Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48328 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »

I don't rewrite either.  I tried once with Code Blue, and while the new parts were better than the old, it ended up just being a huge hassle, and I'll never do it again.  Even rewriting a fanfic as an original novel has proven a lot harder than I thought it would be.  I guess it's because lightning never strikes twice - even if you're technically a better writer when you try to rewrite, it's hard to recreate the same magic that was there the first time you wrote something.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Howies Girl

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »

That's the problem I am having with one of my stories luckily I only changed the prologue and the first chapter so I think I can write it again it might not come out the same, but I think I can make it work if I look at the chapters I already have.

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »

Wow the questions died out...well I think I have one.

What's the longest you've taken to finish a story? Why? When you suddenly come up with a chapter for an old stories what inspires that?

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »

I think the longest has been 3-4 years.  I had kind of stopped doing much of anything in the fanfic world for about that time, then I got a random review for one of my unfinished stories and it sort of kindled my fire to write that story and finish it.  then I wrote a sequel for it because I was really inspired.   
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »

I think it's the story I'm writing now!  I just don't feel like writing anything at the moment :(

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2012, 04:10:42 PM »

Definitely Scars Run Deep and Wide. Towards the end of that one, I hit a major roadblock which made me stop working on it for well over a year. I went back to it because I refused to leave anything incomplete and I had a few people who would ask for updates on it. Generally that's what gets me in gear when I had in progress stories going but sometimes fell behind on updates. When people would ask me to update it would serve as motivation.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »

Thanks for posting a new question, Erika!  I've been wanting to see this thread updated again, but couldn't think of anything to ask.

The longest I've worked on a story from start to finish is 46 months, or almost 4 years.  By My Side and Secrets of the Heart actually both took 46 months to finish - the difference is that I worked on BMS consistently and it just ended up being 200+ chapters long, whereas Secrets is only 25 chapters long but was written very sporadically until this past summer.

When Rose and I finish Song for the Undead, that will be my new record, because we've been working on that story for over 4 years already.  I have stories that have been in progress for even longer, but they are not likely to ever be finished LOL.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

As for the second question, it usually takes feedback and/or begging from readers to get me to update a story that hasn't been updated in a long time.  Sometimes I will pressure myself into doing it, and once in a blue moon, I will truly get inspired to write on an old project, but usually it's peer pressure LOL.  With collaborations, though, I find that talking to my co-writers and brainstorming is what re-inspires me.
~Julie

BSBShania

• Innocent Bystander
  • Just Dancing
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »

Swollen issues part 2&3, If tomorrow never comes,Memories and prevailing fate
 Idk y but I like angst/drama docs.
Shania

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »

That's the problem I am having with one of my stories luckily I only changed the prologue and the first chapter so I think I can write it again it might not come out the same, but I think I can make it work if I look at the chapters I already have.

Hmm I'd say people asking for updates usually gets me motivated, as well as encouragement from readers. Just finally figured out how to post on the forum from my new phone, that's why I've been quiet writing and forum wise.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2012, 08:36:54 PM »

Totally did not mean to quote....still working out kinks lol!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »

Thanks for posting a new question, Erika!  I've been wanting to see this thread updated again, but couldn't think of anything to ask.

The longest I've worked on a story from start to finish is 46 months, or almost 4 years.  By My Side and Secrets of the Heart actually both took 46 months to finish - the difference is that I worked on BMS consistently and it just ended up being 200+ chapters long, whereas Secrets is only 25 chapters long but was written very sporadically until this past summer.

When Rose and I finish Song for the Undead, that will be my new record, because we've been working on that story for over 4 years already.  I have stories that have been in progress for even longer, but they are not likely to ever be finished LOL.

Yeah my longest is gonna be SFTU lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2012, 12:58:10 AM »

Rose and Julie you guys have four years working on SFTUD?!? Wow. I feel liike you guys just started it. Thats crazy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2012, 06:35:34 AM »

I know!  We started writing it in August 2008, although we didn't start posting it until February 2009.
~Julie

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »

oooh I guess I've been working on 00Carter for longer than 2-3 years LOL but since that is episodes and there are lots of episode ideas I kind of just forgot that it's been over 6 years for that one ... cause we started that before my lil man was born and he's 5.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19