Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 59105 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2012, 06:44:11 PM »

Along the lines of what we have been talking about in here, if you could pick two stories you have written as a before and after to show us how much you have grown as a writer, which two would you pick?

I could if I hadn't deleted every embarrassing story from the face of the internet years ago lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2012, 07:04:48 PM »

Along the lines of what we have been talking about in here, if you could pick two stories you have written as a before and after to show us how much you have grown as a writer, which two would you pick?

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=112 A very old story, called Blind Within The Shadows. It's very cheesily written. It's the whole "Nick's long lost twin" thing with a bit of the supernatural thrown in. Think of like the old school disney remake of "Back to Witch Mtn." lol where twins put their hands together and there was a glow... (anyone know what I'm talking about?) Not the same, but very clearly inspired by that. It's all around just cheesy and bad lol. Then again, I was sixteen when I started it lol. Lots of telling, less showing, and so yeah.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9551 I feel some of my best writing is in Song For The Undead. I've definitely grown a LOT and it shows very well in this story.  I've had a lot of people say they can't tell who writes what really, and it's such a huge compliment cause Julie's a very talented author. The detail and the way the story is written, I'm just very proud of it and the fact I've gotten good enough to be right there with her.

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2012, 07:53:19 PM »

LOL I know right? Everyone had those silly little dolls back in the day. I remember I had quite a collection of midi files on multiple floppy disks..haha! 2001 was good times.

LOL I still have a whole box of old floppies with my website files and pics from around that time!  Too bad I have no floppy drive to put them in anymore; that would probably be entertaining.

This is the oldest version of my site I can find online via the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20011116205355/http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/  It's from 2001, but after I revamped to get rid of the Comic Sans, lurid backgrounds, and midis, so it doesn't look as horrible as it did originally.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:53 PM »

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=112 A very old story, called Blind Within The Shadows. It's very cheesily written. It's the whole "Nick's long lost twin" thing with a bit of the supernatural thrown in. Think of like the old school disney remake of "Back to Witch Mtn." lol where twins put their hands together and there was a glow... (anyone know what I'm talking about?) Not the same, but very clearly inspired by that. It's all around just cheesy and bad lol. Then again, I was sixteen when I started it lol. Lots of telling, less showing, and so yeah.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9551 I feel some of my best writing is in Song For The Undead. I've definitely grown a LOT and it shows very well in this story.  I've had a lot of people say they can't tell who writes what really, and it's such a huge compliment cause Julie's a very talented author. The detail and the way the story is written, I'm just very proud of it and the fact I've gotten good enough to be right there with her.

Um, have we talked about the Escape to Witch Mountain remake before?  Because I totally know what you're talking about, and I LOVE that one!  My favorite version of that movie!  It's on YouTube!  http://youtu.be/VdgkiScbuMA

And thanks for the compliment!  I feel like we bring out each other's best and make each other even better with our collabs!  I feel the same way about you with 00Carter - some of my best writing has gone into that story because I feel the need to live up to you and Lore and Kelly and all the other talented people we've had writing it along with us.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2012, 08:14:50 PM »

LOL I still have a whole box of old floppies with my website files and pics from around that time!  Too bad I have no floppy drive to put them in anymore; that would probably be entertaining.

This is the oldest version of my site I can find online via the Wayback Machine: http://web.archive.org/web/20011116205355/http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/  It's from 2001, but after I revamped to get rid of the Comic Sans, lurid backgrounds, and midis, so it doesn't look as horrible as it did originally.

I greatly enjoy how it's the Over The Rainbow edition of the site, lol. Also that you have frames! I never could figure out how to get frames to work back then, haha!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:28 PM »

LMAO Yes indeed!  I had to get some help from Jenna of Swollen Issues fame to figure out how to do frames!  I think that was why I revamped, cause that was the first version with frames - I was so proud! Hahaha
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2012, 10:24:08 PM »

Um, have we talked about the Escape to Witch Mountain remake before?  Because I totally know what you're talking about, and I LOVE that one!  My favorite version of that movie!  It's on YouTube!  http://youtu.be/VdgkiScbuMA

And thanks for the compliment!  I feel like we bring out each other's best and make each other even better with our collabs!  I feel the same way about you with 00Carter - some of my best writing has gone into that story because I feel the need to live up to you and Lore and Kelly and all the other talented people we've had writing it along with us.

