Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47879 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2012, 09:50:17 AM »

I don't really let what people say in reviews affect what I write. I tend to just write what I want and let the story go how I want. I will take reader thoughts into consideration if I'm just talking about the story and brainstorming with friends on twitter or Yahoo, but as far as in a review where people share their predictions and what they want to happen? I very rarely take those suggestions because by the time of posting, I've already decided on where I want the story to end up.

It does tend to bother me when I see people making fun of writing. That is the kind of thing that will bother me a lot and put a damper on my writing mojo. Whether it's about my own stuff or not, it just really, really irks me.

To be able to write I have to know where I'm going with the chapter. I find I can't write if I just have half an idea, I need to know exactly what's going to happen. I also need to have tea or Starbucks or some sort of caffeinated beverage.

I don't usually point out huge mistakes to people in reviews unless they have specifically asked me for a critique review. But otherwise I just say what I enjoyed about the chapter. I also tend to gloss over mistakes because I have such a terrible memory for media, that if there was a gaping plot hole I likely wouldn't notice. This is also another reason why I personally need to outline things before even starting to write.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2012, 02:05:51 PM »

The only thing that affects my writing is how tired I am. If i'm exhausted I just can't write at all. My moods usually don't factor into things although I do write faster when I'm happy.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2012, 02:27:55 PM »

AU peeves, hmm, I like the boys to still come across kind of true to who they are, although if the story is good, then I don't really mind.

To be able to write, I just need my brain to co-operate, lol.  Oh, and I need it to be quiet or I'll get distracted if the TV/music is on :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2012, 02:31:43 PM »

Jumping in randomly...the only thing that affects my writing is usually how hectic my life gets. If things tend to be too much, it does kill my writing mojo. Emotionally or Physically, it just depends on how much things get to me.

Though right now...I'm just slacking majorly LOL.

As for AUs, yeah they need to be true to who they are in some form. I try my best to do that in the AUs I write as well.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2012, 02:35:26 PM »

I'm also slacking at the moment, I have no excuse either! Nothing dramatic going on in my life, just plodding on as always, but yet I seem to have lost my mojo :(  Think I need to re-read some of my story to get back into it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »

AU peeves, hmm, I like the boys to still come across kind of true to who they are, although if the story is good, then I don't really mind.

To be able to write, I just need my brain to co-operate, lol.  Oh, and I need it to be quiet or I'll get distracted if the TV/music is on :)

I need for it to be really quiet as well! I need that for reading too.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2012, 03:46:05 PM »

I try not to let what people say affect my writing or motivation to write.  I won't say it hasn't happened before, but I can't remember the last time it did.  For the most part, I write for my own enjoyment, and as long as I'm happy with my writing, I'm satisfied.  I know the kind of stuff I write doesn't appeal to everyone, and that's okay.  I also know there's an audience out there that does like what I write, and that's a nice perk.

Generally, the things that keep me from writing or wanting to write are the same things others have mentioned - lack of time, lack of energy, being hungry, not feeling well, stress or too much on my mind, etc.  I write best when I am well-rested and have a whole day of no commitments or responsibiliti es ahead of me, and unfortunately, that hasn't happened even on weekends lately.  Well, except for today, but because this is the first day all week I've had to just lounge around and not do anything, I want to do just that - nothing LOL.  Not even writing.  Sometimes writing just takes too much brain power LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2012, 07:11:39 PM »

If I am sick, tired or having a lot of things going on I lose my motivation to write. Reviews don't really affect anything, I don't let the readers influence how a story plays out but it is fun to see their guesses or reactions to things I've written.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2012, 09:50:54 AM »

AUs would bother me if the boys ages were really off or if one of them was the child of another one of them.  *shakes head*    I know in CP Nick is older than the typical distance in age between Nick and Kevin IRL but that's because of the whole time travel thing, otherwise I try to keep them relatively the same age difference as they are IRL.  I attempt to stick as close as I can to their personalities though I know I've made some boo boos.

I've pointed out minor flaws in stories in a review but if I found something glaring I'd probably private message, e-mail or DM them on twitter to let them know what I saw.  BUT I'm oblivious, Tracy pointed out a flaw in hers that others notied and I didn't notice so sometimes you just get wrapped up and the details kind of slip by. :)

When I get a lot of reviews or if I'm chatty with people I tend to write faster.  Right now I have no idea why I'm not writing.  I've been more in a reading mood so that could be part of it. 

