Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts  (Read 41131 times)

twofaced

• Fledgling
Re: 50 Shades of Grey - kinda curious on everyone's thoughts
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2012, 09:29:00 AM »

I'm on Chapter 3. The way it's written does sound very awkward. It's like, Dawson's Creek in the 40's or something LOL. No one talks like this. I'm finding it to be very slow paced and at the same time the character likes this Christian Grey dude way too quickly. It feels like nothing is happening and the writer is just trying to get to her plot too fast but putting in way too much nonsense.

I'm typically not a fan of things that are written in present tense either, but that's just personal preference.

Oh, but you remember Bella was attracted to Edward RIGHT away and couldn't understand why he was so repulsed by her! lol

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

I gave up reading the book. It was really dumb and the graphic scenes had no real point. I mean personally I'm ok with the sex scenes when they have a point - like when you're actually rooting for the characters to get together or they actually are in love - but the scenes in 50 Shades kind of feel pointless or something... even when the author's TRYING to make them more romantic than S&M driven.

I definitely feel like EL James is cheapening the realm of fan fiction. And it makes me want to fix up Something Beautiful even more and spin it better. lol There's just so damn much that needs fixing in it!  :'( lol and my concentration level is like in the negatives this summer with all the stress from preparing to move and everything...

Anyways... The first 8 minutes of UP was fantastic... *sigh* lol

There's ways to self-publish to an eBook that's cross platform and sell in places besides Amazon (inlcuding Barnes & Noble). You only pay for a designer to create the PDF basically (or you can create it yourself on Adobe InDesign if you know how to with the specs for eBook publishing). Also an ISBN number. If you (Mare) had it published professionally though not through self-publishing, you might want to check with your publishers about the eBook process because they may hold some sort of clause in the contract about exclusivity.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2012, 10:09:28 AM »

My dearest, dearest friends

I did not date until I was 21 BUT you can't say I wasn't attracted to several, several guys...

:) 

thanks for giving me more reason to stay away from it
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »

Thank you guys for confirming my belief that I'm not missing out on something amazing by not reading this book!!!  I respect you all and trust your judgment - it must be as terrible as it sounds!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2012, 07:37:11 PM »

Oh, but you remember Bella was attracted to Edward RIGHT away and couldn't understand why he was so repulsed by her! lol

I never actually read Twilight lol I just saw the first movie haha. Absolutely no desire to read those books.

No desire to read this one either, really, I just want to be able to have a good argument for my night out with friends on Friday lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2012, 09:05:47 PM »

I have read all the Twilight books. I'll admit I don't mind the actual BOOKS... I feel like they are mediocre writing but the character of Edward could be analyzed to have some real depth (which is why I found them interesting enough to finish) - though I feel that was probably accidental more than anything else on Meyer's part... but the movies are absolutely ridiculous. I literally fell asleep watching Breaking Dawn Part 1 a couple days ago.  ???

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »

I have to admit, I can see the appeal of Twilight; I plowed through all four of those books in two weeks, so there had to be something there.  That said, I had a hard time trying to reread them.  I'm the kind of reader who reads good books over and over again, but they just didn't hold my attention like they did the first time.  I think the reason I read them so fast was just to see how the storyline would turn out, not because they were actually good.  Turns out, the way the storyline ends is a huge letdown that makes the other books basically pointless, and Edward is a huge creeper.  Even Jacob is creepy by the end.  I've still seen all the movies (and yes, Breaking Dawn Part 1 was really bad), but I believe people who make fun of them are completely justified in doing so LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »

I loved the Twilight books and have seen the films (and I own the DVDs), but I can understand why people would find them ridiculous, lol.  I didn't like the whole imprinting thing.  Bella got on my nerves as did Jacob, and Edward was a bit of a stalker...but I loved him hahaha :)  Also the end of book four was a let down as I wanted a huge battle.  My favourite book was Eclipse.

But 50 Shades has nothing that appeals to me.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2012, 07:18:45 AM »

I HATED Twilight the book with ten passions lol I was in the hospital when I read it and the nurses would come in and laugh because I was always yelling at it! My version of hell would to eternally hear Nkotb read Twilight. I can't think of anything worse... Well I guess if they tried to sing it, that would be worse lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »

I HATED Twilight the book with ten passions lol I was in the hospital when I read it and the nurses would come in and laugh because I was always yelling at it! My version of hell would to eternally hear Nkotb read Twilight. I can't think of anything worse... Well I guess if they tried to sing it, that would be worse lol

I'm sat here laughing at the image of NKOTB singing the Twilight books!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2012, 07:56:26 AM »

I'm still not entirely sure they could all read lol Oh no she didn't. SNAP :-p
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »

Best. Comments. Ever.  :D

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »

People at work are starting to stare at me I'm laughing so hard about this.  And yes, I too have an image of NK singing the Twilight books...

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

Hehe :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2012, 11:26:13 AM »

OMG Mare! That was hilariously evil!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14