Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge  (Read 45944 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Engarde!!!! The Reading Duel challenge
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2011, 07:39:20 AM »

On Chapter 28 now, wow I'm flying through!

OK, Nick has just been drugged and tricked into marrying Katie who is a gold digging whore.  Lance found out he's not the father and Amanda is left alone on New Years Eve with a crying baby.

Nice and easy to understand and I have an idea of how the characters look in my head.  But sometimes things happen without the reader getting to know why.  Could do with a bit of filler so that the reader can really get into what's happening.  If that makes sense!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2011, 07:49:13 AM »

I'm actually reading it for myself and I can see what you mean about filler. I think I didn't want to bore anyone by using too much in the story as I have two prequels to elaborate on Nick and Amanda's past...Nick's childhood etc. Thanks for pointing things out for me!

Sapphire

• Major Disruption
« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »

I'll read m ore tonight. Hopefully finish. Off to work soon so I can't right now. Would much rather be home reading and working on Home.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »

Up to Chapter 36 now.  I would've liked to have read more about Brian and Amanda's relationship instead of one brief date and then two weeks later he's crying because she dumped him.  I also think that the baby would take up more of her time and therefore should be included more, rather than always being with Brian.  Babies take up a lot of time, believe me (and I'm glad mine are old enough that I don't have to constantly entertain them, lol).

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2011, 01:44:53 PM »

Since it's 3,000 degrees outside and i'm being a mole man, I was able to really spend some time reading today and have now read up to chapter 20 of October Road.

Alex and Krystle have now become a couple. I was glad it took up to chapter 17 for that to happen because we really got a chance to see her hesitancy about getting involved with him again after all these years. Now that I have some back story on Krystle, I don't find her as annoying as I did before. I am starting to see she's a very insecure person who maybe doesn't feel like she deserves happiness. She also tends to jump to conclusions and ends up constantly apologizing for it. Alex is very apologetic as well. In fact, I haven't gotten through a chapter yet where one of them doesn't apologize for something they have said or done a multitude of times.

Howie has also managed to make a little cameo as the Principal of the school that Krystle's son attends. Brian is the father. I am curious to see if Nick and Kevin make an appearance as well. It was important for me that the guys were in this so I was glad to see them show up.

Alex also confronts the girlfriend he left in this set of chapters which was nice because it slowly gets rid of all the baggage the two of them had previously so they can really just focus on each other.

I feel like i'm beginning to know them better.

It still is a bit slow paced and I figured out why for me anyway, it's just too much information in the dialogue. Little things that probably could be left to the reader's imagination is spelled out in the dialogue. I do the same too though. I am a dialogue junkie and sometimes it's hard to tell when to stop. When it becomes too much like just over hearing something important to eavesdropping on a very boring conversation. It's a fine line and the trick is balancing the two. So, I do find myself at times skimming through parts of the dialogue sections.

I am curious to see how this relationship evolves and what kind of drama unfolds along the way. I would imagine i'm in for some kind of drama since i'm only half way through. LOL

:)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2011, 02:45:49 PM »

Since the story isn't about Brian I didn't think anyone would care to hear about Brian and Amanda's relationship. The story is about Nick...and I felt all the baby stuff would bore people to be honest.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2011, 03:02:14 PM »

Since the story isn't about Brian I didn't think anyone would care to hear about Brian and Amanda's relationship. The story is about Nick...and I felt all the baby stuff would bore people to be honest.

Maybe, but it would've been nice to hear a little more. 

I'm enjoying the story though, it's keeping my interest and making me want to see what happens next :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »

I am glad you like it so far. I wanted to point out that Brian was more upset about the fact that he and amanda had been friends as kids....grew up together. I think the rejection after all they'd been through hit him harder because of their history.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:20 PM »

Only a few chapters left, but I'll save them for tomorrow and then do my review.

Hope everyone else is getting on OK with their reading :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »

Unfortunately it's a challenge to read somewhere quietly with my girls being home all day.  :plugears: My plan was to read at least two chapters a day...uh not working. *Sigh*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »

Aww well, read when you all can. I'm happy to see most of you have at least read the first few chapters of your stories. Still waiting on 4 to start moving. Yes, i'm watching you! lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2011, 05:36:40 PM »

When do we have to have this done by, Teach? lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

This one is tricky because of the various lengths of all the stories but I think by the end of August is fair.  But by Monday everyone should have at least started reviewing and reading their stories, even if it's only one chapter. At least something. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2011, 06:49:18 PM »

For the "would I read games if there were a sequel" yes actually I would be interested.

Mellz Bellz

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »

Just finished Chapter 18 of 00Carter and the episode Ice, Ice, Baby. I liked how more of the characters and their backstorys were revealed, but this was not my favorite episode. It took place in Antartica and involved spying penguins which was funny, but I just found it sort of far fetched.The story is flowing better now and I am liking the bitter relationship between Brian and Nick. Something tells me that Nick's hatred for Brian is not personal, but he has personal issues with the US government which I cannot wait to find out about.

The one thing that I am struggling with is all the celeb cameos. It's not just BSB and Nsync. Now we are getting into other boyband members and the members of TATU. I mean that's just a nitpicky preferance thing, but I'd prefer more OC's. Outside of the female agents we really don't have any.

I did sneak a peek at the first chapter of the next episode and I think I'm going to like that MUCH better. I'm already super intrigued by it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16