Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Author Topic: Opinion on Changing POV  (Read 1789 times)

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
Opinion on Changing POV
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:45 PM »

I hope I'm posting this in the right thread. Feel free to move it Mods!

Anyway, I recently started posting a story called "Shape of His Heart". Currently, it's in third person. I'm having a lot of problems getting into the flow. I also think because this is one of my first longer writing projects, I might have bitten off more than I can chew by attempting third person this early one. While I want to challenge myself, I also want to start out slow. So finally, the question I have is...

Should I rewrite the story in first person and re-post? Thanks in advance!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Opinion on Changing POV
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:14:32 AM »

I think if you're struggling with it and think it would be easier to write in another POV, then change it :)

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 01:58:19 AM »

Honestly, I think that you should use whichever POV you feel that the story is pulling you. I don't think it's always a matter of what your "usual" POV is that you use as much as what feels comfortable with the specific story and whichever one would work best for that story. Maybe try writing a chapter in a couple different POVs and see which one you feel works best for the story.
~ Amy.

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 06:13:12 AM »

I've had the same problem with a fanfic of mine. I asked for advice here too but I forgot which topic.
If I remember well, the advice I've been given is that you can edit the chapter(s) and change them into 1st POV, but put an author's note with your next update, where you tell you've changed POV's so the readers won't get confused.
Hope this is of any help for you. :)

yorkielover88

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 10:00:19 AM »

I agree with AROKZ. Trying rewriting the first chapter or two a few different way and see what way you like best.

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 03:31:34 PM »

Thanks so much for the responses! I think I will rewrite them. I just feel like I could write forever in my main character's POV. I'll let ya'll know when I update to see what ya'll think.

MadisonAve

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 10:38:57 PM »

So I started re-writing and I'm loving the new view this story is taking. I posted the first chapter so please check it out and let me know what you think! Thanks for all the opinions.