Fic Talk > I Challenge You....

Let the 2013 Summer Reading Challenge begin!

<< < (17/44) > >>

kevmylove:
Hola!

So sorry I'm so late. I started reading Falling In Love Again by  emily_michele  yesterday and I'm on chapter 4. I'll start reading Switch by CarterKid right now!!! Woohoo!!

kevmylove:
Name of story: Switch by CarterKid

1) Are you finding it easy to follow plot wise? A little

2) So far who is your favorite character and why? I've gotta say that the story is moving a little too fast and I get confused with who is who, that no character really holds my interest.

3) Are you getting a sense of how it will end and if so, any guesses? (Sometimes authors get a kick out of seeing what a reader thinks will happen and how predictable they may or may not be) I really have no clue.

4) Do you feel like the summary the author gave accurately describes the story you are reading? Would there be anything you would include or omit? I think it works for the story.

5) Has there been any big surprises/plot twists or just overall observations? None

These are the harder questions, but don't be afraid to answer them. Remember we all signed on to this knowing and expecting to get and give constructive criticism.

6) If this wasn't a challenge story and you didn't have to continue reading, would you have stopped already? If so please explain why. I really don't like these kind of questions, because I'm not a pro writer myself, but I must say that yes I would have. One reason is that the story is moving a long a little too fast for me and it doesn't have enough description to hold my interest. Another reason is the tenses tend to change a lot confusing me.

7) Has there been any glaring errors that have stuck out? (I'm not talking about the occasional missed period, typo or spelling/grammar errors but huge mistakes that need to be pointed out that the author might not be aware of)  Just the tenses...and maybe some grammar errors.

8) Do you have any questions for the author in regard to the storyline, characters or plot? Hmmm I'lll have to come back to this one!

mare:
Yay! Glad to see you finally starting, Erika! :)

And I know some of those questions are tough to answer on the halfway there and final survey but because it's a challenge story, I felt like we needed to include some of those real constructive criticism type questions. None of us are perfect and there's always room for improvement so with that in mind, answering those questions should help us all out.

You guys are doing a great job! Keep it up!

emilo:
Final survey (To be completed after finishing the story you are reading)

Name of story: Story of My Life by Carter-Orange

1) What was the biggest challenge for you when reading this story?  I was expecting a little more plot-wise, but I understand this was a challenge story, and it met the challenge perfectly.  So, I guess getting past that was the hardest part for me.

2) Did you find yourself looking forward to reading as you were going along or did it feel like homework?I looked forward to reading because the writing was good.

3) What was your favorite scene/chapter in the story?I liked the scene in chapter 3 where Nick's dealing with a difficult call and Kevin steps in.  Lots of good, convincing dialogue in that scene.

4) Was your favorite character at the halfway point still your favorite at the end? Yes.

5) Who was your least favorite character and why?  
Maybe Howie?  I just felt like we didn't get to know him as well as the other guys.

6) If there was a sequel to this story would you be interested in reading it?
Maybe so!  I'd be interested to see these characters try to get out of some difficult situation-- something a little more plot-driven than the day-to-day life of the characters.

7) Were you happy with the ending? Yes.  I thought she tied the story up really well.

8) Name the biggest surprise in the story and did you see it coming? (If there was one) No big surprises, really.

9) What was this stories biggest strength?  Good writing.  She was able to take something as mundane as an office job and make me care about the characters and what went on during their day.

10) What was it's biggest weakness? I just wish there had been a bigger story than just the day-to-day work life, but like I said before, it fit the challenge perfectly, so there's nothing wrong with that.  

11) Did reading this story make you want to try another one from this author?  Yes.  I've read very little of her work, and she's a solid writer, so I bet I could find a story that has all the traits of a great one in her work.

12) Give us one final review that sums up your experience reading this, maybe explain why you gave the kind of feedback you did or if you would have perhaps picked a different story from this one?  I think I was expecting a little more office shenanigans and humor than I actually got.  I kept comparing it to "Office Space" in my head, and while this story was really well-written and pretty entertaining, I would have liked to see something a little more over-the-top.  However, had I looked more into the story before choosing it, I would have realized sooner that this was a challenge story about what we do in our day-to-day lives.  Like I said, it met the challenge perfectly, and the writing was good.  It just wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

13) Did you prefer the way we did the challenge this year or did you like the pairings better? This is my first challenge, so  I can't really compare the two, but I did like this format.

14) Did the author respond to your feedback? Yes

15) Any final thoughts or questions for the author?  I enjoyed your writing, and you can expect that I may try reading more of your work!

Carter-Orange:
I'm really glad you enjoyed the story Emily, maybe I could've done more with it, but oh well, it's done now lol.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version