Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: How Did You Discover Fan Fic?  (Read 7264 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: How Did You Discover Fan Fic?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »

I don't quite remember how it all started, but I would sleep over at my cousin's house a lot when I was young, and they had internet (dialup!!!!). When I was in junior high she and I would surf the web for Nick Carter stuff, and somehow, around that time I stumbled across fanfiction and started printing it out for my friends at school. This was around '98-'99. I did try my hand at writing fanfic as a tween, but rather than posting it online my friends and I would write it in spiral notebooks and share it with each other that way.

In high school, I followed a lot of those fanfic mailing lists on yahoo groups, where people post their updates chapter by chapter and you get them in your e-mail. I did a lot of fic reading but never any writing, except for the first chapter of a story that I posted to the mailing list. The rest of the fic never got off the ground.  ::)

I also had a small Nick fanfic archive site, and while looking for stories I liked to add to it, I came across Mare's work, which eventually led me to AC back in 2003.

aww thanks! I didn't even know you read my stuff! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 05:39:05 PM »

Hmmm this is like playing seven degrees of Mare ;) LOL

I will say Mizpah was among one of the first stories I actively read here LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »

aww lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2011, 12:14:37 AM »

Now that I think about it the first fanfic I ever read was by Carrie. It was the Swollen Issues series. I then stumbled across AC and the first fanfic I read here was Mizpah. I also think its interesting how everybody here says they read mare's stuff first...almost everybody that is

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2011, 03:35:59 PM »

Yeah, all the cool people! LOL :P

It's nice to know that later on some of the newer writers will be the answer to this question because of sites like AC where there's such a big variety of things to choose from.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »

Finally getting around to replying to this thread!

I discovered fanfic in the summer of '99.  It was Millennium era, and I was obsessed with BSB and, like a lot of you, just surfing around for BSB sites one day when I found this one called JJ and JoJo's Bsb Page or something like that.  It had a Brian story on it called "Blind Love."  I clicked on it, not really knowing what it was, and thought it was so cool that someone had written a story about the Backstreet Boys.  I had never heard of fan fiction before, for any fandom.  I read this whole story in one sitting, and it made me cry, and I thought it was the best thing ever, even though it was this very unrealistic teenybopper romance written by a 13-year-old LOL.  I printed the whole thing out (50 pages of computer paper - I got in trouble for that LOL) and put it in a binder so I could read it whenever I wanted, since we of course had dial-up at the time, so my internet time was limited.  I actually still have that binder with that story in it.  I showed it to my friends at a sleepover, and we all read it together, and they thought it was awesome too LOL.

Anyway, there was a sequel to that story and a different story on that site, and once I had read all those, I went looking for more, and the rest is history.  I spent the entire summer of '99 completely OBSESSED with reading Bsb fanfic.

I never even considered writing my own until a few months later; I had clicked on a story that sounded really good, but it turned out to just be a short story, and I was left unsatisfied and wanting more, and that's what gave me the idea for the first fanfic I started writing.  I just wrote it in a notebook at first, then transferred it to the computer, but never finished it or posted it anywhere.  But that was enough to give me the writing bug, and then I got another story idea, and that one I did finish and eventually got brave enough to get hosted somewhere.  I started my site a few months after that, in April 2000.

I don't remember exactly how I found AC, but I think it was also through reading Ground Zero here.  And if we're playing six degrees of Mare, I hosted Mare's first story, I believe before she started her own site or was posting here.  Mizpah. :)  I remember reading the chapters she sent me at work, when I was supposed to be doing my summer job LOL.

What's also cool is that the author of the first fanfic I read, JJ/Jen, became a friend of mine.  It just so happened that she writes the exact kind of stories I love, medical drama tearjerkers with a side of romance, and I continued to read her stories as she wrote them (and they got a lot better as she grew up), and then she started reading mine, and even though she doesn't write anymore, we're still friends on Twitter.  I think it was fate that I found HER stories first because they were the perfect kind to turn me on to fanfic.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2011, 01:22:11 AM »

The first fan fic I ever read was actually by Mare, All I Wanted Was Some Cough Medicine! I still remember most of it too. Funny part is I didn't know Mare wrote it till about two years of being a member on AC. lol.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2011, 04:11:16 AM »

I think the first stories I started reading here were Ray of Hope, A Million Little Things and Life According to Baylee :)

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »

My first meeting with fan fiction was totally accidental.  I was doing some internet research on incest for a psychology class, and one of the searches had a link featuring the Backstreet Boys.  Of course I was curious.  This was back in '99  or 2000, and I had been "introduced" to the Backstreet Boys by my students.  The story, "Get You Back," was slash; and I think I read the whole thing with my mouth open!  But, I was hooked almost to the point of obsession.  I read every slash story I could find, whether good or bad.....I just couldn't get enough.  It was like I had gone to a foreign country, and wanted to "visit" every area.  The first non-slash story I read was "Living In a Nightmare."  I don't remember who the author was but the plot pulled me into the story.  I'm not even sure what site the story was on, but I followed a link which lead me to "Ground Zero."  It was  incomplete at the time, however, that story inspired me to send feedback.  Chaos was the first author I sent feedback to.

Ahhh.....the good old days.....I'm feeling so nostalgic.

I've gone on to read other fandoms; but, BSB fanfiction always feels like coming home!

