Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 46062 times)

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:03 PM »

Casual Thoughts - Chapter Four

Question...So Quinn's writing in the story, these are columns and not blogs? One thing about them, is that they read to me like like a livejournal blog. I'm not sure if that's what you intended, but that's how they come across. I could also be looking at it the wrong way, not sure.

They're really good for getting her voice into the story. Since this is 3rd person and all, I do like how it finds a way get her telling of the story in.

No, they aren't livejounal blogs...they post on a website but also run as columns in the LA Times.  Maybe i didn't do a good enough job conveying that.  I have been meaning to reply to your comments but I really never login on a real computer usually my phone.  The columns are very important, they are where you see the real Quinn.

I'm really ready for you to get further in, everytime I go back and read the beginning I cringe and I wrote it.  I cam only imagine how much it sucks for someone who isn't into this genre.  Thank you for the fair feedback, I appreciate it!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2011, 08:15:47 PM »

Julie,your questions really made me think. I think in different parts of the story I related to Josie and in other parts Brian. I think this is why I tend to write what both were thinking. I tend to feel for both characters at times. Both have valid points and at other times they make me furious. In the end, I think I related more to Josie.

I had fun writing Brian because I got to show him as less than perfect. That presented me with a challenge, especially writing about Brian for the first time.

That's how I feel as a reader too; I can see both sides of it, and yet they both infuriate me sometimes LOL.  I'm liking them more after this last set of chapters, now that they've started communicating with each other better.

This is new for me, reading a story where Brian is not written as the boy-next-door nice guy.  He's a womanizer!  LOL  I bet that was a challenge for you, but it does make the story more interesting and gives me some more sympathy for Josie, seeing that a lot of the drama is his fault.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2011, 08:16:38 PM »

No, they aren't livejounal blogs...they post on a website but also run as columns in the LA Times.  Maybe i didn't do a good enough job conveying that.  I have been meaning to reply to your comments but I really never login on a real computer usually my phone.  The columns are very important, they are where you see the real Quinn.

I'm really ready for you to get further in, everytime I go back and read the beginning I cringe and I wrote it.  I cam only imagine how much it sucks for someone who isn't into this genre.  Thank you for the fair feedback, I appreciate it!

Okay, I think it's the Mood and Music on there, it immediately made me think of LJ lol. Not so much the blog itself. I do agree the columns showcase the character's voice a bit. I'm a big character person, so I love that lol.

I'm sorry I'm not that far into the story yet, between work, writing, etc. I haven't had as much time as I'd liked. On my days off, I'm positive I'll get further along quicker. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2011, 08:24:25 PM »

Okay, I think it's the Mood and Music on there, it immediately made me think of LJ lol. Not so much the blog itself. I do agree the columns showcase the character's voice a bit. I'm a big character person, so I love that lol.

I'm sorry I'm not that far into the story yet, between work, writing, etc. I haven't had as much time as I'd liked. On my days off, I'm positive I'll get further along quicker. :)

I'm honestly not sure why I put the mood, etc on there.  I think initially I did it to help separate the columns from the rest of the story, then I liked to have a song to hit where Quinn was at...tried to do the same with the chapter titles, I started doing that to maybe hint at what was under the surface.  I started this story a long time ago and it took 2+ years to write so I have asked myself why I did a lot if things I did in the beginning.  I made a promise to myself not to go back...ha!

You got stuck with a long story...I think you are doing pretty darn good on your reading!!!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2011, 08:28:53 PM »

I'm honestly not sure why I put the mood, etc on there.  I think initially I did it to help separate the columns from the rest of the story, then I liked to have a song to hit where Quinn was at...tried to do the same with the chapter titles, I started doing that to maybe hint at what was under the surface.  I started this story a long time ago and it took 2+ years to write so I have asked myself why I did a lot if things I did in the beginning.  I made a promise to myself not to go back...ha!

You got stuck with a long story...I think you are doing pretty darn good on your reading!!!

I'm guilty of using songs to hit where a character is at lol. I've gotten better about it, but I get that. You know, I just read Chapter 5, when did you write that chapter? I found it hit pretty well where Nick's at now. Only now he likes the gym more LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »

I'm guilty of using songs to hit where a character is at lol. I've gotten better about it, but I get that. You know, I just read Chapter 5, when did you write that chapter? I found it hit pretty well where Nick's at now. Only now he likes the gym more LOL.

I started this story in 2008, I think?  Lol...this Nick is Julilly's post pothead Nick...ha!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »

I started this story in 2008, I think?  Lol...this Nick is Julilly's post pothead Nick...ha!

LMAO.

You nailed him pretty well, especially seeng how he is now, 3 years later. :)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2011, 09:14:22 PM »

Post pothead Nick, I like it lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

cabybakes

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »

LMAO.

You nailed him pretty well, especially seeng how he is now, 3 years later. :)

Thanks!!! 

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »

I'm reading Room 438. I've read the first 6 chapters. The first few chapters moved slow for me, but chapters five and six moved faster and it's setting the main part of the storyline.

Kevin and Danielle's relationship seems a little strained when they are together. More on her part then Kevin's.

I like that their are two people stalking definitely makes it more exciting, especially since one is close to Danielle. I didn't see that comimg.

I'm looking forward to reading more.

This is one of the first stories I wrote where the girl and a guy had a relationship before the story started.  I will admit I am awkward with writing relationships between guys and girls in general.  It is definitely something I'm trying to improve. Thanks for the comments. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2011, 12:08:44 AM »

Julie, for some reason I seem to give Brian flaws. He is the sweet guy, but does things that aren't so boy- next door. Even in the current story I'm writing he's flawed, even more so, but not as in your face.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2011, 03:47:15 AM »

I've made a start on You Give Love A Bad Name and so far, I'm enjoying it.  Nick and Tracy have just got married, but I sense that trouble is ahead and I can't wait to see what that is :)

It's well written and to the point, which makes it easy for the reader to follow.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2011, 04:18:18 AM »

Thank you Steph!!! I put myself in the story but you will see what happens to me lol. I am not the main character. Glad you like it!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #193 on: July 23, 2011, 06:49:12 AM »

I'm on Chapter 18 now.  It could do with being a bit more descriptive in places, but it's a nice quick and easy read.  I think Amanda should've had someone cover for her at the club so that she could take some maternity leave.  In reality, there is no way you'd go straight back to work after giving birth.  But in fiction I suppose anything is possible!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2011, 06:58:44 AM »

I can see what you mean, Steph. Amanda is the owner/boss so I didn't feel it was needed to mention maternity leave, but thanks for pointing it out! Mind you I did write this two or three years ago! Thanks for the feedback, it helps a lot!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16