Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: The romantic debate  (Read 28480 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: The romantic debate
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2011, 05:16:54 PM »

I'm trying to mix several genres into the story I'm currently writing. I like to write romance but try not to focus on the relationship too much because if I would, I'd run out of inspiration/ideas real soon lol

I think the best stories are multi-genre, to be honest.  I like complex stories with different layers and subplots.  There's a point where you can get a little too subplot crazy (I've been there, as a writer), but I think it's great to have one or two to supplement the main storyline and appeal to a wider audience.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #136 on: July 16, 2011, 02:15:44 PM »

I just wanted to say kudos to 'almost' everyone in this thread for doing the reading duel challenge. After skimming through, there is only one person who posted more than once in here and hasn't stepped up to the challenge. Hopefully she will too!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #137 on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »

I'm glad it's gotten so many participants!  It's nice to see everyone willing to give some new stories a chance, whether they're romance or a different genre they don't usually read.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #138 on: July 16, 2011, 03:00:03 PM »

I'm also glad to see so many participants.  It should be fun and I'm looking forward to giving a new story a read.

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #139 on: July 16, 2011, 04:50:13 PM »

I'll usually try to read almost anything (doesn't mean I'll love it) and I figure that whatever anyone says about one of my stories they are old enough that I've probably thought much worse LOL.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #140 on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »

I feel a group hug coming on...lol. I just had to say that since we are all participating and not getting offended by comments. I think it is good to share thoughts and opinions. I think everyone forgets that most of the comments are written with less emotion than we think when we read them. It's just like emails a lot of times they are straight to the point and we as the reader put emotion into and it changes the original intent of the message. I think it's human nature to disagree, it's just how you handle it.

I think that as a writer, we have all made mistakes, hated what we wrote, had people hate what we loved in our writing, had people love what we hated in our writing, etc. We've all had those feelings whether we share them or not.

I think all of us should be proud that we are writing and sharing our writing. It takes courage to post something for others to see. Some people can't and won't even try to write  even though that is something they want to try.  I'm proud of all of you for writing and taking a chance on posting what you write. You Rock, each and every one of you!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #141 on: July 16, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »

I agree, Rachel.  This whole debate started from people's honest answers to a simple, innocent question in a survey, and I think escalated with people tweeting general frustration about a lack of variety in reading material, not targeting certain writers at all, but some may have taken it personally and gotten their feelings hurt.  Like you said, we all have different taste and like different things, but I think we have mutual respect for fellow writers and anyone brave enough to post their work, whether it's something we personally enjoy reading or not.  I also think it's great that so many of us are willing to read stories that are outside our comfort zones as readers and give feedback to writers whose work we maybe haven't read before.  We need to keep supporting each other and having healthy debates and discussions like this.  That's what I love most about this forum, the fanfic discussions.  You don't get that as much on any other forum I've been to.  AC is a special place!
~Julie

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2011, 12:13:22 AM »

I admit that I think I may have been one of the ones to at first feel a little attacked as a romance writer, but I am over it now. I know that I've wanted to get back into writing and had been struggling with ideas so I went back to what was comfortable. The good news? I finally had the courage to start something brand new. Yes, it is a Nick romance. Yes, it is in first person POV from an OFC. Yes, it may not feature the boys very much. Am I happy writing it? Extremely! And it's not a Nick and Alyssa story which is a big step for me. I've learned write what you want to write. There's an audience for everything out there. It's been so long since I've actually been excited about an idea.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2011, 12:16:50 AM »

I admit that I think I may have been one of the ones to at first feel a little attacked as a romance writer, but I am over it now. I know that I've wanted to get back into writing and had been struggling with ideas so I went back to what was comfortable. The good news? I finally had the courage to start something brand new. Yes, it is a Nick romance. Yes, it is in first person POV from an OFC. Yes, it may not feature the boys very much. Am I happy writing it? Extremely! And it's not a Nick and Alyssa story which is a big step for me. I've learned write what you want to write. There's an audience for everything out there. It's been so long since I've actually been excited about an idea.

That is awesome. It's exciting when you have a new story idea. Good luck and I can't wait to read it when you're ready to post.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2011, 12:33:46 AM »

That's great, Mel!  As good as it is to step out of your comfort zone, there's nothing wrong with writing what's comfortable, especially when you haven't written anything in awhile.  What's most comfortable is probably what you're best at - write what you know.

I know I really made an effort to step out outside the box with the stories I worked on after Broken/BMS, but now I'm writing Curtain Call, which is similar.  I like trying other things, but I will probably always cycle back to my medical dramas with a hint of romance from time to time, cause those are my favorites.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #145 on: July 17, 2011, 12:41:06 AM »

Good to see you taking a step away from what you did into something new. That's definitely not easy to do. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Mariah

• Major Disruption
  • Let go of today, tomorrow's another day...
    • http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=1274
« Reply #146 on: July 17, 2011, 02:34:21 AM »

How many of you read romance and or write romance on a regular basis? And do you feel like it tends to get a bad rep? If so what do you feel are some of the misconceptions out there?

I tend to gravitate toward romances a lot more than action or drama. I write it a lot because I relate to it more than anything else I feel its more natural to write romances with realistic themes. I think it does get a bad rep because a lot people peg it with recycling old plots without any originality. Basic misconceptions are the characters fall in love too fast and get married, there's a baby involved or its just too sappy to be realistic.

How many of you have ever read at least one romance and what was it about it, that made you go back or stop?

I really love reading Twitter by Tiggerc128. Told the story of a simply girl from Michigan who one day follows her crush and the story goes off from there. I kept coming back to it simply because it was a new idea and held my interest more than any other story. I loved the pacing and enjoyed the humor of the characters. The love scenes were very descriptive as if I were watching it all take place in a movie. I liked how it all came together in the end. The sequel I'm enjoying reading as well.

Do you tend to leave reviews for what you read?

Usually when I read something I really like, I do.

If you are someone who doesn't enjoy romance, why?

Doesn't apply to me.

For those of you that write strictly romance, what is it that makes you stay away from the other genres? Which of the other genres do you find you want to skip and why?

I write Romance/Angst a lot. But I've written in the past strictly romance stories and I just found the genre a lot more easier then others. I tend to shy away from overly violent/action/dramatic stories as it just doesn't hold my interest. I've always been addicted to beach reads and I find it a lot more relatable than reading a horror story. I also can't read a story with heavy amounts of abuse/rape. Just hits too close to home as I knew people in those situations and it gets draining to read stories like that.
My Stories
Jack: FYI, he was the love of my life.
Will: You've said that about each Backstreet Boy at one time or another. -Will & Grace

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #147 on: July 17, 2011, 06:44:01 AM »

Aww it's like a giant lovefest in here now

What's the opposite of a bromance? A girlmance? Anyway, that's what's happening in here. :)

Yay for you Mel, for being excited about what you're writing. I think in general, as long as you are writing what makes me you happy, that is all that matters and i'm sure someone will be just as happy to read it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #148 on: July 17, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »

I will be happy to read your new romance Mel :) 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #149 on: July 17, 2011, 08:23:02 AM »

^ see? lol
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11