Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

Author Topic: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)  (Read 36277 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Let the Summer Reading Commence! :O)
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:40 PM »

Name of story: Figured You Out by DelphinaCarter 

1) When you were asked to pick a story for the challenge, what made you choose this one and why didn't you read it before this point? 

I'd heard good things about this story and I hadn't read it before because I kinda suck at reading! Sometimes I do tend to go on a reading spree! 

2) What actually was the biggest challenge for you when it came to reading the story?

When my iPod didn't want to review on each chapter. Other than that I tried my best to keep a good reading pace.

3) When reading, did you feel like it was something you really were looking forward to or more a homework assignment? Did that change once you got into it?

As soon as I started I was really curious to find out what happened in the next chapter. It didn't feel like homework at all.

4) What was your favorite part of the story?

AJ and Brian playing detectives. They didn't give up on their friend and just knew something wasn't right. 

5) Who was your favorite character and why?

I'm going to have to say AJ I just love how he brings the humor to the story.

6) What about your least favorite character and why?

Obviously cray cray Valerie. I just don't know how someone can get so obsessed and harm the person they are interested in. Ugh I'm so glad she got what she deserved!! (ok that was mean...)

7) If there was a sequel to this story, would be you interested in reading it? 

Unless Valerie comes back as a crazy stalker zombie there won't be a sequel. It's great the way it ended!

8) Were you happy with the ending? Did it end the way you predicted it would? 

Yes I was happy with the ending! I predicted the whole AJ and Brian crackin the case just because they were so determined. But I never imagined Valerie ending up the way she did. I also thought Nick was a goner! phew

9) Overall, if you had to take away something from the story, what do you think the lesson learned was? 

Trust your gut!! Also trust your close friends when they tell you somethings not right...

10) Give us one final review that you feel sums up your experience reading this, maybe why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one. 

Most of my reviews were my reactions to the chapter and they were positive because I really enjoyed reading this story. Even though the chapters were short they gave enough information. Tracy does a great job with keeping you guessing and on the edge of your seat. I had heard good things about this story that's why I picked it!

11) For the readers who did this last year and this year, which did you prefer, reading each other's stories or reading someone other than who was reading yours? 

I really enjoyed this year and reading  each other's story was much better and easier. I also liked having a few stories to choose from.

12) Any final comments or suggestions for next year to make this work even better?

None. It's just fine.

13) Any final comments for the author? 

Great job!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2012, 09:30:28 PM »

^ Crazy stalker zombie!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »

6) Tell us something you feel has stood out about the story. The biggest strength thus far

I don't know if any one thing in particular has jumped out at me so far but then again the story is really only at the middle. There's so much more than could develop as the plot continues to arc so I think there's a big opportunity for stand-out moments. At this point though I would say the uniqueness of the plot is the story's biggest strength.

Thank you for your great answers, Julilly! This is what I was worried about when I joined the reading challenge, that the story is not yet finished and I don't think I am halfway through the story. The twist/surprises will be on the later chapters once I established the new characters like Kate. Hopefully, you'd still read the updates when the reading challenge is over. :)
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2012, 10:52:42 AM »

Name of story:

1) When you were asked to pick a story for the challenge, what made you choose this one and why didn't you read it before this point? I picked this one because I've not read any NKOTB stories before so thought I'd challenge myself.

2) What actually was the biggest challenge for you when it came to reading the story? I think the biggest challenge was that it was a NKOTB story as I really don't care for them enough to want to read about them.  But that was the whole idea wasn't it, to read something we wouldn't usually read.

3) When reading, did you feel like it was something you really were looking forward to or more a homework assignment? Did that change once you got into it? Honestly, in the beginning it did feel like a homework assignment, but as I got into it more, I was curious to see how it would all work out in the end.

4) What was your favorite part of the story? When Kayla's restaurant burned down.  I liked the suspense of not knowing if she and the baby would be OK, it definitely made me want to hit that 'next' button.

5) Who was your favorite character and why? I liked Jon because he seemed like a really nice guy and a good friend to both Donnie and Kayla.

6) What about your least favorite character and why? I found Donnie to be a bit of an arsehole at times.

7) If there was a sequel to this story, would be you interested in reading it? Not really a fan of sequels unless there is still plenty of story to tell.  I think Dottie wrapped this one up nicely and there is no need for a sequel.

8) Were you happy with the ending? Did it end the way you predicted it would? I think it ended just right.  I guessed from the start that they would have a happy ever after, and I must admit that I do like a happy ending to a romance story :)

9) Overall, if you had to take away something from the story, what do you think the lesson learned was? To be more open to reading different things.

10) Give us one final review that you feel sums up your experience reading this, maybe why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one. The kind of feedback I gave was my reactions as I was reading each chapter.

