Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Fanfic trends  (Read 6217 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Fanfic trends
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 01:34:15 PM »

I know, I just feel like that's a really good point lol. I mean supporting characters or sveral main characters (and say one or two are fictional, and one or two are BSBs) are cool. Cause like Julilly said, fictional characters are gonna pop up, it's natural. I just don't feel like it's fanfic if there's not even one Backstreet Boy as a main character.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 02:38:12 PM »

I agree lol

It would be a good debate topic. If i'm feeling non lazy and motivated i'll make a new thread for it in the debate section later.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2010, 05:07:43 PM »

That's a good point about main characters vs. supporting.  Honestly, I haven't read any of the stories I was noticing on the recent updates because I'm not interested in reading about fictional kids or fictional sisters, so I don't know about those ones specifically; they might have a nice balance between Backstreet Boys and made-up characters.  But I agree that at least one Backstreet Boy should be a MAIN character if it's to be considered a BSB fanfic.

I include fictional characters in my stories, but they are always either supporting characters or, in the case of a romance, a female lead balanced equally with the lead Backstreet Boy, and when I read, I want the stories to be mostly focused on the Boy(s) too.

There's nothing wrong with writing stories about made-up kids or sisters; AC is a place for all fandoms and original fics, too.  I was just pointing out, I'm surprised by how MANY like this are popping up all of a sudden.  I do hope the trend shifts back to Backstreet-centered fics, but that's just my personal preference.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 06:48:00 PM »

I do want to say that I also do put in original characters, they just are never leads and are always supporting characters. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

I haven't noticed before but now that it's mentioned and I checked, I do.

Many stuff float my boat. I don't mind fictional sisters, kids, wives/girlfriends (although I've never read a fanfic about a long lost sister or something lol). But I also like to read fanfics that are especially centered on one or more Backstreet Boys. The type of story doesn't matter to me; romance, drama, fantasy, suspense, AU. All is fine by me, as long as it's well written and the storyline/plot is good.

I just noticed I'm not participating in this trend. I'm busy with two fanfics atm. One is in the POVs of a female lead and Nick and the other is in the POVs of AJ and Nick. I don't know if I should be happy about this or not. I don't know if it's also a trend to read about fictional sisters and kids, and reading fanfics which are only, for example, Nick-centered and no fictional sisters and kids are "out"? Lol.. 'cause my amount of reviews isn't that many. Maybe the interest for those types of fanfics isn't that big right now? :shrug: If that is the reason for my lack of reviews, I sure hope this trend will die down a bit. ;)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 02:04:50 PM »

I always write fictional wives and girlfriends into my stories because I don't feel right writing the real ones (nothing against other people writing them though, I just don't do it myself).

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 03:05:12 PM »

I always write fictional wives and girlfriends into my stories because I don't feel right writing the real ones (nothing against other people writing them though, I just don't do it myself).

Same here. Always write fictional wives/girlfriends but don't mind reading fanfics that include the real ones. :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 04:56:09 PM »

For sure, but would you ever write a fic ABOUT a fictional wife without having the BSB as a main character?
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 05:20:11 PM »

For sure, but would you ever write a fic ABOUT a fictional wife without having the BSB as a main character?

Exactly, I get the use of fictional wives or girlfriends or kids. It's when it's about them without BSB as a main character that gets me all weirded out lol. For me personally, anyway.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 05:45:32 PM »

I don't really understand it either. I mean I write my fair share of romance and include original characters, but I have problems writing anything that doesn't star Nick as a main character.  I wonder if it is almost a transitioning thing.  It might be easier to write an original fiction if you still have BSB there and pop up sometimes, but it's mainly original fiction.  That way they're almost there as a crutch, and could be easily removed if the author wanted to make it a true original fiction.  I think that's what I would do if I were to ever attempt to write an original novel.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2010, 07:27:32 PM »

I couldn't use real wives/girlfriends for my Of Love and Time story, it didn't feel right to use them in the storylines I have so I made them up.  They are essential to the plots, but the story isn't about them.  

I will write the real ones at times. Say for instance, if my story is about Nick and he visits Brian, Leighanne would be there and maybe pipe up a line or two.  IF I was writing about Brian, Leighanne would not be his wife or his girlfriend.  If that makes any sense :) 

But yah, I don't mind stories that do have them. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:18 PM »

We're kind of veering off from the point. The question is not the use of fictional characters. We all use fictional characters in stories otherwise it would be very challenging to come up with original plots. We don't all need to provide examples of original characters in individual stories.

The debate is whether or not it's still BSB fanfiction when the main character is not a Backstreet Boy.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »

And the answer would be no, it's not lol And I am always right :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »

And the answer would be no, it's not lol And I am always right :)

And I agree with Mare! LOL

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:06 PM »

And I agree with Mare! LOL

And, I agree with both!

I do have a couple of stories that focus more on an original character(s) but I include in it that is original/fanfiction cause the boys are in it and a big part of the story, but it's not my focus. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 [2] 3