Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78340 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »

I love your idea of the one shot awards & best short story is a very valid category.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »

Thanks! They have been fun so far, got a good group of girls working on them with me. There should be BSB ones! Cause we don't have enough BSB awards right now, lol.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »

A one shot awards would be fun. Someone (else) should do that lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 06:44:19 PM »

Or you know, like those ATB awards that combined BOTH judging and voted awards. In the same categories. I'm not trying to start drama, but the topic of fanfic awards always reminds me of that mess. First of all, we each had to judge a category. Then, the top 5 stories out of the judging got put to a poll. A poll! So what was the point in judging even? I have no idea what my score was (because I nominated my own story because that's what everyone was doing and it was like you wouldn't get a nomination if you didn't do that) and then my story got last place in the poll because they left the poll unlocked so everyone could see the results (I don't think that was intentional) but was my story actually bad? I have no idea!

Oh and then the awards never got handed out and the site disappeared. Fail.

How important would it be for you to win an award?
Not gonna lie, I've always wanted to win one. Obviously I would keep writing, but it'd be nice to win. But I know that I don't write/update a lot so that's cool.

What award would you most like to win & which story of yours do you feel deserves an award.
That's a hard question, I don't even know. There are a couple of one-shots I've written that I'd like to see get recognized. I don't know that any of my chaptered fic would win anything but I guess the category I'd like to take one day is either best drama/angst or best short story (I don't think that's even a real category though.)

That sounds really backwards!  Like I said in my response, I like awards that use a combination of voting and judging, but it would make more sense to put all the nominees in a poll FIRST and then have someone only judge the top five, assuming that decent stories are going to get enough votes to rank in the top five.  The kind of combination I like best is just awarding two winners for each category, one judged and one Reader's Choice.

Have you never won a fanfic award??  That surprises me, Steph!  You're such a good writer; you're plenty deserving of winning one!  I ran an awards for a season or two back in the day called The Undiscovered Gem Awards just for stories that had never won an award to recognize talented authors who were flying under the radar for whatever reason.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 06:51:12 PM »

I know right? I was so surprised to learn she hadn't won one yet.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

Aw, thanks guys. I just go through phases of being active and inactive! Maybe one day the plethora of 1D contests I enter will get me an award haha.

And yes those ATB awards were a mess. I think you're right Julie - it would have been a lot better if they'd done the poll first and then the judging.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 06:58:42 PM »

Back when awards sites were everywhere I started to work out what I felt like were the fair ones versus not so much and I quickly decided the ones where you can nominate yourself & vote however many times you want were pretty much made only for those people who just want to say they got an award lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 07:00:16 PM »

Back when awards sites were everywhere I started to work out what I felt like were the fair ones versus not so much and I quickly decided the ones where you can nominate yourself & vote however many times you want were pretty much made only for those people who just want to say they got an award lol

Definitely!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2012, 07:02:54 PM »

I never got the point of nominating yourself and voting like crazy. Totally defeats the purpose LOL.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »

Until Felix and the recent awards sites I had NEVER been nominated by someone else so if I wanted to have my story read I would nominate myself.  It wasn't so much to get the award (cause I would never win) but it was more of a promotion thing, to get my name and my stories out to an audience.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »

Awards....well I've only won one and gotten runner up for another at Felix last year, which I was pleasantly surprised about. This was the first time I'd been a part of any fanfic awards or even nominated, so it really meant a lot to me. Never once expected to win.

As for the judging part, I like how people can vote for who they want and not vote for themselves or nominate themselves, to me it keeps everything fair.

I would love to win more but I'm satisfied with just being nominated. I'm nominated in two different awards right now, still don't expect to win any, I'm up against a lot of talented people, but it would be awesome if I did.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 07:19:20 PM »

Until Felix and the recent awards sites I had NEVER been nominated by someone else so if I wanted to have my story read I would nominate myself.  It wasn't so much to get the award (cause I would never win) but it was more of a promotion thing, to get my name and my stories out to an audience.

I remember the days when that was the thing to do.  And it makes sense, to an extent - I'm pretty sure film producers submit their own movies to be considered for the Oscars.  But I like the idea of having to be nominated by a reader who thinks your story is worthy better.  It makes the nomination a lot more meaningful, and then you can honestly say, "It's an honor just to be nominated!"  Not true if you just nominated yourself LOL.
~Julie

myconfession

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »

Ah, Steph this is what you're talking about LOL

I like awards... I used to be skeptical of them back in 1999-2003... I won a good bit of them. I wished I remember what they were. There used to be SO many awards back then, that you kind of took them for granted almost, and now, not so many.

Like the only real awards in BSB are the Felix Awards.... that's still going strong. That's why when Steph started the 1D awards, I decided to come up with the Trash awards for romance because of the joke we had that I wrote Nick trash.

I think out of any, I would like to win Best Author or some sort of similar award. I was kind of shocked when I was a runner up on the Felix Awards this past time. I wasn't expecting it because I'm not as prolific over here as I am at my own site. That made me feel good and made me felt like people really were glad that I was back writing in the fandom.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »

Yeah I remember there were so many awards sites out there and then just one day they disappeared. I do also remember that the majority did let people nominate themselves in fact I'm pretty sure some if them ONLY let you nominate yourself just in case there were people who didn't want to be nominated. I can understand that but the vote a ton of times for your own story I don't get the point lol

I do think it means more when you know someone liked your story enough to take the time to find the link & chapter or specific scene or whatever the case to give you credit for your writing. That's a pretty awesome feeling.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 08:01:06 PM »

after my awards site went *poof* I turned it into a review site where it was required that the author submit their story for review... it didn't happen once and that was a mess until I cleared it up.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35