I think so LOL. Yeah that old story of mine was totally inspired by that. YAY for you finding it on youtube! I haven't watched it since I was a kid but I still remember it.  And awwww thank you! I gotta agree, you've written some epic scenes for 00Carter, like the alien baby scene lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #172 on: June 10, 2012, 06:48:15 AM »

Mizpah was the very first story I have ever written and I cringe when I just open it up. I feel like it's kind of all over the place and not that well put together and loaded with tons of grammatical errors! Back then I was just getting to know the boys and trying to get a sense of who they were so a lot of that story is so cliche in the way they act or speak. lol I also had barely written anything before trying on that one. I had started on Mel's but it was in its very early stages so Mizpah was my attempt to do something I had previously only just read. I winged it! lmao

I started to notice a change in my writing while working on Fly Fishing. Where before I used to rush and try to get out a chapter a day, this one I took my time with it and really tried to visualize the characters and the scene and then wrote it down as I saw it. I feel like just by doing that I kind of elevated my writing a bit. Things started to flow and my descriptions weren't as in your face but became much more subtle. It's like by then, I finally got what it took to write a story and I hope it's just gotten better with every one since.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2012, 02:05:24 PM »

Do you think there is any subject matter that should be off limits when it comes to writing a story? Is there anything you would never write about?

I would never write things like incest and I can't see myself ever writing slash unless it was a challenge.  I also don't like to kill off the real kids (but I have no problem killing anyone else off!)  Not sure if I would suggest something should be off limits because it all comes down to personal taste.

If I tell you all my awesome ideas I'll find them on the most recent page tomorrow! :P

Here's a question... what do you do when the chapter you're working on just won't come out? Do you try and visualize the scene, or perhaps write ahead and come back to it?

When I'm stuck, I disconnect my internet so that I'm not distracted by things like Twitter.  I try to imagine the scenes in my mind, or I'll just close my word document and come back to it later.  I like it to be quiet when I'm writing.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

I have another question and I wanted to write it now before I forgot it lol

Do you have an all time favorite scene or chapter you have written in any fanfic that makes you say, wow...that was pretty great if I do say so myself? And don't lie and say "Oh, i've never thought that!" You know you have, so just fess up now! lol

And yes, at the risk of sounding like an ego maniac, you can name more than one if you'd like! lmao

My favourite scene of all is from Save A Prayer and it's where Jordan's head is crawling with bot flies.  It's really gross, but it's something I think stands out, lol.

Another thing I wrote that I was proud of is a short story called Resistance which is not posted.  It's a Jason Orange (Take That) story and I put a lot of emotion into it I think.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #175 on: June 10, 2012, 02:17:30 PM »

I actually just recently went back and read a few of my stories. The whole time I was thinking "I wrote this? Really?" It just didn't feel like it was something that had come from my mind.

I did enjoy them though, it was refreshing to go back and relive those story lines.

I never usually read back anything I've written, but I did recently and couldn't believe I'd written it, lol. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #176 on: June 10, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

I'm so glad my first attempts at fanfic have vanished off the face of the earth!  The first one I posted on AC was a story called Forces Of Nature, which is a bit cringeworthy as it's about a girl called Steph (LOL) who jumps into bed with AJ at the first opportunity.  I've never read it back since posting it.

Erm, I suppose one which would show I've grown as a writer would be Rewind.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #177 on: June 10, 2012, 03:25:02 PM »

Todays question:

How do you come up with your story titles? Does the title come first or later on as you're writing it?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2012, 03:38:55 PM »

Mine are usually song titles (but not always).  Like with Save A Prayer, it's a Duran Duran song and the video shows them in a jungle, which is why I chose it.  Rewind is a Paolo Nutini song I like which kind of inspired the story a little.

I usually think of the title as I'm writing the first chapter.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2012, 04:31:17 PM »

I can't start a story until I have a title, so that's one of the first things I brainstorm after coming up with a new idea.  I get a lot of my titles from songs, too, mainly BSB songs.  These days I prefer using something from the lyrics to actual song titles if I can help it, but I still use a mix of both.  The titles I come up with on my own are usually short and simple.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26