Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The no copy cats club  (Read 4410 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: The no copy cats club
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »

Maybe they just get enjoyment from fooling readers? 

I remember the first fanfic I wrote on a Take That site...this girl PM'd me and asked if she could copy - word for word - a few paragraphs of my story!  I was kind of horrified and shocked but what could I say?  I wanted to tell her to write her own damn story, but I'm too polite lol.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 05:12:34 PM »

It's one thing to be inspired by someone else's story, a book, a movie, a TV show, or whatever.  As long as you put your own spin on the idea and write it in your own way, it's fine.  No idea is truly original.  It's when you're literally copying or paraphrasing someone else's words without crediting them that you're plagiarizing.  I don't see how anyone can do that and think it's okay.

That's so weird that someone would ask if she could copy your story, Steph LOL.  I mean, at least she asked instead of just doing it, but why would she want to do that in the first place?  Just write your own words!!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 01:03:56 AM »

I know, it was really weird!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

Even though I used the idea from the movie Timers I put a note in my story. I mean it was a non blockbuster movie that I watched on Netflix but the idea was not mine so I have to credit it. 

I can't believe people don't credit others intellectual property. 

My husband has to apply to work on programming jobs with his company.  Part of what he does is THEIR intellectual property... LOL he cant work on anything similar, though that's also conflict of interest but yah they also use the phrasing intellectual property when it comes to my husbands brain!
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:24 PM »

I don't think it's a big deal to base a fanfic on a movie, as long as you credit the movie for the idea.  I see that as a form of fanfic itself.  As long as you're not making money off it, not a big deal.  But taking actual lines from a script and passing them off as your own is the same as copying someone else's story and using find/replace to change the characters' names.  Either way, it's stealing.
~Julie

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 04:45:06 PM »

I don't think it's a big deal to base a fanfic on a movie, as long as you credit the movie for the idea.  I see that as a form of fanfic itself.  As long as you're not making money off it, not a big deal.  But taking actual lines from a script and passing them off as your own is the same as copying someone else's story and using find/replace to change the characters' names.  Either way, it's stealing.

So then what do you think of 50 shades of grey? She tried to pass it off as original until someone said "Nope, I read the fanfic version" and now she's making money off of something that was really, truly, someone else's idea. Add to that, Stephenie Meyer herself has been quoted as saying "Don't write fanfic on my stuff, they were my ideas, use your own."

Just curious ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 05:09:14 PM »

This came up in the 50 Shades of Grey thread, but I think the fact that the fanfic was originally AU (from what I've heard) makes it more acceptable than if she had taken a canon Twilight fanfic, with vampires and werewolves and that whole universe Stephenie Meyer had created, and published it as a work of original fiction.  Instead, what she has is an original storyline with characters inspired by Stephenie Meyer's characters, but not the exact same.

I think with BSB fanfic authors, it would be the same way - you'd have more luck getting an AU published than you would a canon BSB story, because it would be hard to pass a canon story off as an original fic without rewriting it to get rid of all the boyband stuff.  You could still have the guys be a band, but you'd be walking a fine line not to make it completely obvious.
~Julie

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 09:06:03 PM »

This came up in the 50 Shades of Grey thread, but I think the fact that the fanfic was originally AU (from what I've heard) makes it more acceptable than if she had taken a canon Twilight fanfic, with vampires and werewolves and that whole universe Stephenie Meyer had created, and published it as a work of original fiction.  Instead, what she has is an original storyline with characters inspired by Stephenie Meyer's characters, but not the exact same.

I think with BSB fanfic authors, it would be the same way - you'd have more luck getting an AU published than you would a canon BSB story, because it would be hard to pass a canon story off as an original fic without rewriting it to get rid of all the boyband stuff.  You could still have the guys be a band, but you'd be walking a fine line not to make it completely obvious.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 10:15:07 PM »

Sure!  I can't judge this author for reworking a fanfic to get it published because I'd love to do the same thing LOL.  But it would only work with certain storylines, and it takes extra effort to make it not seem like a fanfic.
~Julie

Pages: 1 [2]