Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Author Topic: Favorite off-site stories  (Read 2026 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Favorite off-site stories
« on: June 30, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »

In the thread for the fanfic survey Mare posted the other day, a few of us mentioned older fanfics that aren't on AC or were originally posted on other websites.  Seems like maybe we had a topic like this once a long time ago, but I thought, for people who are newer to the fandom or just haven't read much outside of AC, it would be cool to share some of our favorite stories from other sites or the pre-AC days.  I know some classics have been archived on AC too, but some people may not know they exist, since they obviously aren't being updated anymore.

I recommended "Cover Me With Dreams" by Heidi in the other thread.  It's, in my opinion, the greatest Nick romance of all time - keep in mind, that's coming from someone who is pretty picky about romance.  It actually was archived on AC after the author took her site down; the link is here: http://absolutechaos.net/viewseries.php?seriesid=88  It started out as a one shot, which you can read at that link, and from there, the author turned it into a novel.  The short story is worth reading, but the novel's where it's at!  Good writing, good characters, and an interesting way of telling their story makes this one of my favorite fanfics ever.

I'll come up with some others, but if anyone else has any recommendation s, post away!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Favorite off-site stories
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 05:41:13 AM »

Thanks for the recommendation Julie, sounds like a good story!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 08:50:57 AM »

Cover Me With Dreams really is great. I am loving it! I have missed the days of powering through something already completed. I'll have to check out some of those other archived authors as well.

I have a lot of off site old favourites, but I'll have to take a look through my backup discs to see if I actually saved any of them. Chances are the sites aren't around anymore, but I'll have a look.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »

There's always Oreos for Breakfast...I know some people aren't into it, but I loved it and it is one of the old school stories.  I think the website is wickedthought. org...

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:19 AM »

That's another one which people have recommended and I've yet to read.  I should stop buying books and get on with reading some of these amazing fics instead!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 01:37:37 PM »

Oh yeah I totally forgot about Oreos! I was really into that story back in 2005 or so. It's a fun read :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 09:58:11 PM »

I love both Cover Me With Dreams and Oreos for Breakfast. Those are both good reads.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 10:33:05 PM »

Here are a couple of other recommendation s by my friend Susan.  She isn't writing fanfic anymore, but when she did, she was awesome.

"The Market" is a story about Nick going off on a trip of rediscovery during a break with the Boys.  It's kind of hard to explain without giving too much away, but the summary, which I love, is "There is life and there is death, and for a moment in between, there was The Market."  It's the kind of story that will make you laugh and cry, and it's a quick read, not very long.
http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/market.html

"Scared of Reality" is a great, old-school suspense story in which Nick and Brian get carjacked and taken hostage.  I miss these kinds of stories!
http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/hosted/scared.html
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling