Fic Talk > I Challenge You....

Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!

<< < (10/44) > >>

mare:
Just posted the final survey for those of you that have finished up one of your stories. Don't forget guys, you have three surveys to fill out for each story although one you really have no control over until the person who is reading YOUR story, finishes it.

:)

mare:
Here it is but it's also on the first post!

Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story:

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?

7) Were you happy with the ending?

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)

9) What was this stories biggest strength?

10) What was it's biggest weakness?

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?

14) Did the author respond to your feedback?

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?

emilo:

Name of story:

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? 
Getting past the grammatical stuff (and honestly, it wasn't all that bad...just weird for Mare, and I'm a little bit of a grammar Nazi), and being able to delve deeper into the content.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?
I did look forward to it.  Like I said before, it wasn't as fast-paced as some of my favorites, but I still wanted to know what was going to happen.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?
The next to last chapter with Nick as narrator.  It's a really beautiful scene.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end?
Actually, I think I'll change my mind here-- thanks to the aforementioned chapter, I think I'm going to go with Nick now.

Hmm...maybe Brian?  For the story, it was good characterizati on, but he had the worst attitude out of all of them, so he wasn't all that likeable in this particular story.

Yes.  Although, I might say that even if it wasn't intentional, "Why I'd Do it All Again" might be considered a sequel of sorts to this story.

7) Were you happy with the ending?
Yes.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one)
I don't think there were any big surprises, really.

The characterizati on of the "brothers."  Mare does that beautifully.

10) What was it's biggest weakness?
Just some grammar stuff.

Yes.  I've read a few of Mare's but not many.  The challenge itself actually has me really intrigued by "To Protect and Serve."  I've read the reader's response to that one and I think I'd really enjoy it.  When I first discovered Mare's writing, I was very anti-AU, but now I'm seeing that some writers can do it very well, so I will probably revisit that one for sure.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?
I think this was a good story pick for me.  Plus, it was fun that Mare and I happened to be reading each other's stories, so we had a fun dialogue going on.  I thought it was fun to pick out favorite parts of each chapter to comment on, and once I noticed the "metaphor" theme, I had fun looking for that and other literary devices, although Mare claims they were unintentional. It was fun to look back and see how Mare has grown as a writer.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better?
I've never done the pairings, as this was my first reading challenge.  Like I said in the previous question, I liked that Mare and I were reading each other's work and had a good dialogue going on.  That being said, I can see how it would be a big let-down if your partner doesn't hold up to her/his end of the deal, so without really knowing, I'd probably pick this format, because everyone gets to choose their own story to read, so may be more inclined to read and give good feedback.

Yes.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? I had a great time!  Sorry you have to much reading left to do one mine, but I'm looking forward to the rest of your feedback :)

Carter-Orange:

Name of story: To Protect and Serve

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story? Before I started reading, I did wonder whether I'd like a story containing child torture/murder.  I usually stay away from stuff like that.  But once I began reading, it was no challenge at all as I loved it :)

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework? I looked forward to each chapter.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story? There are so many to pick from, but I'll go with chapter 37.

Yes, it was Kevin all the way through the story.

The baby killer, and that one is self-explanatory lol

Yes, there is a sequel and I'm definitely going to be reading it.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes, because Mare gave two endings to it, so if you wanted the happy ending you could have it, but you could also read on and have the real ending if you chose to.

There were a few surprises.  One being that Kevin's dad wasn't really dead, but had been in witness protection for the past eight years.  Another was that a couple of the detectives were in on the crimes too, that was quite a shocker.

The plot and just the way Mare writes it.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I don't think it had a weakness

Yes.  I've already read a few by Mare and had already planned on working my way through her other stuff.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one? Great story from start to finish.  Packed full of action and suspense, kind of like watching it on screen.  The kind of feedback I gave was my reaction to the events happening in the story.  I'm glad I picked this story as it turned out to be my kind of thing!

I don't mind either way.

Yes, Mare did respond to every bit of feedback.

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author? Great story!

mare:
Thanks to you both! I really enjoyed both of your comments on my stories. It's been a long time since I've gotten feedback only because it's been over a year since I've written anything, minus the short Nick birthday story. It's nice to know I've grown as a writer even from seeing the difference in the comments from PS which I wrote later on as opposed to Long Road which was one of my first. I feel like the more I have written, the easier it has become. I guess practice helps lol

And Emily, I'll be getting back to your story on Wednesday!

Thanks again! You've both made this an enjoyable and insightful experience for me! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version