Pammy Whammy
Pammy Whammy

marina

• Innocent Bystander
  • Leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2011, 09:42:26 PM »

Am I the only one that didn't discover fanfic through BSB fanfic? BSB was my second 'fandom' (no, the first one wasn't NSync hehe). I'm not going to bore you with my first fandom which in a way helped me also to discover how 'cool' the Internet was and how many things you could find there (some of my friends were using it and although I had dial up at home at first I was reluctant to 'go online' lol)

I think I went looking for BSB fanfiction after becoming a fan of their music through the album that captivated me (Black & Blue, I wasn't a fan during Millennium and I just bought B&B because I went to the store looking for the Beatles 1 and it was next to it and thought 'why not, I like their single') Funny thing is that when I read my first fanfic I didn't even know the names of the boys and I had to kept looking for pictures to see who AJ was (by the way I remembered that I couldn't believe that AJ was the second youngest member lol) I did know BSB as a group from the beginning though  because I was living in Germany when they were starting there so I had the We've Got it Going single. I really liked it no matter that I was more a rock fan.

I'm almost sure the first BSB fiction I read had Nick being chased by a bad guy (something about a key he got in a coffee shop) Oh wow, am I mixing stories or something like this really exist?... I even remember a scene with some glass in a kitchen and Kevin carrying Nick because he was barefoot... okay does this fanfic exist? now I'm going crazy LOL I remember it because I had to look for old pics to see who was who and if it was believable that one of them was carrying the other hehe

Okay maybe is something by Cecilia, J-Kat, Jennifer Stevens or Izzy...Izzy! Yes, I'm almost sure she was the author of the first fanfic I read. Anyone knows what could it be? I really liked the stories of these authors, I even remember exchanging emails with a couple of them... and then I found Mizpah ;D During that time Mare was doing some collaboration with Mersey and other authors. That's when the three of us began exchanging emails :) By then I had already bought every single album, single, video, etc. out there so I didn't have to look for pics to know who was whom in an story lol
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

marina

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2011, 09:57:45 PM »

My first meeting with fan fiction was totally accidental.  I was doing some internet research on incest for a psychology class, and one of the searches had a link featuring the Backstreet Boys.  Of course I was curious.  This was back in '99  or 2000, and I had been "introduced" to the Backstreet Boys by my students.  The story, "Get You Back," was slash; and I think I read the whole thing with my mouth open!  But, I was hooked almost to the point of obsession.  I read every slash story I could find, whether good or bad.....I just couldn't get enough.  It was like I had gone to a foreign country, and wanted to "visit" every area.  The first non-slash story I read was "Living In a Nightmare."  I don't remember who the author was but the plot pulled me into the story.  I'm not even sure what site the story was on, but I followed a link which lead me to "Ground Zero."  It was  incomplete at the time, however, that story inspired me to send feedback.  Chaos was the first author I sent feedback to.

Ahhh.....the good old days.....I'm feeling so nostalgic.

I've gone on to read other fandoms; but, BSB fanfiction always feels like coming home!

Pammy Whammy

I just remembered how I 'discovered' slash (I'm not a slash reader, I really don't like it). After my experience finding great authors in this fandom I tried to find good stories in other fandoms I liked too, so I remember going to fanficnet and looking for Highlander fiction and every other story had the word 'slash' in the summary and for some reason (remember that English is not my first language) I thought it was a character hehe After a while I was 'okay who this Slash guy is and why is in so many stories?' so I clicked one of them and couldn't believe what I was reading  ??? ??? LOL I think it was Mac/Methos hehe
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” - Oscar Wilde

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2011, 10:15:11 PM »

Pammy, that is hilarious that you discovered Bsb fanfic by researching incest LMFAO.

I don't remember when I figured out what slash meant; none of the websites I went to in my early days even had slash, so that was later.

I do remember reading my first visual, though.  It was that first year I discovered fanfic, when I was 14.  We had still dial-up internet at home, of course, and it was so slow, and my mom limited my time online because it tied up the phone line.  Luckily, she's a computer teacher, so she would let me come with her when she went to work in the computer lab at school, and I could get on the computers there and surf.  So I would sit there and read fanfics while she worked.

One day, I came across a website full of visuals, but I had no idea what that term meant.  I started reading this one Brian story, and I'm sure my eyes just got wider and wider as I realized what I was reading... in the same room as my mother, no less... and on a school computer (guess their online filters weren't that great back then?)... but I couldn't stop at that point, so I finished the thing and read a couple others on the same site just for kicks LOL.  They weren't that dirty of visuals, thankfully; they were graphic, but pretty teenybopper still.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2011, 03:53:10 AM »

I had to laugh at you thinking Slash was a character!  I had a similar experience.  I thought Slash was horror.  So I was reading this story and thinking "when are the murders going to happen?".  I didn't dislike the story, but slash is not for me :)

marina

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2011, 06:54:43 AM »

I don't have a problem with the Slash genre per se, it's just that I wouldn't read BSB slash because that's not the way I see the guys and although fanfiction is 'fiction' at the end of the day, I think in my case in particular I enjoy the fic of some fandoms because they give me stories about real people (or even about characters created by others) and either if the image I have about these people is just that, 'an image', it's the way I've learnt to known them and that's part of what I like about these stories. Maybe there's a great Slash story about let's say NSync outhere (I don't know too much about them) that I would enjoy because for me it would be easier to picture them in a relationship since I really don't know what kind of relationships they have in real life (who's who's best friend, who can't stand the other, etc)

And to stay on topic, I think I have some of Cecilia's stories saved in a CD somewhere cause I remembered downloading them to my hard disc (several computers ago lol) It has to be fun to go back and read those stories to see if I still like them as much now.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »

I don't have anything against slash either, but it's just not something I usually read.

I'm quite tempted to go and read the first fanfic I ever read.  Even though it wasn't a long time ago, I wonder if I'd enjoy it as much now that I've read quite a few.
Pages: 1 [2] 3