Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47458 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »

I hope it never dies out, but if it did, I'm sure I would still write something.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 02:27:54 PM »

I'd stop & really focus on my original fics.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »

If it died out I would focus more on my original works ... though I might have to write the rough draft them as the characters or at least their names. LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 06:14:37 PM »

How similar are you to your online persona? Is fanfic author you any different from real life you?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 06:17:37 PM »

I still need to catch up on old questions but in response to the latest one...

Fanfic me is real me. I'm random and a little hyper with a morbid sense or humor LOL. I'm the same person online as I am offline, I never tried to be anyone else.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 06:51:00 PM »

I'm pretty much the same online as offline. I think in real life I'm probably a bit louder than I am online.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »

If the fanfic scene for BSB died out for whatever reason, would you stop writing, would you move to another fandom or would you move to original fiction?

I guess if I thought no one was reading my fanfics (or anyone's BSB fics) anymore and I was writing/posting them for no reason, I'd move on to original fiction.  I don't see myself writing in another fandom.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »

How similar are you to your online persona? Is fanfic author you any different from real life you?

Good question.  It's weird, but I feel like the internet is one of the only places where I can truly "be myself."  So I would say that my online persona is the real me, whereas I show different sides of myself in different situations in real life.  Around my family and closest friends, I'm more or less the same person I am online.  But I only show certain parts of that personality to other people, like my students, some of my co-workers, my god-fearing friends, etc.  I don't go around trumpeting my love of the Backstreet Boys and zombies and severed body parts to just anyone because I don't need everyone to know what a weirdo I am. :P  But here I can say it loud and proud and not worry (or care) about being judged for it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »

I think online me is the same as me offline, I don't know because I've never noticed a difference. I think I'm a bit more outgoing and chatty on twitter and stuff though. Otherwise personality is the same.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

Personality wise I am the same online as I am in person.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2012, 04:25:38 AM »

If the fanfic scene for BSB died out for whatever reason, would you stop writing, would you move to another fandom or would you move to original fiction?

Finally, a question I can answer. :) if that happens, which I hope not, I'd have more time to concentrate writing original fiction. Even before I started writing fan fics, I already dreamed of being published. I can't see myself writing fan fictions for another fandom.

Pretty much the same.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

shark_carter

• Fledgling
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »

Does no one have a question of the day? I'll ask one!

Since I write in a million fandoms I'd probably just go work on more stuff in 1D fandom and pick up writing Avatar: The Last Airbender stuff again.

I guess I can kind of answer this speaking from experience. BSB did die out for me for years and even when they came back the fanfic didn't. I just stopped writing fanfic. I did write some original poetry for a while but I didn't even really write any stories!
Twitter: @shark_carter

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2012, 01:39:15 PM »

I'm the same person online as in real life, but I'm quieter in reality.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:18 PM »

How do you feel about the cliches in romance? Are they too well known to get around them, or do you feel a lot of authors rely on them to tell the same story but with different people?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2012, 05:46:11 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean by cliches in romance - do you mean like kissing at sunset and stuff like that?

I can say that I've definitely written a lot of romance stories and none of them are completely alike. I've even gone so far as to have written two different stories with basically the same premise - a love triangle that unfolds while being on tour and even both of those stories are pretty different. I think what should make the romance story stand out and unique is the characters. The way that I approach romance stories (and any story, really, but I'll stick with romance since that's what you asked about) is the fact that it's obviously about two characters falling in or out of love. And in real life how/why does that happen? Because people learn about each other and all of their little personality quirks.

So take the two stories I wrote for example. They're both really close to the same - one of them is a BSB fic and one of them is a 1D fic. They both take place on tour and the characters are the same age in both of them 18-19. But I think they're pretty different based on the fact that all six main characters involved have their own personality traits. The end result is the same - some couple gets together and the odd man out is pissed off and there's drama within the boyband, but how the characters work it out amongst themselves is completely different. Their reasoning and motivations are completely different, even if there are scenes in both of them that look identical on the surface, they're really not.

In both scenes between Brian/Nick or Harry/Niall where they're arguing because one of them stole the other ones girlfriend, what the reader takes away from the scene is basically the same - things are out in the open, the boys are upset and they're fighting now, making it awkward. But again, in both of those scenes all four characters are different, so they come into the scene acting differently, and they leave it feeling differently. So the scenes afterwards and beforehand are probably going to go down separate paths.

I guess I would say the way I get around cliches is just by trying my best to create those well rounded characters and have all the characters in a story be different than the one that came before it. It can be challenging, especially when you're writing about the same group of guys all the time (or in my case, pretty much just focusing on Nick LOL) but that's where you have to try and make the female lead very different, and maybe try to put a different twist on Nick's personality.

I can't speak for other authors, but that's how I get around the fact that there are a lot of similarities in romance fiction. There's a lot of it out there, but if you create a well rounded character, chances are no one else will have created one who is 100% the same.

I don't know if that answered your question or not haha.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19