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2012, 07:24:24 AM »

I got this from a twitter convo I saw from yesterday lol

Do you tend to post a new story right away or do you wait until you have a few chapters to post? What makes you decide to write a new story? Do you base it on what people like to read or what you feel like writing and then does it bother you if you don't get the feedback or attention after you post it?

As a reader, do you tend to get excited if one of your favorite authors says they are going to post a new story despite the fact that you don't know what it's going to be about? If after they post it, you see it's not something you'd like to read, do you find yourself still clicking and reading just because they are one of your favorite authors and you added to the "yes can't wait to read so please post it soon!!" bugging lol

I know that's a lot of questions but I have learned to post while they are in my head!

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2012, 09:49:25 AM »

I wait until I have a few chapters until I post. The last two stories I have posted I have waited until they were completely finished, and I just edit chapters before I post them. I basically just write what I want and whatever idea won't leave me alone until I get it out. I think most of what I write is probably not very appealing, so sometimes it bothers me that I don't get feedback. But honestly I do just keep writing and hope that one day my writing will improve and that my stuff will appeal more! (Talking less about AC and more about 1DFF cause I post there more than here as of late)

I usually get excited when my favourite authors post what their story is going to be about, and if it interests me then I'll read it. Like when Tracy first started talking about writing a story about Nick going to college. The premise interested me, so I was excited for her to start posting it. I don't think there's anyone on this site whose entire catalog I have read. The only people I get blindly excited for any new idea is my two 1D friends, and that's because I read literally everything they write because I know their stuff is going to be quality and I'm too lazy to sort through most recent on that site to find anything else that might appeal to me more.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2012, 11:09:10 AM »

I start a new story either when I finish an old one and am ready for a new project or when I get an idea that won't get out of my head and demands to be written.  I sometimes start stories on the side and work on them in secret until I run out of steam and then go back to the projects that are posted.  I only post the ones that I've been working on daily for awhile without running out of steam, because that seems like a good sign I'll be able to keep writing them consistently.  Sometimes that works (Curtain Call) and sometimes after my initial success, another story or real life gets in the way and totally derails me (Guilty Roads and the Harry Potter crossover).  Lesson learned, I guess - I need to follow the SakaSteph rule of finishing things first and then posting them.

I only write what I want to write, not necessarily what I think people are going to want to read.  I know there will always be an audience for what I write because there are other people who like the same things I do, but that audience may be bigger or smaller depending on the genre, the main Boy, and whether or not it's AU.  It would probably bother me if I didn't get ANY feedback, but as long as I know SOMEONE out there besides me is enjoying it, I'm satisfied.

As far as favorite authors, I do get excited when I see they are writing a new story, but that doesn't mean it's a guarantee I'll read it.  I don't think there's any one author in fanfic whose ENTIRE collection of work I've read, unless they only have one story LOL.  So even with my favorite authors, there's no guarantee I'll want to read every story they write, and I think they understand that.  My readers are the same way.  I'll always give something new a try if it piques my curiosity or if it's by an author whose work I've enjoyed in the past, but if it doesn't hook me, I don't feel any obligation to keep reading it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2012, 11:14:18 AM »

I will come and answer this question when I'm feeling better, today's not really a good day right now.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2012, 08:05:37 AM »

I would usually wait until I have at least five chapters written of a story before I posted it, unless they are one shots. My ideas usually come to me in the form of dreams but I tend to ignore it the first time I have the idea. It's only if the idea won't go away to the point where I get the itch to write that the story will actually start coming into place. Like Julie said, there are stories out there for everyone to read so I usually knew going in to any given story, what kind of reader it would appeal to. I think I know my regular readers enough to know "Oh, this person is going to love this one!" and "This person isn't going to read this one!" lol But it is always fun to see some new readers and I think that happens everytime a new story is posted.

As far as being a reader, it depends on what the story is about for me, not necessarily who writes it. I do have my favorite authors where I know when I do commit to their stories, I usually enjoy them but that doesn't mean i'm going to read everything they write. I do get excited FOR them if they get inspired to write on a new one but it doesn't mean i'm on board to read it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2012, 08:07:17 AM »

Do you find yourself more picky as a reader now then you were before? Or do you find yourself more willing to try new things? How have your tastes changed over the years? Or have they pretty much stayed the same?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 19