Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 70233 times)

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2012, 03:56:08 PM »

I try to keep the guys exactly the same personalities in every story I write. Therefore, they have the same backstory. So you'll see me reference a backstory multiple times - like Brian and Nick hearing the single the first time in the homegoods dept of KMart, things like that. I tend to use the same "extra" names, too, like their bus drivers usually are named Chris, for example. I also repeat security guard names - some of which I know are actual guards and others I've made up (it's kind of sad, but I don't always remember which ones I've made up and which ones are names that actually exist). I like using the last names of other celebs for other extras - for example for lawyers, doctors, etc., unless they're a real person, their names are probably somehow related to some celeb or character I like. It just helps me to remember who's who.

I have crossed a few stories before by using the same character sketches. For example, I used the character sketch I created for The Goose from Saving the Day for Blondes in the bullies in the jail in Fix, but he went by a different nickname that was in the character sketch. I've also used Pop Stuff Online in more than one story, and I've used Amanda Golde as paparazzi more than just in the Something Beautiful stories - again, though, usually without actually using her name.

LOL Unfortunately for my readers, I see my characters like actors so I know when they're being used more than once but the reader may not because they don't know that I'm using the same character sketch.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2012, 04:44:43 PM »

References to other stories....hmm no I don't think I have done that. But one thing I've noticed is I like to use names with the letter A or use names of people I know in real life as characters, not sure if that counts for anything.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »

I do sometimes try to tie in some fictional events in my stuff. It's hard to do with the suspense stuff, although I have had SN epic idea for a short story one day lol I do add those elements into my lighter stories like Why etc... Like Kevin might mention going on a fishing trip with Nick might bring up the letter he wrote to himself when he was a kid. Stuff like that.

I have put people in cameos before, mostly in 5 BSBs in search of a plot. A lot of characters and fanfic writers made it into that one lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2012, 05:10:22 PM »

I remember reading your Birthday Box story and smiling at the fact that Nick had his letter from the other story in the box :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2012, 05:48:28 PM »

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »

Tonight's question:

Name some of your favorite 'old school' stories and what you liked about them. By old school I don't necessarily mean written a long time ago but that the story takes place at the beginning of the boy's careers. Pre Millenium days.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2012, 04:06:18 PM »

Since I'm answering first, I call Come Together!  LOL

Come Together: http://www.dreamers-sanctuary.com/dwlyn/cometogether.html
The best fanfic that tells the story of how the Boys came together that I've ever read.  It's well-written, well-researched, and very cute!

Cover Me With Dreams: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9184&warning=4
Mare's gonna kill me for posting this one because it's a Nick romance, not a group story, BUT it actually does a great job of showing what things were like back in those early days of Backstreet.  It's Nick-centered (and little Nick is so cute!), but the other guys are in it a lot, especially in those parts.

It Stays With You: http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=3154
I'm going to get back on Mare's good side now by posting one of hers. ;)  It counts because it takes place in 1996, so you get the old-school dynamic between the boys... which, of course, is shattered when Nick and Brian get brutally attacked in their hotel.  Yay old-school suspense!!!

Borrowed Time: http://accidentalchaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10947
Finally, Hannah's doing an awesome job writing this story about the period leading up to Brian's heart surgery.  Again, it's well-written and well-researched and does an awesome job showing the group dynamic, especially between Brian and Nick.  I missed old-school Frick & Frack stories like this!

That's all I can think of.  There really aren't that many stories set in the pre-Millennium days, I'm realizing.  Any stories on my favorites list that take place back then do so because that's when they were written LOL.  Not as many people go back that far when they write stories now.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #112 on: July 03, 2012, 04:15:00 PM »

There's only one I can think of and it's Mare's It Stays With You.  I like the relationships between the boys, the suspense and just the way Mare's written it :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #113 on: July 03, 2012, 05:06:28 PM »

Aww thanks guys! Yay to old school Nick & Brian torture. Just FYI I do have non suspense fics that take place during that time period as well. The Apartment, Total Kaos 24/7 and Little Cabin in the Woods. There's probably a lot more that I can't think of lol I wrote them all a long time ago so some are iffy lol read at your own risk.

