Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47776 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2012, 03:55:35 PM »

I still don't remember the one I had originally planned on asking but here's a different one:

Do you enjopy writing challenge stories? If you do what has been your favorite challenge to compete in so far and do you have any ideas for upcoming challenges?

If you don't enjoy writing them, why not? What's wrong with you? Are you like a total doofus or something? lmao ;)

Do you read other people's challenge stories? And how do you feel yours compares to the others you have read? If you've read these stories have you left reviews for them?

I love the challenges and have taken part in quite a few.  I think my favourite one to write was The Man With Two Brains as I was laughing as I wrote it.

I always read the challenge stories too, it's interesting to see someone else's take on the challenge.  I always leave a review for the stories I read.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »

I'm going to go with Song For The Undead.  I clicked on it because I liked the summary, it looked really interesting.  I would usually read this kind of thing, but at the time it was first posted, we didn't know it was going to be about zombies as the banner and the story name was something different.  I thought it was going to be something like Survivors (A BBC show about a flu epidemic which wiped out most of the world), but it was so much more!

Thanks, Steph!  We wanted to keep the zombie thing a secret in the beginning because we didn't want that to turn anyone off to it.  Mind you, this was before The Walking Dead and the recent resurgence of zombie stuff!  I watched Survivors on On Demand sometime early in the writing of Undead - even without zombies, it was great inspiration!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »

Do you enjopy writing challenge stories? If you do what has been your favorite challenge to compete in so far and do you have any ideas for upcoming challenges?

If you don't enjoy writing them, why not? What's wrong with you? Are you like a total doofus or something? lmao ;)

Do you read other people's challenge stories? And how do you feel yours compares to the others you have read? If you've read these stories have you left reviews for them?

I'm not a big fan of challenges that seem really random, the kind that are like, "Write a comedic mystery about Howie that contains the following things:  1) a missing article of clothing, 2) a platypus, and 3) someone shouting "Cheesedoodles!"  Must be under 3000 words."  I'm just like, "...Why?"  I don't like to write stories that don't have a point, nor do I like to write stories that I'm not emotionally invested in.  If the challenge doesn't inspire an idea that I really care about taking the time to write, I don't do it.

That said, I do enjoy the challenges that really take me out of my comfort zone.  Two of my favorites have been the April Fool's challenges - the 2008 one where we had to write a story that was something we'd never write and post it under an alter ego, and this year's challenge where we had to pick one of the ridiculous premises to turn into a serious story.  I really got into the killer monkeys from outer space idea! LOL  I felt like those challenges got me to write outside the box, rather than to force my writing into the dimensions of the box built by the challenge-issuer.

Another one I enjoyed was the August 2008 one where we got to issue personal challenges to each other.  Rose challenged me to write a gory horror story (which, at the time, was a genre I hadn't really written), and I had a ton of fun writing it and living up to my avatar! LOL  I would love to do that kind of personal challenge again.

I don't read all of the challenge stories, but I read some.  I review the ones I read.  Usually if I write a challenge story, I will read the others for that challenge.  If the challenge doesn't interest me, I'm less likely to read the submissions, although sometimes I will read them if they're by my favorite authors or if they just sound interesting.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2012, 06:30:04 PM »

Another thought about challenges - I am more likely to participate in challenges when I'm either between projects or blocked/uninspired and in need of an excuse to not update my current projects.  I did more challenges in 2008 than in any other year because that was the lull between finishing BMS and starting Undead.  Since then, I've always had at least one novel I'd rather spend my writing time working on.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2012, 06:47:48 PM »

I am a total challenge whore, I admit it lol. That's where like 90% of my one-shots have come from. I do them here and I do them on 1DFF and I just like...love them lol. I think there's something really fun about getting a basic idea and having to form it into a story. And actually, the only two stories I won/got runner up awards for were challenge entries.

Answering that question of which was my favourite is tough! Every time I think I've decided I remember some other challenge and then change my mind lol. But I think it's a tie between the one where we had to write about the boys on the bed, and the April Fool's one where we all wrote those ridiculous stories. Those were so fun and the entries were all so entertaining! I usually do try to read all of the other challenge entries, and if I do I leave a review. I like to see other people's takes on the same basic idea. I don't really compare them though, cause it's not really like it's a competition or anything.

