Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fanfic trends  (Read 6216 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Fanfic trends
« on: September 06, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »

I was just skimming through the first page of recent updates on AC and realized that, of the 15 stories there at the time of my posting this (all Bsb fics), 9 of them are stories about the Boys' fictional siblings or children.  Is that the new trend? LOL

I guess the sibling thing is nothing new; I've been reading fanfic for 11 years, and the stories about long-lost sisters were around then, too.  It's just funny all these stories are popping up at the same time.  Are we bored with writing about the Boys themselves, so we're inventing fictional family members to write about instead?

It's interesting to see trends like that pop up in fanfic.  I wonder if everyone got the same idea at the same time, or if they're inspired by each other or the Boys having kids in real life, or what.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Fanfic trends
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 06:57:46 PM »

I gotta say I've noticed it too lol. And it makes you wonder cause in these, the kids are the main focus. It's not about Nick or Brian, etc dealing with being a backstreet dad. Instead, it's about the kid dealing with being a backstreet kid, and they're the main focus.

It looks like it's a trend cause it's been all over the most recent pages lately lol. To each their own, but for me, it's odd. I dunno, I read fanfic to read about the Boys as the focus. Not so much to read about their made up family LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 07:03:13 PM »

Hey, whatever floats your boat.  I just thought it was interesting that there were so many like that on the same page.

(Though, personally, I'd rather read stories about the Boys themselves, too.)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 07:11:33 PM »

I've said it before and i'll say it again. It's Backstreet Boys fanfiction. Everything else I poo poo  :plugears: <-- me poo pooing lol

Nah, seriously not sure why trends happen. When Baylee was born there was an influx of kiddie stories.

At least they're not all joining a mini BSB band (or are they? lol)

It seems like there's turn around for everything. Maybe when this trend dies out writing about the actual boys will come back. Maybe? Hopefully? lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »

I'd love for writing about the actual Boys to come back. That would be nice lol. But hey, whatever people love to do. Writing is for yourself, rather than others. So if that's what people dig... whatever lol. I'll just look for what floats my boat.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

That's what I do too. I know exactly what I like when it comes to reading fanfic so when I see a story that catches my eye I get all excited.

Diet Coke floats my boat! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:00:12 PM »

I noticed that trend too. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

yorkielover88

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »

The only non-slash story I have written that dose not bring a fictional character into play is: whip it good.
99.9% of everything I have ever written deals with either a fictional character or false information such as Kevin being Nick and Aaron's father.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 09:23:18 AM »

The only non-slash story I have written that dose not bring a fictional character into play is: whip it good.
99.9% of everything I have ever written deals with either a fictional character or false information such as Kevin being Nick and Aaron's father.

Most of us use fictional characters, I don't think that's what they mean. Original characters are used in probably 99% of fanfic (the other 1% being anything written by Mare :P).

At one point in fanfic trends most stories featured a BSB as the main character, then slowly original characters started becoming the focal points of stories with the BSB as supporting characters. Like most trends that did start to switch back and I'd say now it's a split between people who use a Backstreeter as the main character and those who don't.

But the new trend seems to be not making the story about the BSB at all. It's told from the perspective of an original character, featuring all original characters, with the only BSB connection being that of a parent.

I believe it can be done well but in order to legitimately say it's fanfic it needs to be about the Backstreet Boys with their children as the supporting characters. The trend seems to be the opposite which, in some stories, wouldn't come close to being fanfic. You can't write fanfic about someone you made up.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 09:26:03 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

yorkielover88

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 10:15:04 AM »

Ok  so I guess what I mean is that most of my stories focus on the fictional characters and those characters are almost always the children. Ive never done a classic romance story with a bsb guy. Uncle Daddy comes close. You can look at my "backstreet dads" series and see what My common trend is. I've always written stories based on a child of bsb.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 11:12:07 AM »

I've noticed a lot which aren't really about the boys.  I've never clicked to read an Aaron story because I don't know anything about him and he doesn't appeal to me, but I suppose he does to others.  Same with Backstreet kids, I'm not too bothered about them either, but I am keeping up with Kristal's story 'Life According to Baylee' which is really good. 

yorkielover88

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 11:49:42 AM »

I've noticed a lot which aren't really about the boys.  I've never clicked to read an Aaron story because I don't know anything about him and he doesn't appeal to me, but I suppose he does to others.  Same with Backstreet kids, I'm not too bothered about them either, but I am keeping up with Kristal's story 'Life According to Baylee' which is really good. 

that makes me laugh because I add Aaron in my stuff a lot but honest I dont know much about him either!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

Most of us use fictional characters, I don't think that's what they mean. Original characters are used in probably 99% of fanfic (the other 1% being anything written by Mare :P).

At one point in fanfic trends most stories featured a BSB as the main character, then slowly original characters started becoming the focal points of stories with the BSB as supporting characters. Like most trends that did start to switch back and I'd say now it's a split between people who use a Backstreeter as the main character and those who don't.

But the new trend seems to be not making the story about the BSB at all. It's told from the perspective of an original character, featuring all original characters, with the only BSB connection being that of a parent.

I believe it can be done well but in order to legitimately say it's fanfic it needs to be about the Backstreet Boys with their children as the supporting characters. The trend seems to be the opposite which, in some stories, wouldn't come close to being fanfic. You can't write fanfic about someone you made up.

LOL yay to my 1%!! :) I wonder if that means that technically those stories that aren't really considered BSB fanic should not be nominated for the awards? Because technically they are fanfic awards and if the lead isn't one of the people featured in a fandom wouldn't that disqualify the story? Just thinking out loud.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »

LOL yay to my 1%!! :) I wonder if that means that technically those stories that aren't really considered BSB fanic should not be nominated for the awards? Because technically they are fanfic awards and if the lead isn't one of the people featured in a fandom wouldn't that disqualify the story? Just thinking out loud.

That's a really really good point. I mean there's an original fiction category, if people want to nominate them there. Because lets face it, in a story if it's about a fictional character as the focus, that's not really fanfiction now is it? I mean if it's all about the story of a fictional child of a Backstreet Boy, and the Backstreet Boy is not who the story is about at all... well that's not fanfic.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »

LOL I was kind of half kidding because seriously there would only be a handful of stories that would qualify, but it really does raise that question.

I have been saying for years and years that it's not fanfic unless it's about one or more of the boys. Or whatever the fandom you write, if it's not about those people then it's not really fanfic but more original fic.

It's a good debatable topic but for everyone who is now panicking about their noms, don't lol Like I said, I was just kidding...for now anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3