Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: "We go together like bop shu wop de dop bada bada bing bang..."  (Read 23517 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: "We go together like bop shu wop de dop bada bada bing bang..."
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50:35 AM »

Yep, that's what a beta reader is for.  As long as you're okay with your co-author changing any parts that sound awkward, don't let that stop you from joining in! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »

^ that's not true.  The person you pair with could definitely help you with words and help edit it to make sure it flows.   

I thought of that but it would bring more work to the other writer and that's not fair to her. Thank you! I guess I'll have to find someone who's willing to do more work that she would have to do.  :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »

^ i'm sure your collaborater won't mind helping you out, or you could always work with someone else who isn't writing in their first language.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
  • Would you risk it for a chocolate biscuit?
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2011, 10:32:36 AM »

I thought of that but it would bring more work to the other writer and that's not fair to her. Thank you! I guess I'll have to find someone who's willing to do more work that she would have to do.  :)

I'm sure it won't be much of a problem to someone. It's their native language so it's not hard for them to correct any awkward English or grammar/spelling mistakes. :) English isn't my native language either and I used to be really insecure because I sometimes struggle with words too. But I realize that every chapter I write is an opportunity to improve both my English and my writing skills.

Hey, you could try and write the chapter in your own language first and then translate it because it's always easier to word things in your own language. I do that when I'm lost, I write the chapter in Dutch and translate it and it comes out just the way I want and mostly the translated version looks way better. :)

I also don't think this challenge is some sort of contest between two authors. It's ok when readers can see that you wrote, for example, the first chapter. You can see it as a way to improve your English. You have no idea how many people on this board think it's awesome we write in a language other than our own, I've had my share of compliments lol. ;) You could see this challenge as a challenge to yourself to write with someone who has English as a native language. You could learn a lot from the person you're collabing with. I sure hope I will. ;D Also, I see this challenge as an opportunity to see whether collabing is my thing or not. Maybe you find someone you will be collabing with multiple times in the future. :)

My point is, don't be discouraged by the fact English isn't your first language. Just go for it!

*End of pep talk lol*

PS. if the person you're collabing with doesn't really feel like helping you out for whatever reason (but I don't think that'll happen), you can also turn to me. I'm pretty good at correcting English grammar and spelling mistakes, if I may say so myself LOL *no ego*
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:36:29 AM by TheDistantHeart »

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2011, 10:41:25 AM »

I was hoping you'd join in Imke! :-D 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »

To Julie and Mare, thank you for your ideas! :)

To Thedistanthear t (sorry, I don't know your name yet) Thank you for your message. That means a lot. And by the way I Love Dutchs! I was in your country last year twice and fell in love with the place. :)

So now, with a little encouragement from the great peeps here, I'm up for the challenge and hoping someone would try collaborating with me. :)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:12 AM »

Well, carterkid and I are starting to toss around an idea. I've got another idea that I may want to save for myself or use with someone else, based on a title prompt at writingfix.com called "The Video Game that Went Wild": At least one of the guys is taken into a video game, either by getting zapped into it by lightning/electricity, or the enemy characters take a gateway that opened during a power outage (maybe said BSB is beta-testing before the big release), snatch the Boy(s) and take him/them into the game. The only way to escape and return to the real world is to play the game.  In hindsight, that's kind of like the movie Tron, isn't it? The new one, I mean. I haven't seen the original.

I like this idea! We could write about this, if you want. :)

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2011, 11:14:37 AM »

I was hoping you'd join in Imke! :-D 

I am! I'm collabing with Maggie. ;D

TheDistantHeart

• Major Disruption
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »

To Julie and Mare, thank you for your ideas! :)

To Thedistanthear t (sorry, I don't know your name yet) Thank you for your message. That means a lot. And by the way I Love Dutchs! I was in your country last year twice and fell in love with the place. :)

So now, with a little encouragement from the great peeps here, I'm up for the challenge and hoping someone would try collaborating with me. :)

My name is Imke and you're welcome. :) Aww thanks! Have you been to Amsterdam? Where do you live, by the way?

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2011, 02:10:38 AM »

My name is Imke and you're welcome. :) Aww thanks! Have you been to Amsterdam? Where do you live, by the way?

Hi Imke, nice to meet you I'm Ritz. Yep, I've been to Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Pernis, Moerdijk, Schiedam and Zevenbergen. Really nice places.... :) and I live in Manila, Philippines. Thousand miles away from you guys. :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2011, 02:45:10 PM »

Well since I haven't heard from my collab partner we haven't written anything yet.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »

Have you messaged her Tracy?  Maybe she's not been online for a couple of days or has been busy. 

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »

She didn't give me her email...I may try to catch her on yahoo. I would dm her on twitter but she doesn't follow me. So I hope something works out.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

Have you messaged her on here?  It's hard sometimes to be around at the same time as someone else, but I'm sure it will work out. 

Karen

• Major Disruption
  • You only live once.
    • drivebylove
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2011, 05:17:54 PM »

I'm still here. I hardly log onto yahoo. In fact, I had to download it the other day to message you. I can sign on though - at least try to sign on - more.
Find me @ drivebylove, ac
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8