Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47742 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »

Before I joined here, the only fanfics I'd read were romance. So when I first joined here, it was amazing to see so many different types of story.

My taste has always been the same though.  I like anything if the story is good.  From romance to gore, lol.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »

Yeah same here, I will pretty much read anything these days. I love angst or a good drama or suspense. There's so much variety on AC which I love very much.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2012, 07:30:27 PM »

My favorite fanfic genre has always been drama/angst with a hint of romance or suspense, and that has never changed.  Those are still the storylines I'm drawn to the most.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2012, 09:23:12 AM »

When you find glaring errors in someone's story, do you let the author know? What about if someone brings a mistake to your attention, would that bother you?

What would you do if you found a huge mistake in your story which could potentially change the entire thing? Would you ignore it & hope nobody notices or would you go ahead and change everything?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »

I only let people know about errors in their stories if they've asked or if I'm sure they'd want to know.  I don't say anything if I think it might annoy them or hurt their feelings.

If someone brings a mistake my attention, I fix it right away - it would bother me if I didn't.  You all know what a stickler I am, both for conventions and accuracy.

As for your last question... if I hadn't posted the story yet, I would definitely change it.  If the story was in-progress, I would try to change it if I could, but if it meant rewriting parts that were already posted, I probably wouldn't.  If it were in a story that's already finished and online, I wouldn't go back and change it.  I'd just try to learn from it so it wouldn't happen in a future story.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #155 on: September 29, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »

My favorite fanfic genre to read hasn't much changed and that's drama/action, suspense non romance, non AU. All revolving around Nick and the guys and their relationship to each other. That's why this new story on AC called Brothers sucked me in! It's got all of that. Even though it's not an action/suspense, the drama and relationship build up reminds me of stories back in the days.

I will read an AU from time to time as long as the guys are brothers and really the same personalities.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

That's what I'm doing with Finding Carter, I like to keep them themselves
while it is an AU. As for the brothers thing I can't give anything away but if people read they will see :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2012, 03:33:53 PM »

When you find glaring errors in someone's story, do you let the author know? What about if someone brings a mistake to your attention, would that bother you?

What would you do if you found a huge mistake in your story which could potentially change the entire thing? Would you ignore it & hope nobody notices or would you go ahead and change everything?

No, I'd only let them know if they asked for it because people can get offended.  If someone brought one of my mistakes to my attention, I would probably be OK with it and depending on whether the story was complete or not I would amend it.

I've got a major inconsistency in one of my stories, but as it's been complete for about 3 years, I'm not going to go back and alter it as it would mean re-writing and I don't see the point.  If someone questioned why something was wrong, well...I'd just says something like "whoops, I messed up" lol.  Hopefully I've learned from past mistakes.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2012, 09:26:42 PM »

That's what I'm doing with Finding Carter, I like to keep them themselves
while it is an AU. As for the brothers thing I can't give anything away but if people read they will see :)

That's good you are keeping them, them. One of the things I don't enjoy with AU is when people alter their personalities so much you can't even tell it's the guys or mess around with their ages like make them all the same age or make one who is younger actually older. All that stuff really bugs me for some reason. I like to read my boys as authentically them. I don't mind so much if like Kevin is the oldest but a lot older than the others or a year older or something like that but I hate reading things when suddenly Kevin is twelve years younger than Nick and Brian is AJ's long lost twin after twenty chapters of them just being friends. lmao

I guess that is a good opening for a new question, what are some of your biggest AU pet peeves? I'm sure we could do this with any genre so feel free to do this with any genre lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2012, 09:58:27 PM »

Obviously mine are what I mentioned above. The guys out of character & the whole age thing. lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #160 on: September 29, 2012, 10:23:16 PM »

I'm with you on the AU thing, Mare.  I don't even like when they're brothers instead of friends.  When I write AU, I write the Boys as if they are the same people, but made different life choices - instead of being part of a boyband, they did something else.  So I like to read AUs that write them the same way.  It's different if you're writing "original fiction" with characters that may be based on the Boys, but if you're labeling it fanfic, I think you should keep them as true to life as possible.

My pet peeves are mostly related to grammar, spelling, punctuation, and English conventions in general.  There are plenty of stories out there that are probably well-written and just aren't something I'm interested in, but the ones that are not even as well-written as the stories my 9-year-old students write annoy me... mostly because they make us teachers look bad. LOL  Why won't you apply what your teachers tried to teach you???
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2012, 04:23:54 AM »

Yeah that bugs me in AU as well...out of character boys. I write tons of AU myself, but I really try my best to keep their personalities intact, while making them a bit different.

As for Mare's question about pointing out mistakes...I have had people tell me about stuff that I've either been inconsistent with, or mistakes I've made. I usually go back and fix it if it is a minor error.

I'd much rather be told privately why someone stopped reading or lost interest privately than in a review. I like honesty if it will help me be a better writer.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2012, 07:43:34 AM »

Yeah, I can understand about the not brothers thing too. I just have a thing for brothers, obviously lmao

For my mistakes question, I probably wouldn't mention a huge mistake unless it was very early on in the story and I knew the person who was writing it well enough to let them know and not worry about offending them.

If someone were to bring up a mistake to me, like most of you have said, it really depends on the status of the story. If it was something I was writing and they found in the latest chapter, I would be more prone to fix it then if it was caught after the story was done.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2012, 07:45:03 AM »

Would you consider youself an emotional writer? Do you tend to let what people say affect how you write? Do you have to be in a certain frame of mind to write a chapter?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2012, 08:22:12 AM »

I really shouldn't but sometimes I used to let things bother me. It would bother me initially but eventually I would get over it and keep writing. It doesn't happen so much anymore thank goodness.

For writing chapters, I have to have food in my stomach and be well rested in order to write. Being in a good frame of mind helps a lot.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19