11) For the readers who did this last year and this year, which did you prefer, reading each other's stories or reading someone other than who was reading yours? I've enjoyed both ways of doing this challenge.

12) Any final comments or suggestions for next year to make this work even better? Can't think of anything.

13) Any final comments for the author? Nothing comes to mind at the moment.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »

Wow thank you so much Erika :) and LOL crazy stalker zombie. I wrote a one shot companion piece to FYO but I would never write a sequel. To me it's perfect as a single story. I appreciate all the comments.

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2012, 01:07:39 AM »

Name of story: Uncle Daddy by Carterkid

1) When you were asked to pick a story for the challenge, what made you choose this one and why didn't you read it before this point?

For one, Nick is not my favorite boy and why I didn't read it before this point was because it didn't interest me.

2) What actually was the biggest challenge for you when it came to reading the story?

I had trouble reading it basically because of some of the grammar and spelling throughout it

3) When reading, did you feel like it was something you really were looking forward to or more a homework assignment? Did that change once you got into it?

It felt more like a homework assignment and it didn't change all that much as I got further in because it is incomplete at this time and still not where the summary promised the story would take us.

If I'm being honest the only part that made me giggle was the last sentence of the last chapter written saying something to the effect of if there was a way to accidentally kiss a girl, Nick Carter would find it.

At this point, no.

It isn't complete so I can't really answer.

9) Overall, if you had to take away something from the story, what do you think the lesson learned was?

As I said, the story isn't complete so there really isn't any lesson to take away from it at this point in time

10) Give us one final review that you feel sums up your experience reading this, maybe why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one.

My experience with the challenge was not what I expected and I don't expect to be participating  next year. I'll have to see where I am then.  As for  picking another story, this was the only story that was full length enough for me to take on from my partner.

11) For the readers who did this last year and this year, which did you prefer, reading each other's stories or reading someone other than who was reading yours?

N/A

12) Any final comments or suggestions for next year to make this work even better?

I like the latter suggestion in question 11  of reading someone oher than who was reading yours is a good idea.

No

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #141 on: August 01, 2012, 01:26:38 AM »

The Writer's Survey  (To be completed once the person who is reading your story is completely finished reviewing it!)

* This is the chance to let your reader know how you felt about the experience. Same deal as the one above. Be honest, be fair and be ready to explain if you are asked a question.

1) Do you feel like the person reading your story, gave it a fair shot?

- Yes I believe she really did. I loved seeing what she thought of it :)

2) Did you take away anything valuable from the feed back given to you from the person reading your story?

- just about the chapter length mostly but it was all helpful good comments!  
3) Did anything the reader say to you, make you reconsider things you have written and change or correct things?

- See above answer lol. That's all she really had for me. That the chapters were short sometimes but very informative.

4) Are there any questions you'd like to ask the person who read your story?

- not a question but I hope she checks out some of my other work because I will be for her!

5) Any final thoughts or comments concerning the reading challenge and the person who read your stuff?

- I had a fun time doing this reading challenge with her and she made it very enjoyable for me.

6) Would you consider doing this again next year?

- Absolutely

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2012, 03:41:10 AM »

The Writer's Survey  (To be completed once the person who is reading your story is completely finished reviewing it!)

* This is the chance to let your reader know how you felt about the experience. Same deal as the one above. Be honest, be fair and be ready to explain if you are asked a question.

1) Do you feel like the person reading your story, gave it a fair shot? Yes, she did.  Dottie left reviews along the way and even though this probably isn't her kind of story, I think she enjoyed it.

2) Did you take away anything valuable from the feed back given to you from the person reading your story? That Dottie seemed to enjoy the story

3) Did anything the reader say to you, make you reconsider things you have written and change or correct things? No

4) Are there any questions you'd like to ask the person who read your story? I can't think of anything

5) Any final thoughts or comments concerning the reading challenge and the person who read your stuff? I enjoyed taking part in this challenge and hope Dottie did too.

6) Would you consider doing this again next year? Definitely!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #143 on: August 01, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »

It's check in time!

Here's the current update:

People who have finished reading their stories:

Lore
Tracy
carterkid
Ritz
Erika
Julie
Steph
Mare
Sue
Dottie

Dottie you still need to fill out your surveys :)

Congrats, you all get a gold star!!

People who need to get a moving:

Julilly
Rose

I'd love to get a dialogue going about the challenge. What you liked, disliked? It's clear Sue didn't enjoy it so I would hope we'd get some more specifics as to why and same with anyone else. This way it would hopefully flow even better next summer.

