorites.  Cancer fic... 2 words: Swollen Issues.  Kidnapping/Stalker story:  I've read quite a few awesome ones with this sort of plot.  I think a lot of these storylines become so overused because they're GOOD!  With the right author, that is.  A truly good writer can take an overused storyline and pump some new life into it and come out with a really amazing story.

I should clarify what I said earlier lol I really have tried to read stories etc... gotten a few chapters in and then suddenly it turns into a fic I have no interest in. I do look at the genre but the summary also has a lot to do with it as well. It seriously just has to pop out at me to get me to read it.

And I agree with what you said too Mel and I also think it's sad that we aren't reading but like Julie said in her post I just think it's mainly a time issue with most of us. When you find the time to do one or the other I know for me the answer is obvious. I enjoy writing more than reading so I always go for that option. Plus for me as well, I don't enjoy getting sucked into a story that in the end will never be finished. That is the worst , to get all involved and invested in a story and suddenly have the person disappear. It's happened more than once and it sucks major monkey butts!

The other thing is sometimes when reading you think it's going to be an incredible story but ten chapters in suddenly a new character (for me usually Aaron lol) gets introduced and takes center stage and I almost feel gipped that I spent so much time on it lol

I know as i've gotten older I have grown very picky about what I read. I know what I like now when it comes to BSB fanfic. I know that if it's mainly centered on anyone other than Kevin and Nick, i'm not going to enjoy it. I know I don't enjoy reading about the families (i.e. Baylee, Leigh, Kristin etc...) and I know I don't like the girl centered stories. I know what you mean too, there are  a lot of sexual assault ones up now, those aren't for me either.

So, yes even though I do look at the genre before reading NOW lol I didn't always do that. This is just a lately thing for me.

And I know i'm probably missing a lot of great writers in the process but it's kind of like the whole you either like Nicholas Sparks or you don't thing. He may be a great writer but I can't get past two chapter of any of his books without saying eh, not for me. lol

I am loving this thread and everyone's different points of view.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »

It is kind of unfortunate being one of those writers in the.... less than popular generes though...
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 09:30:25 PM »

^ But you always have those readers who can't stand the popular genres, like romance.  Some people LIVE for sci-fi, fantasy, and the like.

The way it is with Bsb fanfic though, if you're really desperate for readers and feedback, you know what kind of story to write that is most likely to attract them.  If you just want to write something that is interesting and appealing to YOU, write what you want, and certainly someone out there will love it too.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »

That's true. :)

And I have yet to write a story for the sake of feedback anyway.

When I do, please take away my license.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 09:55:15 PM »

^ But you always have those readers who can't stand the popular genres, like romance.  Some people LIVE for sci-fi, fantasy, and the like.

The way it is with Bsb fanfic though, if you're really desperate for readers and feedback, you know what kind of story to write that is most likely to attract them.  If you just want to write something that is interesting and appealing to YOU, write what you want, and certainly someone out there will love it too.

Couldn't have said it better myself so i'll just plagerize it and call myself Tonja lmao :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 10:00:34 PM »

And I know personally, my story Broken is a perfect example of what you said last, about the beginning being crappy, but the story improving as it goes on cause the writer got better. ;)   Not saying that the ending is amazing, but it's certainly better than the beginning, I think LOL.

How ironic because Broken was exactly the example I was thinking of when I mentioned a story who at the beginning had me kind of scratching my head and going Hmm... I think it was the whole Leah being a stripper and her cheating on Nick w/ Justin that made me think Oh god... How teeny! Then when Nick was diagnosed w/cancer I expected it to be a lot less researched than it was and one of those "cancer plots just to add some more cheap thrills to the story." I actually stopped reading it after maybe the first 20 chapters I guess and then one day I picked it up again and I think I read it straight through I was so enthralled with it. Towards the middle of the story I couldn't even remember the beginning anyway. So, yea your fic is a great example of that. I know I'm embarassed at the beginning of UMS, but I'm too lazy to rewrite the beginning now. I prefer not to go back and change too many things in my stories. I'd rather just write better and better with each chapter.

Mare's comment about girl centered fan fics reminded me. I forget that a lot of people argue that in fan fiction they wanna read from the celebrities POV, not from the original character. I've always prefered to write girl centered fics though. To me writing is a great way to release a lot of the feelings I'm going through, so I tend to vent through my heroines I guess. I've gotten a lot better with trying to get the guys perspective too, but I've always had a hard time writing about just the guys being themselves although I love reading about it.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 10:09:30 PM »

Uhhh what is reading???  LOL no I try really I try to read stories but I usually read stories by names I'm familiar with anymore. So if you've reviewed me I'm more likely to read your story cause I remember your name! :-D

OOOH Mare, you know some people stick romance in their description just because there will be some love line in it but don't let that phase you about my stories... I'm the queen of the non-gushy ending (More Than That excluded). Or at least I try to end my stories like no one expects but *snaps fingers* someone always seems to guess it before.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 11:11:19 PM »

Mare's comment about girl centered fan fics reminded me. I forget that a lot of people argue that in fan fiction they wanna read from the celebrities POV, not from the original character. I've always prefered to write girl centered fics though. To me writing is a great way to release a lot of the feelings I'm going through, so I tend to vent through my heroines I guess. I've gotten a lot better with trying to get the guys perspective too, but I've always had a hard time writing about just the guys being themselves although I love reading about it.

I know in the one fic I do do first person with, its kind of nice having that female perspective to write from. The main character isn't me, but I can relate to her and the story for me flows when I write. I get a kick bouncing from her POV to Nick's lol, cause lets face it, Nick is a guy, that its fun to get in his head.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2007, 10:49:42 PM »

How ironic because Broken was exactly the example I was thinking of when I mentioned a story who at the beginning had me kind of scratching my head and going Hmm... I think it was the whole Leah being a stripper and her cheating on Nick w/ Justin that made me think Oh god... How teeny! Then when Nick was diagnosed w/cancer I expected it to be a lot less researched than it was and one of those "cancer plots just to add some more cheap thrills to the story." I actually stopped reading it after maybe the first 20 chapters I guess and then one day I picked it up again and I think I read it straight through I was so enthralled with it. Towards the middle of the story I couldn't even remember the beginning anyway. So, yea your fic is a great example of that. I know I'm embarassed at the beginning of UMS, but I'm too lazy to rewrite the beginning now. I prefer not to go back and change too many things in my stories. I'd rather just write better and better with each chapter.

Hehe... yeah, the begining of Broken is awful; like you with UMS, I would love to go back and rewrite it, but 1) I'm too lazy, and 2) I also like to keep stories as they are so that I can look back on them later and see how much I've improved.  It's funny though, because I started out Broken trying to disguise what kind of story it was really going to be, and that probably attracted less readers than if I'd just made it obvious from the get go LOL.  Anyway, thanks for giving it a second try, and I'm flattered that you like it. ;D
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2]