Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 47953 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »

Secrets of the Heart was very cathartic for me in the beginning.   I started writing it one weekend when I was really stressed over work and desperately needed an escape.  Writing is an outlet for me, but like I said, I usually can't do it when I'm upset about something.  That weekend, I was able to push it all to the back of my mind and just write.  I churned out the first couple chapters of that story almost effortlessly and got so into it, I was able to forget all the crap on my mind.  It was amazing.  And then real life got in the way again and it took me four years to finish the thing LOL.

I don't usually write stories that are based directly on my own personal experiences, mostly because my life hasn't been interesting or tragic enough to make good fan fiction (not the kind I like to write, anyway), but every once in awhile, art imitates life and life imitates art.  Curtain Call wasn't intended to be personal at all, but it became that way when a friend of mine was diagnosed with terminal cancer as I was writing that story.  She died the day after I posted the ending.  I wasn't sure whether that would help or hurt it, and in the end, I think it was a little of both.  It did make it easier for me to relate to my characters and have some idea of what they were going through, and I think it also gave me a way to work through my own emotions and sort of prepare myself for what was inevitably coming.  I became kind of stoic and detached while writing the story, especially toward the end, while I was very emotional in real life.  It was definitely cathartic.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:31:20 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 04:17:33 AM »

I usually write stuff to escape my dull life, lol, so most of what I write doesn't contain anything from my real life.  The only story of mine which has come close to my real life is a Take That story called Patience.  I had the main character fall in love with Jason in France.  While that obviously wasn't true (I wish!) I did go there on holiday, and I also wrote about people/places I know well.

I'd say Rewind was quite cathartic for me.  I do sometimes wonder what life would be like if I'd made different decisions.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 04:37:27 AM »

Well not so much writing but reading can be cathartic for me. I've told Rose several times but Remember Me This Way touched me a lot. I had a grandmother with Alzheimer's disease, not early onset like Nick had, but I went through what Brian went through....see ing him deteriorate like that. It was definitely theraputic for me to read about it and it did kind of give me closure. The scene that really got to me was at the end when Nick didn't know who Brian was or even his own voice on the radio....that really made me emotional.

Bringing me to my question related to Julie's - is there anything you've read that has helped you deal with real life experiences?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

That's a good question.  I can't really think of any examples off-hand, mostly because, to be honest, I haven't dealt with anything in my real life that's been nearly as tragic and over-the-top as the stuff I like to read in stories.  I guess what I was talking about in my last post is the closest.  But I do think reading really dramatic stuff helps me put things into perspective and remember how good I've got it most of the time.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 09:43:45 PM »

Generally when I read fan fiction, it doesn't tend to get to me that often but there were certain scenes in Curtain Call while I was reading it this summer that just brought back memories of my friend Jean and her battle with cancer as well as so many other people I have lost to that horrible disease.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

Aww. :(  I'm the same way, though; I can't look at Curtain Call without thinking of Lisa because the two became so entwined in my mind.

I tend to associate stories with whatever was going on in my real life when I was reading/writing them, though.  Does anyone else do that?  Like I associate Broken and BMS with being in college and good times.  I have a string of older, shorter stories that I remember writing the summer I spent sleeping in the basement after my dad got hurt in a car accident and had to sleep in my bed because he couldn't sleep in my parents' waterbed.   When I think of Something Beautiful, I think of that amazing fanfic summer of 2010, when a lot of people came out of the woodwork and started writing these great stories that I wanted to read.  When I think of your older stories, Mare, like Fly Fishing and It Stays, I think of the old days of discussing fanfics on the Yahoo Group, way before this forum.  I can almost always remember where I was when I read a story for the first time or wrote a scene in one of my own.
~Julie

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 02:58:40 PM »

I've noticed on the most recent page all the others are new or not so well known. I'm like wow everyone is on hiatus. Ugh...my muse has gone and taken my brain with him. I can't write anything if my life depended on it and it sucks!!

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 03:15:28 PM »

I've been updating At The Beginning, but I'm barely making it on that story with my muse. I can only push him so much lately with how much I'm working. I'm back to my 70 hour work weeks again.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 03:29:26 PM »

Erika, you aren't the only one who has suffered with their brain vanishing, mine has too :( I opened a word doc earlier and just stared at the page, then ended up on You Tube trying to see if someone had uploaded that BSB interview from earlier.  I really should disconnect the internet and turn off the TV and try again.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »

^ has anyone uploaded the performance and interview from The Talk yet? lol

And Julie, I am not really like that when it comes to stories, but more like songs. I can pretty much match great songs with things I was doing when I first heard them. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »

I might try writing today. The Talk did spark some bromance inspiration.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »

I'm like that with songs too, Mare.  I can usually remember how old I was and what was going on in my life when I went through a phase with a certain song.

Yay, Rose!
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 09:23:14 AM »

I am determined to get a chapter written today ... well a chapter of SI and maybe some of my other story idea. lol
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Howies Girl

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »

Hey guys long time no write lol, i have been super inspired this past week, though not sure if i made one of my stories worse, i might have to change it back lol. but i have made a good inspiration song playlist playing on my Xbox right now lol.  Question I have, What happens when you feel an original  writing is better then the re-write? I try to go back and make it as close as possible to the original but what do the rest of you do?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 11:44:13 AM »

Hey guys long time no write lol, i have been super inspired this past week, though not sure if i made one of my stories worse, i might have to change it back lol. but i have made a good inspiration song playlist playing on my Xbox right now lol.  Question I have, What happens when you feel an original  writing is better then the re-write? I try to go back and make it as close as possible to the original but what do the rest of you do?

I never re-write anything once I've posted it.

If I'm just working on something before posting and change it, but then don't like it...well, I just have to work on it until I'm happy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19