Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Do you have a writing quirk?  (Read 15714 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Do you have a writing quirk?
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2012, 06:48:30 AM »

I have my notebooks from when I wrote fanfic in high school. I have so many stories that I haven't used yet but don't plan to. I also have a notebook from when I was in elementary school, short stories. I wrote one about a "magical mermaid" and another about a kid adopted from a third world country.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2012, 06:57:57 AM »

LOL I found a magical mermaid story in one of my books too!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:19 AM »

That's funny. See as a kid I was fascinated with mermaids and mythical creatures, I actually wanted to be a mermaid.

I just remembered that was where I found the early notes for Figured You Out....I had come up with the idea while in high school. It changed a lot when I decided to bring it to AC, the original was very different.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »

I was always Storm too!

I was Rogue... sure her power sucked (literally) but I kind of had a thing for Gambit *coughs*
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 11:12:34 AM »

I was a big time tomboy who actually loved playing barbies! They were always in love. When we played house I always wanted to be the daddy and I always fought the boys for the cars and guns. lol.

I was about eight when I learned about zombies and I stayed awake that whole night waiting for my little brother to become one. Eeek! From then on when the kids wanted to play zombie nation I'd run home terrified.  :'(

When I wasn't playing I was a nerd winning awards and goodies for reading and writing. The local paper in my hometown published three of my stories when I was ten. lol. If only that could happen now.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »

I never wrote for fun until I started writing fanfic, but I did always participate in my district's Young Authors competition when I was in grade school.  I won for my class every year from 4th grade on, but I never placed in the top 3 until 8th grade, when I got smart and realized from reading previous winners' stories that tackling serious issues helps you win.  So I went for the drama with my 8th grade story, and it won first place!  My first major writing award. ;)  Ha!  What's hilarious is how similar this story is to certain fanfics I would write in the future...

I typed it up for kicks; it's only ten pages long, instead of 200 chapters LOL.  I did not scan the illustrations, because those are even more embarrassing than the story.  http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/seasonofmiracles.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:39:31 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »

Awww, I enjoyed your very first award-winning story, Julie! Definitely reminiscent of Broken. It's interesting learning about people's roots as writers!

I know that I was always telling stories and making up stories as a kid. I was always writing short stories and reading them out to my friends in Elementary School, and when I became a fan of BSB Nick just naturally got inserted into them. I still wrote a lot of original stuff especially in Junior High. We did have a school wide writing competition and club but I never bothered with either of them. Not really sure why, I guess I just liked to keep my stuff to myself. I didn't really start sharing my "serious" writing until I was able to do so online.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »

I used to write stories all the time too when I was a kid. We never had writing contests though. We used to have to memorize and then recite a book word for word in our IG classes. And with my memory and how shy I was, I never did well. Lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »

Thanks, Steph!  My favorite author back then was Lurlene McDaniel, and even though I've long since outgrown her books, the influence she's had on my writing is still apparent now, thinking of Curtain Call.  But it was blatantly obvious back then! LOL  That story was basically a fanfic in its own right because the guy was based on my huge junior high crush, Josh.  The doctor is a combination of another guy I liked named Ben and Leonardo DiCaprio.  And the basketball coach is named after Brian LOL.  Is it sad that my tastes haven't changed much since the age of 13?  There's even a mention of Titanic in there LOL.  At least my writing's improved.

I would have been like you; I never liked to share my writing either.  The Young Authors thing only came about because it was required in the younger grades, and I found that I enjoyed it, so I kept participating in that even when it wasn't mandatory anymore.  I never wanted anyone else to actually read my stories, though, even if they won LOL.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »

My first official fanfic that I wrote was back in high school when I didn't know what fanfic was. It was called "lost in the jungle". The plot was that Brian's plane had crashed and Nick went to go find him with AJ tagging along. I still have the handwritten copy. This was when I carried notebooks and wrote during class. I had poetry featured in the school magazine but I was more of an artist, I was in a few art shows in town and had a showcase for a week in the school lobby. My writing didn't get serious until I began posting at AC.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2012, 07:27:07 PM »

Sounds a little like Save a Prayer!  I love stories like that LOL.

So you could actually do a good job illustrating your stories!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »

Yeah I probably could :) I used to paint and draw all the time, took lots of classes for art.

Now that I think about it, that does sound like Save a Prayer, minus the bot flies lol. It did have Brian in a loincloth swinging on vines like Tarzan, if I remember correctly ;)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »

^ LMAO!!!
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2012, 09:36:25 PM »

My first writing endeavor was a children's story called Kate the Cat in which a cat named Kate and a dog named Jack get lost and meet a rabbit named Bunny who helps them find their way back to the farm. It's really awkward writing but the story itself isn't completely terrible for a seven year old... (kinda reminiscent of Twilight that way...) Anyways, my sister's boyfriend was an illustrator and he hijacked a copy of my story and illustrated it for me for my birthday. I still have a copy of it somewhere. It was originally intended to be a series but by the time I finished the first one, I'd started writing other storylines. So typical of me, to start a story and never completely finish it. LOL

My writing ADD started early on.  :-[
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2012, 11:38:41 PM »

LOL I still have my first story. In second grade I discovered my love of writing. It was for some assignment I guess, and for my age I did really well on it. My elementary school had a publishing program where if teachers saw promising writers, they submitted the story. And then you got to publish your book, pick the paper, draw the pictures and they made it into something that lasted lol. So mine was about a talking fox named "Foxy Fox", who wandered off into the woods and ran into a hunter who killed her lmao. Yeah, second grade and I'm already killing off main characters. Go me!
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6