Keep reading and if you haven't filled out your final surveys reading and writing wise, don't forget to do it before the end of the month :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »

Name of story: Curtain Call

It's kind of funny because the only reason I stayed away from this story initially is because Julie told me it was something I most likely wouldn't want to read or enjoy. I assumed it was a romance and that's why I stayed away. Julie wasn't talking about romance though, she was talking about the cancer storyline. If I had known that, chances are I would have read along while she was updating it. I chose this story because I have heard nothing but great things about it and wanted to challenge myself to read a 'romance' even though it turned out to not really be a romance at all. LOL

I generally am not a fan of a girl lead in my BSB fanfics, especially when a story is told through their eyes. I knew that would be rough when I saw that.  

I was definitely looking forward to it. I never viewed it as a homework assignment. I got myself into a routine of reading first thing in the morning. It made me look forward to getting up at 5 lol

By far my favorite scenes were the ones that all the boys were involved. I have a few favorites:

The one where Nick tells Kevin he has cancer on the boat. It's funny because that's the only chapter I read as Julie was actually writing it, and it still stands out in my mind as a great one after reading the entire story.

Another one I loved was when he told the guys he was dying. I thought that was an incredibly touching and sad chapter and was one of the few that made me choke up.

There was also a nice simple scene somewhere in the middle with just Nick and Cary that I thought flowed so well. I don't remember it really now, but I do remember mentioning it to Julie at the time so I'm sure she knows what I'm talking about. Anyway, it was a perfect example of how even the smallest of scenes can be entertaining when extremely well written.

My favorite scene was Nick's POV of his death at the end. It was poignant and beautiful and just written perfectly.

My favorite character in this one would have to be Nick. I really hope Julie reconsiders her ability to write as Nick because she does it so well. I loved his thoughts as he was going through this entire story. I wanted to slap him the first half when he kept on putting off telling the guys about the cancer but the second half, you couldn't help but feel for him and all the emotions he was going through. I was so grateful that half the story was told through his point of view because honestly, I don't think I would have loved it as much. I would have really loved it if the entire thing was told through his eyes.

Julie will not be surprised by this answer but I'm sure everyone else will be, although it's me, so probably not that surprised lol

Cary by far was my least favorite character. I really loved her at the beginning of the story. She was strong and nowhere near a Mary Sue and she never was throughout this entire journey. My main problem with her was her relevance for most of the story after Nick goes into remission. I guess I just had a hard time caring about what happened to her and why we were supposed to care about what happened to her since this was mainly about Nick and what he was going through. I felt like she was interrupting the flow for me more so than adding to the story telling although I completely understood her being a nurse and being able to explain what was happening. I do get that and it was clever to have her be from a medical background. I just think from that remission point on, whenever things were told in her POV I had a really hard time getting through the chapters. Having her there in the story but as just another person there, I probably wouldn't have minded her so much. But there in lied the challenge part for me. It also helped with the emotion because I didn't get nearly as choked up when she was telling the story as when Nick was.

To be fair, Julie did create a really well rounded character in Cary. I never pictured some generic movie star to match who she was which is what usually ends up happening for me when it comes to these female leads (Thanks to people who use banners with those people on them lol) Her wishy washy ness and need to be loved were perfectly displayed throughout the story and I didn't dislike knowing more about her or reading about her, just didn't understand why I needed to see things from her POV.

I don't really think there would be any reason to have a sequel to this story. It ended perfectly.

I think this was a perfect ending and yes it did end how I thought it would, although like I told Julie I was kind of hoping for a My Sister's Keeper ending where Nick stayed in remission and the second half was about Cary dying lol  

Life is short! Never take anything for granted. Tell the people who you love that you do love them and freeze your sperm and eggs! lol  

What do I say about this story besides how incredibly well written and thought out it was? The research and time Julie took to make this believable shows in every single chapter. Her characters were so well thought out and strong from the small roles like Cary's dad and best friend to the technical players like Dr. Submarine and Dr. Shnaz! They each had their own voice and were all vital to telling this incredibly sad story. She managed to mix her dialogue and descriptions perfectly to allow the story to flow really well from one chapter to the next. The imagery she used to describe things also really impressed me. She also put small doses of humor in there to help break up the tension. Never over the top but just enough. One other thing that I thought she did really well was her ability to make the sections where she described what was happening during the concerts or whenever a song was being performed not boring. The descriptions of action while they were going seemed just right.

It did seem a little long to me at times, not for lack of a great flow but just getting from point A (the remission) to point B (the final diagnosis.) It almost read like two different stories. A part one and part two. You know when you see a great movie and then you feel like it ends and you let out a sigh about what a great movie it was and then the screen fades to black and you're just about to walk out and then suddenly there is another scene and you're like "Oh, there's more?" lol The second half kind of read like that to me for about 15 or so chapters until Nick got his final diagnosis but again I think it's only because of my feelings about Cary. LOL

I can definitely understand why people raved about this story. It was great and I really hope Julie realizes how truly talented she is when it comes to writing. I was just in awe more so than anything else.