Julie you stole Come Together!! Not fair!!

It's weird because a few stories are coming to my mind but I'm not sure of the time period so I have to check that out, then I'll be back lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #114 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:54 PM »

Okay, this is going to be annoying to do on the iPod lol

Here is at least one for now

Seven Days - I think this is pre Millenium. It's an epic, old school boys get kidnapped and are on the run in the woods, story. It's one of those after you go back and read it, it's a little silly but I still love it!!

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=6728

Pretty much anything by Swenglish. She wrote most of her stuff during the old days. The only negative is most of them aren't complete & never will be.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=198

There's also those Marly stories that had ridiculously long titles!

Izzy had a great suspense as well that I can't for the life of me remember the name lol I know, big help huh?

And another one of my all time favs is Can You Keep a Secret which was an adorable Frick & Frack story. It is on Izzys site.

Here is the link to the site

http://www.reocities.com/ocean_izzy/
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:27:44 PM by mare »

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2012, 05:45:51 PM »

I don't think I've ever written a story set that far in the past.  Seeing as how I didn't start writing fanfic until 2000, I think Guilty Roads (set in 1999) is actually the most "old school" story I've written, because usually my stories are set in the present or slightly in the future.  Actually, my Harry Potter crossover is also set in 1999, a few months before GR, so I guess that would be my most old school.  If I ever get around to writing the ER crossover I want to do, that would be really old school, either '95 or '97... haven't decided for sure yet.

I think I'm finding, through my many failed attempts at novelizing Broken, that I don't enjoy writing them as "kids" as well as I like writing them as adults.  Or maybe it's just Nick and the fact that I didn't really like him until he was 22 LOL.  I'd probably do a lot better writing an old school Brian story.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 05:47:27 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #116 on: July 03, 2012, 06:04:22 PM »

Millennium is probably my favorite time period, I love the stories Total Kaos 24/7 and It Stays With You of course. I also am really enjoying Borrowed Time. While I write a lot of AU I really enjoy reading stories from back in the day when the boys were younger. It was a great time in my life as well and I have so many good memories of the boys during millennium. Black and Blue is another favorite time period of mine as well which is why I love Running Up That Hill so much.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »

It's funny that I love the early time period since I became a fan so late & really didn't like any of their older songs at all lol I guess for me it was just the brotherly bonding thing. I don't really enjoy the stuff that takes place currently because at that point it's no longer about their brotherly bond but other stuff.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #118 on: July 03, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »

That's how I feel too Mare. Some of their older songs I don't like but I really love their relationship back then. Things change as people get older, I miss that brotherly love that they had then. I mean, they are probably still like that mow but I liked when the guys were blatantly obvious about it :)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #119 on: July 03, 2012, 10:53:23 PM »

I don't think I've read a lot of stories set in that time period. Well, I mean I did back in the day but I don't really remember any of them as being good, lol. Julie already mentioned Come Together, but I really loved that one just because of how simple it was. It was complex in its simplicity, if that makes any sense. The guys personalities and relationships were written so well and you could see shreds of how they would turn out to be in their younger selves. I liked it a lot.

I'm really enjoying Borrowed Time a lot. Loving all the Frick and Frack that is happening in that story, back before their relationship was so strained. I think Hannah is doing a really good job at portraying how their relationship sort of deteriorated and I know I'm super behind but I can't wait to find some time to sit down and catch up!

I think the only other story I've read set back then was Guilty Roads, and I really love that one too. I think taking 1999 Nick and sticking him in a place that is so far out of his comfort zone is really intriguing. I also like the relationships between the other guys in that one, how Kevin is in the hospital, and how the rest of them are worried about Nick in their own way. It's been a while since I've read it, but I remember that being a really good aspect about it.

And thanks for the Running Up That Hill mention, Tracy  :) I'm glad you like it so much!

I agree with all of you on the fact that the guys relationship from back then is really interesting and a lot more bromantic than it is now.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 27