Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: fighting with your characters  (Read 6580 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
fighting with your characters
« on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:03 PM »

Did you ever find as you were writing that no matter how hard you try, your characters decided to go in a different direction than you previously intended?

This is happening to me right now. Suddenly one of them dropped a bombshell on me and I have literally been arguing with my own story for two days trying not to write what this story wants me to write! lol

I'm still not sure who is going to win but I know nine times out of ten, i'll just go with it and have to come up with a plan B.

Have you ever fought the urge and just written what you had always intended to? Or do you just go with your gut and hope the characters will guide you in the right direction?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: fighting with your characters
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 04:06:13 PM »

Did you ever find as you were writing that no matter how hard you try, your characters decided to go in a different direction than you previously intended?

This is happening to me right now. Suddenly one of them dropped a bombshell on me and I have literally been arguing with my own story for two days trying not to write what this story wants me to write! lol

I'm still not sure who is going to win but I know nine times out of ten, i'll just go with it and have to come up with a plan B.

Have you ever fought the urge and just written what you had always intended to? Or do you just go with your gut and hope the characters will guide you in the right direction?

Yep! In RMTW I originally did not have Nick telling Kevin first, or that early. I argued with him so much till I finally went with it. It was for the best, looking at it now lol, but at the time I was so irritated with him, cause I had it all worked out LOL. Same thing happened when he wanted Brian to know,  my Nick character made that choice, not me lmao. Though that one I went  with easier cause I agreed with him after awhile LOL.

Even though I argue with my characters, usually I go with them and hope it works out. I figure the muse/characters would know better how their story should be told. 
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:55 PM »

I fight with my characters ALL the time. At the moment, I'm fighting with Nick in my fanfic Ice Cold Blood about how he's going to react when he and the other guys get unexpected visitors, whom they absolutely CAN'T use at that moment! I want to go for the calm reaction, but Nick wants to have a huge temper. And because of that, I can't start writing on the next chap and that means I'm not able to update. Damn you, Nick! >:(  lol!

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 08:59:39 PM »

Welcome to my life...

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 06:49:22 PM »

YES!  When writing In Pieces I had a very clear outline and exactly what I wanted to happen from beginning to end and as I started writing I ended up having to change most of it, and it really screwed up my entire plan. 

It's very annoying.  But I ended up going with what the characters wanted - they know themselves best, after all.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:33:32 PM »

So frustrating!

I think this is why I'm stuck on Guilty Roads.  I'm stuck on a Nick scene, where what Nick probably would and should do is not what I need Nick to do for the rest of my story to work, and I'm not sure how to get around that.  I need a way to justify Nick doing something that doesn't fit his character, or work out a Plan B for him doing anything else.

I think this is partly why I like writing medical dramas, because I get to be a goddess and decide the characters' fate, and they just have to react to what I throw at them.  There's only so many decisions they can make, and it's pretty easy to figure out the consequences of those decisions.  Suspense stories are a lot harder!  LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 04:39:05 PM »

You can always threathen Nick with death or dismemberment of some kind lol maybe that will work?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »

Hehe, he knows I would do it!  Maybe I'll have to try.  At this point, I don't really care; I have too many stories and not enough time. :(  (As I sit here wasting precious writing time LOL.)  I'm thinking I'm not even gonna worry about it until I finish Curtain Call, since that's a big part of the reason I neglected GR the rest of the summer, and then I'll go back to it and figure it out.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »

Yeah, somtimes that's the best thing you can do although I want to make the girl in curtain call fall off the stage or something so this way you'll go back to GR lol Can I have a cameo and do that? Kidding...as long as you're writing something, that's all that matters.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »

LOL
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 06:44:47 PM »

LMAO no you can't do that! I like Cary, she's one of the rare female leads I don't wanna shove off a cliff.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »

it'll only be a broken ankle lol nothing serious.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 06:55:35 PM »

Just injured enough to give Julie time for Guilty Roads/Coma Kevin right? LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 07:05:54 PM »

Yes! Maybe she'll get amnesia! Added bonus in the angst department. She'll be wandering around aimlessly and end up in Amish country lol Two birds...one stone!

yorkielover88

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 07:36:20 AM »

I'm laughing reading this thread thinking about what the guys would say if we where righting srcipts for movies that they themselves would be in. Man you could just ask him to change how he is in real life and wam! Problem solved LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3