Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27

Author Topic: Question of the day thread number 2!  (Read 64271 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day thread number 2!
« Reply #285 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »

My sister knows about fanfic now but she's the only person in my RL who does. She doesn't judge me at all for it, at least not to my face. She reads House fanfic lol

My sister used to make fun of me, but it was good-natured.  She actually wrote a one-shot as a joke one time for me to put it on my site... it was twelve years ago, so I don't think I have it anymore, but it was cute.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #286 on: July 11, 2012, 11:43:35 AM »

Going back to Erika's question, my immediate family - mom, dad, sister - are the only ones in my real life who know I write fanfic.  When I started, I still shared a room with my sister, so I could only hide it from her for so long.  Eventually my mom "found" my website (I think my sister told her, but she would never admit to it) and asked me about it.  I made her vow never to read any of my stories, and she promised she wouldn't.  I actually think she's kept that promise because in all these years, she's never mentioned any specific storylines I've written about, and I've written enough weird stuff that I kind of think she would, if she'd really read any of it.  I don't think she cares enough to.  She's the only one who ever asks me about my writing, though, and usually it's with the same attitude as Lore's mom.  "When are you going to write a REAL novel?  You know, not about the Backstreet Boys?"  My dad is clueless about computers, so he's never seen my site and never asked about my writing.  This is fine with me; I don't want them coming to my site or reading my stories or my Twitter!

Hahaha I can't imagine your moms reaction if she read some of your stuff!! My mom wishes I would write something real too, but she just let's me be. Instead she always asks why I don't write about Kevin. lol.

My dad actually told my aunt when I got the Felix Award for suspense, they were all proud of me and my dad asked me if I was gonna print out the banner and frame it. I said no because that just seems crazy. Most people are cool with me writing, I've had co workers read my stuff and said I have a knack for it. Then I also get the people who are snarky and ask if I'm ever gonna do any "real" writing.

LOL @ your dad. Well...when I told my hubby he was thinking I won a large sum of money or something. I was like "uh...no these things are just for fun!"

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #287 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »

^ my husband wanted to know what I got for winning too!! LOL.  silly boys.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #288 on: July 11, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »

My sister used to make fun of me, but it was good-natured.  She actually wrote a one-shot as a joke one time for me to put it on my site... it was twelve years ago, so I don't think I have it anymore, but it was cute.

This reminds me that Randy owes me a BSB one-shot! Dammit LOL.

I'm trying to get my non-BSB fanfic friends into BSB fanfic with limited success. It's an ongoing project lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

myconfession

« Reply #289 on: July 11, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »

Funny story.... one night at work, I updated one of my stories on MC and one of my best friends, who worked with me in sports (who knows pretty much every secret of mine), found MC open on the computer. I left it open by mistake and he started reading.

His remark: "It was really good until Nick started to take off his pants and then I stopped."

LMFAO!

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #290 on: July 11, 2012, 12:39:43 PM »

Karah... Wait, he said it was good up UNTIL Nick took off his pants? *shakeshead* Boys just don't get it.  :D ;)

As for who knows I write FF... ugh. Well I kinda half-admit to it. I wanted to include writing on my resume somehow, so I put on there that I had won an award on a "writing community" online, and that I had friends who beta-read stories I was working on. When my professor asked to read one of the stories... I kind of balked. I gave her a couple chapters of Something Beautiful, and I told her, "heres' the thing. I'm still working on characters, and to write the storyline for the rough draft, I used the Backstreet Boys" - which is partially true as I'm working rewriting/revising SB for a novel, but y'know. So she read the exerpt I'd given her and she really liked it.

