Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: fanfic 'I wish' list  (Read 5586 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: fanfic 'I wish' list
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 05:12:20 AM »

I wish writers would write to write.  Because they love it, not because they have to please the crowd!

I couldn't possibly agree with this more! I hate when people beg for feedback or threaten to stop writing if they don't get any. Yes, it's nice to read someone else's thoughts, but write because you love it and you love the story not because you want someone to pat you on the back for it.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:39 AM »

I agree about writing for the love of writing and not to please people or for the reviews.  I think it's selfish of writers to say they'll stop posting unless they get reviews!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 10:53:34 AM »

Agreed!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 11:31:46 AM »

I couldn't agree with you guys more. The one thing that will make me not want to leave a review, or stop reading all together is "I won't post until I get x number of reviews!" It makes it seem like the writer is only writing for the feedback, which gives me the vibe they aren't passionate about the story, which makes me completely uninterested in it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 02:17:12 PM »

Wow that's crazy. I haven't seen anybody threaten to stop writing if they don't get feedback. I know I have complained about the feedback thing before, but not threaten my readers. That's just extreme!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 03:23:34 PM »

I've seen it happen more on FanFiction.net than here, it might be because the people over there are younger, I don't really know.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 04:13:34 PM »

I haven't seen it as much in recent years, but that used to be the thing to do back in the day.  It's definitely a teenybopper tactic.  I guess if you have to make threats to get feedback, you're probably not a great writer to begin with, or you'd be getting it anyway.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 05:07:26 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say I remember seeing that a lot a long time ago. If you want an update I need this much feedback lol type of things.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sam_noelle

• Fledgling
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 06:20:16 PM »

I wish authors who wrote a lot of suspense, and really good suspense didn't get suckered into writing a bunch of romance novels back to back to back.  ;D lol

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how you can write SO much romance. I mean I get it if it's the side part to a bigger plot or you do it every once in a while, but there's only so many times you can regurgitate the same plot. Plus it's different now when all the boys are with someone and have been for a long time, there's just no pretending that Suzie Q exists anymore.

I agree with what people said about wishing that authors would finish something before they started another. I kind of get when that happens though, because as a writer new storylines and things pop up in your head and you suddenly get enamored with that new thing for awhile. I just hate when they get UNfinished forever.

I wish that there was more suspense.

I wish people would develop deeper storylines and characters, like there was some realness to it.

I wish when authors from a LONG time ago suddenly pop up with one new chapter to their great stories, claiming that they have the next three chapters written and that they're going back into writing and are going to finish a story, actually meant that when they said it. No one likes a tease. I've seen many authors do this, and it sucks for the reader. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 09:25:15 PM »

Sam, i'm with you on wanting more suspense. I miss those days when there were so many stories to choose from. Even besides suspense maybe some action or medical dramas with no romance. I do miss the variety of way back when.

I don't mind when people write on more than one story at one time but when you have more than 4 I think it's a bit excessive, as long as you do actually update them all it's okay but if you replace one story with another and then another and they are all kind of just clones of the one you were writing before, then what's the point?

I know i'm guilty of not updating regularly but it's almost summer. Updates will come more frequently when I have the time, but i'm pretty sure my days of writing on more than one story at a time are over although I have been tempted to try it, I don't want to become one of the authors I just described. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sam_noelle

• Fledgling
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 12:31:48 AM »

Yeah that's true, there was a lot of variety back in the day. I'm trying to figure out what happened. lol Why everyone's all into the fluff.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 01:01:19 AM »

The fluff's always been popular; there just used to be a lot more people writing and, thus, a lot more variety.  Personally, I don't get the appeal of just pure romance without another storyline either, but that's all some people like to write and read, so to each their own. 
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 07:52:31 AM »

I don't see the problem with romance, sometimes I might be in the mood for reading that kind of thing, other times I might fancy a bit of horror or whatever.  Like Julie says, each to their own.

Something I saw on another site a while back, writers saying things like "the 10th reviewer gets a sneak preview of the next chapter" or "more reviews means quicker chapters".  It makes me think they are writing just for popularity or something, and not because they've got a story to tell.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 09:21:40 PM »

I hate writers who write for popularity. Huge pet peeve of mine. You write because you love it, and nothing else. All of us enjoy feedback, otherwise we wouldn't post. But it's when it revolves around that, or you write something because readers demand it...that's when you need to stop.

I wish there was more variety too. I hate pure romance 99% of the time. It's great as a sub-plot, but when it's nothing but romance? Boring. To me at least. But I know why it's there, it's always been the most popular genre. Just wish there was more variety in stories lol. I mean how many times can you write about Nick falling in love? But hey, whatever floats people's boats.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »

I wish people would come up with their own ideas and not use an idea that's already been done. Be original. I wish that people finished stories instead of disappearing.. .I hate getting into one only to realize they have not updated in 2+ years.
Pages: 1 [2] 3