Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day  (Read 61594 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic/writing/fandom etc... Question(s) of the day
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2012, 11:10:55 PM »

I'm sort of on the fence.

I think it's a good thing for people to try and get their writing out there. It's always good when people are able to take their creative hobby and turn it into something a little more than just a hobby, or even a full time job if they're really lucky and really good. I don't know, I feel like if you're going to self publish at least have some sense and get your stuff professionally edited. I know that not everyone has that money, but I would hope that people would have the sense to have their stuff looked over by someone who knows what they're doing.

I don't think I'd ever do it, honestly. I might put my original fiction up on kindle for free for anyone to download (just on my own site, not on Amazon or anything) but I think it takes a little bit out of getting a contract and legitimately published. I think there would be something special about a third party liking your work enough to publish it and put it out there on your behalf.

Honestly though I know next to nothing about the publishing world.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #211 on: June 12, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »

As for Mare's questions, titles are hard for me but most of the time I don't think about it and let it come to me, or I use a song title or play on words.

Dialogue is sometimes hard, my friend and I act out scenes over yahoo messenger and I write the story using what we come up with in brainstorming.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2012, 12:44:48 AM »

I would rather go through some kind of professional editor or publishing company myself. I know of people who do the self publishing thing, if they are comfortable with doing that, it is up to them I guess. I wouldn't do it myself. If I was gonna get published I'd rather it be for an original fiction and not something that was edited. Not knocking down anyone that has. It's just not for me.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »

To answer my own question, I'm not the biggest fan of the whole self-publishing thing. I feel like it cheapens the process. It's like how auto-tune cheapens the music world. You used to need raw singing talent, now all you need is youtube and a computer. It used to be you needed real writing talent to make it in the publishing world, and now all you need is the right programs. I mean the whole 50 Shades thing is like the Ke$ha of writing. Both just cheapen the real talent out there.

I mean if you really want to turn your writing into more than just a hobby, why do it the easy way? The easy way is never worth it. It's hard to get published but when you do, it's worth it. Look at Mare, she's made it happen. Kelly's made it happen. I just would wonder if I was ever talented enough to do it the real way, if I ever tried to self-publish. I don't want to wonder that. When I feel I have something worthy, I want to do it the hard way and know for sure.

Besides, some people I've seen self-publish brag like they made it on the top ten bestseller's list and it's really annoying. Because it's not that someone thought they were talented enough, it's that they shoved their stuff online and had their friends buy it. So that's a bit of a pet peeve as well.

And again, I really hate what 50 Shades is doing to not only the Literary World, but the bad image she's giving to fanfic writers. Ugh.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #214 on: June 12, 2012, 04:12:09 AM »

That's kinda lame if they just told their friends to buy it. it kind of cheapens the feeling of accomplishment in my opinion. Since you don't know if these people genuinely liked it or are just doing it because you're friends.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #215 on: June 12, 2012, 06:16:20 AM »

Tonight's question:

What do you find most difficult when writing? Description, plot, dialogue etc...

Pacing is something I have trouble with as I tend to rush things at times.  Also, I don't think I'm descriptive enough.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #216 on: June 12, 2012, 06:30:17 AM »

The whole self publishing thing...I agree and disagree on it. 

I'm sure there are some really awesome books which are self published on Amazon Kindle and I suppose it's a quick and easier way of doing it than going through the other process.  If you think you have a good enough story and have someone edit it, then why not! 

But on the other hand, anyone can do it and like was mentioned before, they could get their friends to buy it and give false reviews to trick people into purchasing it.  It could be awful! 

I've downloaded a few free ones and ones which were under £1 on Amazon and some of them have been so full of typos, made no sense at all, crap story or poorly set out.  But I've also read some good ones too which have been as good or better than real books I've paid more for.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #217 on: June 12, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »

You'd basically have to turn BSB into a fictional band LOL. It'd be difficult, but I could see it. And yeah, see Undead wouldn't be AS hard LOL.

True, but I wouldn't want to do that - I don't think I'd ever write a story about a band or singers or the music business if I weren't writing BSB fanfic LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #218 on: June 12, 2012, 07:05:46 AM »

Rose, I used the same exact analogy with auto tunes etc...

As far as self publishing, I can see why people would want to do it just the same way I can see why people who aren't singers have a go at singing with auto tunes and that's where the problems happen.

I think self publishing is fine for those people that just want to see something of theirs in book form before they die. Don't ever really plan on taking writing seriously & have the money to do it. If that's the case then go for it.

If however you do it just because it's 'easier' and 'faster' then that's ridiculous. Now with the whole e-book thing it's easy peasy to self publish and for free at most places but do I think it cheapens the process? You bet.

The whole process of getting published or rejected is not fun, but so worth it in the end. I only wish I had sent Mel's out to more places and not just one at a time. I sold myself short by jumping on the acceptance letter only to find out later from a Random House person it would have been ideal for what they were looking for.

That being said, I think a lot of people don't even try because they sell themselves short. So many of you have enough natural talent to try it the hard way. It really has to do with what they are looking for and who accepts what.

I know I did work my ass off for over a year during the editing process with my editor. It's a humbling experience. And knowing how hard the process is I do get offended when people assume I self published just because it's the new trend. And I just wrote a novel on the topic lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #219 on: June 12, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »

Oh and thanks for the Shadow Woods mention, Rose! I do intend to send it out once I can afford to make a few more copies lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #220 on: June 12, 2012, 07:28:57 AM »

I made a start on reading Shadow Woods yesterday in work Mare, but I wasn't logged in to the site and then my stupid boss got in the way grrrrrr!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #221 on: June 12, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »

I adore Shadow Woods, it was such a good story from start to finish. Among one of my favorites :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »

Aww, thanks guys! :)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »

Thanks for the mentions ladies. I've been working on getting Jack into Original fiction...ugh it's a long process though.

I think I would self publish once I got rejected over and over and I just wanted to have a copy of my story in book form, not to sell it. You all are right it does cheapen the whole getting published concept. It seems to easy where is the fun and acheivment of getting a yes on being published by a big publisher.

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »

I think self-publishing cheapens in one way, but in another it allows for complete creative control and can be a way for those of us who can't afford the editors and all that goes into the actual publishing experience. I mean it's sort of like being an entrepreneur rather than taking a job and working your way up the corporate ladder. There are thousands of crappy businesses started every year but there's the one or two that take over the world quick. What if the kick starters that got some of the more genius companies of today running had gone a more traditional route and never been noticed? I don't know, I think there's some honor going either way - you got noticed by a third party or you made it yourself - but they key isn't in HOW a story is published so much as it is in that the author has talent. Right?
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26