But that's the closest I've come to telling anyone about my BSB fiction - at least the serious stuff. I've told my sisters about the Llama story and a few of the funny one-shots, but never that I write dramatic things. LOL I think they'd think I was freaking insane if they knew I made up stories about my favorite band coming down with horrible dieases and going through traumatic experiences and stuff.
:penguin: PENGi :penguin:

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #291 on: July 11, 2012, 12:52:44 PM »

I have a question... Has anyone ever written a story - or thought about writing a story - where one of the Boys is actually the "bad guy"?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #292 on: July 11, 2012, 01:00:30 PM »

I wrote a one-shot about Howie being an undercover assasin. He gets this assignment to kill Nick but end up killing Kevin in the process as well LOL.

I also had planned out this really dark story where Nick snaps from all the Lauren hate and goes around murdering fans. The guys would obviously know about all the BSB fans dying so it would have been about Nick being so messed up in the head that either he's not realizing he's doing this or the guys start to catch onto him as they try to solve the mystery. I dunno I didn't have it all ironed out and I never got around to actually writing it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #293 on: July 11, 2012, 01:25:05 PM »

I have a question... Has anyone ever written a story - or thought about writing a story - where one of the Boys is actually the "bad guy"?

Howie is the main villain in 00Carter, but that's more of a spoof kind of story.  There's also the round robin Revenge of the Slaughtered, in which Nick goes around murdering fans - but again, not a serious story.  I don't think I've ever written a serious story where a Backstreet Boy is a villain.  It's difficult to turn them into true villains without taking them way out of character.  Not saying it can't be done, though!
~Julie

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #294 on: July 11, 2012, 01:29:38 PM »

When I asked the question, I was thinking about writing a story that I've written an outline for a couple different ways and one of the ways actually makes Nick out to be the bad guy. LOL That's why I was asking.  ;)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #295 on: July 11, 2012, 01:34:39 PM »

YAY!  And this can serve as our question of the day today! :)

The only time i've ever written a boy as a 'bad' guy was Howie in the 5 BSB's story and that was just to have a little fun with him being annoyed he never really had the leads. I don't think I would do this mainly because of the dicsussion we had before about out of character things. I have seen summaries where one of the boys is a rapist or murderer or something and I just am not interested to see them in those roles. Not to say there's anything wrong with someone's creativity taking them in that way, just doesn't interest me to want to read or write about it, unless they were framed or something.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:36:39 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Pengi

• Minion of Mayhem
  • spread the llamalove
    • Tweet Me
« Reply #296 on: July 11, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »

lol Not quite THAT bad. I just mean we have a lot of 3-way Love Triangles on AC with original characters playing the exboyfriend that's jealous of a BSB (I'm thinking of Hunter-Olivia-Nick in the Coaster Series actually as I say this), but what about ones where the Backstreet Boy was actually the one people were rooting AGAINST? It's not really a "bad guy" role, but you know. Not the romantic hero role that everyone is used to seeing them in.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #297 on: July 11, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »

Oh, I definitely would never read or write one of those. I think I'd probably read one of the guys as a murderer before I read a love triangle story lol but I'm Wednesday Addams so...
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #298 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:16 PM »

You'd definitely have an easier time making a BSB a villain in a love triangle type story, although personally, I think the best love triangles are the ones where there isn't a clear "bad guy," but where alll the points on the triangle are sympathetic characters.  Like in The Notebook... sure, I think everyone rooted for Allie to go back to Noah, but I didn't hate James Marsden's character; he seemed like a good guy.  And in Pearl Harbor, who didn't like Josh Hartnett's character?  Choosing between Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck back in 2001 would have been a hard choice! LOL
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #299 on: July 11, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »

You'd definitely have an easier time making a BSB a villain in a love triangle type story, although personally, I think the best love triangles are the ones where there isn't a clear "bad guy," but where alll the points on the triangle are sympathetic characters.  Like in The Notebook... sure, I think everyone rooted for Allie to go back to Noah, but I didn't hate James Marsden's character; he seemed like a good guy.  And in Pearl Harbor, who didn't like Josh Hartnett's character?  Choosing between Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck back in 2001 would have been a hard choice! LOL

Yes, that would've been a hard choice!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 27