Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts  (Read 40930 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 09:10:37 PM »

I'm reading it now too. If "sausage" is used in it, I will actually die laughing. But yeah I agree, if you're going to write a sex scene, man up and use the right words! Otherwise it'll just come out sounding awkward.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »

Sausage!  LMFAO!!!  That would totally kill the scene for me; I'd die laughing too!

Keep us posted on your progress, both of you; I'll just read it vicariously through you guys LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

Probably, unless they published for free from Amazon itself I guess? I have no idea about everyone else lol

I don't recall seeing an intial fee to publish on kindle, only commission. I have to read again but I don't remember a fee when I read up on it.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

^ to self publish on there? Yeah I didn't think you would have to pay for that of you are using them to do it.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »

From what I read it's a commission process... you publish and they take a commission. I have yet to read anything about a fee to upload a book.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2012, 10:29:56 PM »

It's a fee for people who want to have their stuff on Kindle that aren't self published using Amazon. It wouldn't even be on their site it's just something we are sent as authors.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

since it's published in book format already with another self publishing company I guess there could be a fee if that' what you mean.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2012, 10:38:51 PM »

It wasn't self published but yes, that's the general idea lol

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2012, 12:39:01 AM »

I'm reading it now too. If "sausage" is used in it, I will actually die laughing. But yeah I agree, if you're going to write a sex scene, man up and use the right words! Otherwise it'll just come out sounding awkward.

No, I took "sausage" from the movie "10 things I hate about you" lol, sorry!

twofaced

• Fledgling
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2012, 01:47:29 AM »

Chapter 1 has been read, and let me just say:

OMG!

*Rolls eyes* Please tell me it gets better???

I was groaning before I'd even gotten through 2 pages. First of all she has the confidence of a snail, and in true Bella fashion, relishes in it. Also, what college student in todays day and age says "She's my dearest, dearest friend." Ugh. The clumsiness in Bella was understated. You knew she was clumsy but it wasn't evident in EVERY page just about, like it is in shades, almost like James wants it to be a comic undertone, not just a statement of character...

AND WHO DECORATES AN OFFICE WITH SANDSTONE FLOORING? Sorry, I took a year of geology. Sandstone crumbles and breaks, as walls, sure, but not as a floor. Heels don't clack on sandstone, they break the sandstone...

And in true Cullen tradition, everyone that has anything to do with "Edward" is PERFECT.

Barf tastic...

Wondering if I'll return it or not...

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »

I wouldn't bother continuing with it, LOL!

What I didn't understand was that a supposed 21 year old college student had never had a boyfriend or been attracted to anyone in her life.  Then she sees Edward/Christian and BAM she's in love *rolls eyes*

Also the language used isn't even typical for British people, never mind American!  The example you gave "dearest dearest friend" is not something a 20 something or even 30 something would say, and I'm a 30 something year old Brit :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2012, 05:43:27 AM »

Does this story take place in the UK?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:31 AM »

Does this story take place in the UK?

No, it takes place where Twilight did.  But the author is English and lots of people have complained about it not sounding very American.  But then the author uses words that aren't typically used by 20 somethings in England either.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2012, 06:00:20 AM »

Oh okay lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2012, 07:24:33 AM »

I'm on Chapter 3. The way it's written does sound very awkward. It's like, Dawson's Creek in the 40's or something LOL. No one talks like this. I'm finding it to be very slow paced and at the same time the character likes this Christian Grey dude way too quickly. It feels like nothing is happening and the writer is just trying to get to her plot too fast but putting in way too much nonsense.

I'm typically not a fan of things that are written in present tense either, but that's just personal preference.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14