Although on 1DFF the challenges are actually competitions, but I don't read the other entries because you basically can write anything. Everyone's are so radically different. You basically get assigned a song and a boy and go to town. They're not as fun as the ones we do here.

Anyway long story short, I have this addiction to challenges.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »

I'm not a big fan of challenges where you have to include random things like words and phrases etc... either. I usually don't participate or issue those types of challenges.

My favorite one was also the personal challenge story one when I wrote The Colors Of My World Suck aftr I was challenged to write a romance where the female lead does not die lol

Maybe we'll do this challenge again at some point this year. As you can tell i'm not really going nuts issuing challenges once a month like I used to because we don't really get all that much participation but once every other month or so we'll try.

I always read the challenges I issue and leave reviews for them. When I don't issue them I tend to skip challenge stories unless the summary sounds really interesting.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2012, 07:45:45 PM »

Thanks, Steph!  We wanted to keep the zombie thing a secret in the beginning because we didn't want that to turn anyone off to it.  Mind you, this was before The Walking Dead and the recent resurgence of zombie stuff!  I watched Survivors on On Demand sometime early in the writing of Undead - even without zombies, it was great inspiration!

Thanks Steph! And yeah, we were Walking Dead before Walking Dead was cool LMAO. :P. It was that and those "World Without People" specials. I loved watching those on the History channel because they were that helpful in describing the world after.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »

I like doing challenges now and then. I love one-shots cause they're great when I'm stuck on something. I think my favorite ones to write were the April Fools one with my talking grapes LMAO, and the "Back To Me" one where we had to do suspense without gore. I think that was one of my freakier ones cause I implied it but left it up to the reader just what Howie did with that chainsaw.

I'll read some, but I do need it to interest me just like anything else. I'm picky, I'm sorry LOL.

I'd like to do the one where we challenge each other again. I failed with the one aimed at me (it was slash okay? LOL). But I loved seeing what people did with the ones I gave them. I got Kelly to write in 2nd person (which is NOT easy), Mare to write a female lead that doesn't die lol, and got Julie into what is now her current gore-fest lmao. I'm so used to you writing gore now Julie I forgot you didn't do it much then!

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2012, 08:15:39 PM »

I got Julie into what is now her current gore-fest lmao. I'm so used to you writing gore now Julie I forgot you didn't do it much then!

LOL You created a monster!  A lovable, awesome monster, of course - like Godzilla.  Rawr!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »

LOL You created a monster!  A lovable, awesome monster, of course - like Godzilla.  Rawr!

Or an adorable zombie baby! :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2012, 09:19:36 PM »

I love doing challenges. I pretty much try to do each one, and I read everyone elses, plus I always review.

Honestly I have way too much fun reviewing stories I've read lol. I review every chapter.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »

Or an adorable zombie baby! :)

What about a zombie Godzilla?

http://www.spinserpent.com/2012/04/zombie-godzilla.html

It shouldn't even surprise me anymore that I can Google zombie anything and find results.  Zombie Godzilla is pretty epic, though, so of course it exists!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »

What about a zombie Godzilla?

http://www.spinserpent.com/2012/04/zombie-godzilla.html

It shouldn't even surprise me anymore that I can Google zombie anything and find results.  Zombie Godzilla is pretty epic, though, so of course it exists!

I shouldn't be surprised you found that but I kinda am LMAO.

Zombie Godzilla is amazing! Totally ZDRATW.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2012, 05:14:22 PM »

I've really liked a lot of the challenge ideas but I fail at coming up with something for a one shot.  I definitely am not a one shot writer and I have a hard time coming up with ideas that I can write out clearly in a word limit.   I keep telling myself that the point of the challenge is to uh duh, challenge yourself by doing something you don't typically, but the plots I think of tend to get turned into some complicated AU/sci-fi/suspense fest.  :( 

I challenge fail!
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2012, 05:23:57 AM »

It's been kind of dead here! I miss everyone :(

Anyways, what is the one story you have written that you're most proud of?

What is the fastest amount of time you've taken writing a story? The longest?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19