When I gave feedback it was kind of a mix between thoughts concerning the story and reactions to the story with an occasional question and slap of Nick or Cary lol

I really enjoyed doing it the way we did it this year. I felt like it was easier to communicate with each other and it seemed like almost everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I'm open for ideas

Just that she did a stupendous job! What a great writer she is. And she made me really hungry while I was reading it lol and made me want a teacup pig!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #145 on: August 01, 2012, 02:54:42 PM »

No worries! I should have time to sit and read and focus on what I'm doing within the next day or so :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #146 on: August 01, 2012, 03:11:16 PM »

The Writer's Survey  (To be completed once the person who is reading your story is completely finished reviewing it!)

Yes I do. Her reviews were all positive and she seemed to enjoy it :)

2) Did you take away anything valuable from the feed back given to you from the person reading your story?

I can pull off comedy! lol

3) Did anything the reader say to you, make you reconsider things you have written and change or correct things?

Not really.

I don't have any at the moment.

5) Any final thoughts or comments concerning the reading challenge and the person who read your stuff? 

I'm glad that Tracy and I enjoyed each other's stories. We've known each other for so long it was nice to bond through the challenge. 

Oh yeah!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #147 on: August 01, 2012, 03:59:11 PM »

Mare, thank you so much for all the compliments in your survey!  (And LOL at your answer to #9!)  Let me see what I can comment more specifically on in the course of mine.

The Writer's Survey

Absolutely.  We all know what Mare likes and doesn't like in a fanfic, and I knew going in that CC had a few strikes against it - long story, female lead, not enough BSB parts, etc.  But that's why it was called a reading CHALLENGE.  Like she said in her survey, I also worried that she wasn't going to like it because of the cancer storyline, having lost a close friend to cancer not long before CC was written.  She did read Broken back in the day, but I didn't want to encourage her to read something that would hit too close to home.  Come to find out, that wasn't as much of a problem as the female lead LOL.  But she gave Cary a chance and gave some great feedback on her, as well as the rest of the story, so thanks, Mare! :)

I really appreciated all of Mare's feedback, whether it was just her reactions to what she read or parts she particularly enjoyed or compliments on my characters and writing.  It made me glad that I at least wrote half the story in Nick's POV because originally I was only going to tell it in Cary's, and then I changed my mind and decided to balance it between hers and Nick's because I thought his side of the story would be interesting, even if it was more of a challenge for me to write.  I could tell from her reviews that Mare definitely enjoyed his chapters more, so having it all in Cary's would have taken away from her overall enjoyment of the story.  It's a good reminder to keep BSB fics balanced and mainly about the BSB because, after all, those are the guys we're all reading these for!

No, not really.  I reread CC myself from start to finish at the beginning of summer so it would be fresh in my mind as Mare started to read and comment on it, and at the risk of sounding egotistical, it was the first time I've ever read one of my own stories all the way through like that and actually enjoyed the experience.  I hardly cringed, and I didn't hate a thing about it, so I don't think I would change anything (besides correcting the typos I found!).

I do agree with Mare that the slowest part of the story is after the tour wraps and before he gets the final diagnosis; that was my least favorite part to write.  Some of it was filler to get from one point to the other, but it was also the part that explored Nick and Cary's relationship, which I felt was important to her story.  And that's where our interpretation is different, because I always saw CC as Cary's story, in which Nick was the catalyst and the focus.  It was about him, but it was also about the impact he had on her life.  I hope that helps to clarify Mare's question about why she was still there for the second half of the story, telling parts from her POV.  LOL

I don't think so... Mare gave detailed feedback throughout the story and really detailed answers to her survey just now, so I can't think of anything to ask her!

I really enjoyed the experience of partnering with Mare this year.  I loved her story and loved getting feedback from her on mine.  It was rewarding and fun!

Definitely!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:02:13 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #148 on: August 01, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »

^ Thanks, Julie! I tried to do the same thing you did and read Whatever the Night May Bring but I failed! I did make it three quarters of the way at least lmao

simple sue

• Fledgling
« Reply #149 on: August 01, 2012, 04:38:18 PM »

Yes

I received feedback but not anything I would consider constructive such as letting me know they liked or disliked a specific point.

When I was told there were words missing,  I wasn't told specifically where and I enjoy my style so I wouldn't reconsider changing things I've written.

Just curious as to how long my partner has been writing fan fiction because I felt as though I was cheated the benefit of constructive criticism for my writing.

I don't care for the pairing system because I felt as though I really didn't connect with my partner.  I realize it is a challenge but I think maybe taking a list w/ a short summary and link, let the reader decide  what they want to read then let the person supervising the challenge know so they and can take it out of the running until there are no more to choose from so we really don't know whom is reading our story until the reviews start coming in. Just a thought.  

Not sure. I will have to see how I feel about it when it comes around again.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13