Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The great AU debate!  (Read 3953 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: The great AU debate!
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »

So, what's your thoughts on Alternate Universe fics?
I like them. I realized I don't read as many as I thought I did.

What is it that draws or pushes you away from the genre?
I really don't pay attention to the genre. It's mostly the summary or the *looks around for Mare* the banner.

Do you think AU's have a bad rep?
I don't think they have a bad rep, but sometimes they may be overlooked because the guys aren't BSB.

As a writer, do you enjoy writing AUs or do you stay away from them?
Most of my stories are AUs actually and I really enjoy putting the guys in a different scenario. I guess I write AUs instead of OF because the guys still inspire me somehow and it's so much easier to write up a personality I'm familiar with as opposed to making one up. (I hope that makes sense.) They are still who they are, just didn't turn out to be Backstreet Boys.

If you do write  AU's, is your writing process different then when you write regular Fanfic?
It's an easier process, because I'm not as big of a fan as I used to be. So I don't really know what they are doing at the time. Tour dates. Opening acts.  And I"ve forgotten some of their history and I'm really too busy to go back and find out. (I know I'm a bad fan... :()

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »

Don't feel bad, i'm a bad fan too lol

I really think most of us have at least tried to write an AU which I think is pretty awesome. Is there anyone out there who has never ever tried to write an AU?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 03:32:11 PM »

I guess I write AUs instead of OF because the guys still inspire me somehow and it's so much easier to write up a personality I'm familiar with as opposed to making one up. (I hope that makes sense.)

That makes total sense.  I'm the same way; the guys themselves inspire ideas, but if I have an OF idea that I can write as a BSB AU, I will, not only because then I don't have to make up male characters from scratch, but also because there's a built-in audience of people who will read it.  That makes it more fun too LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 03:34:27 PM »

^ That's what I was trying to say in my survey but it probably didn't come across that way. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »

You know, something I realized when I was at work lurking on here through my phone...

I used to have practically nothing but AU fics. I didn't write anything that had the Boys, as the Boys really. It wasn't till I started collaborating with Julie (oddly enough) that I started writing stories/ideas where the Boys were themselves instead for my solo stories. I think that may be because I started writing original fiction, long before I ever even discovered fanfic. It's kinda backwards since most start in fanfic, and then move on to OF lol. I did the opposite. But then, I've always been a little odd. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

LOL And I've written way more AU since I started writing with you.  We are good influences on each other, getting each other to try out different types of stories.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2011, 06:48:14 PM »

Definitely. And I think we've both gotten worse with torturing since we started collaborating. Mwahahahaha... .
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 [2]