Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 123640 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 04:11:22 PM »

If there was one story you wish you could go back and totally redo which one would it be or are you happy with everything you've written so far?

I wouldn't say I'm happy with everything I've written, because some of them are a bit cringeworthy! But I don't think I'd go back and re-write them.  Maybe I'd re-do Ten Things, or just edit it a bit as there are some errors in that one, but I probably won't because once it's posted, it's posted :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

Oh another question. In the wake of all these remakes of movies, for instance, I heard they are remaking Highlander, is there a fanfic you would be interested in remaking if the author gave you permission?

Just adding on here: Or is there a fanfic you have written that you would like to see someone remake?

I don't think I'd like to take on the responsibility of someone else's story, I'd be worried about ruining it, lol.  Also, I wouldn't like the idea of someone taking over mine...unless I was never going to look at fanfics ever again, but I can't see that happening!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 04:19:16 PM »

Have you ever written something way out of your comfort zone and did it change the way you write in general?

Is there anyone you would like to see write something other than what they are usually known for?

I once wrote a slash one shot story as a challenge on the Take That site.  It made me feel uncomfortable writing it, and that was just writing about them kissing!

As for the second part, I'm not sure, I don't really like to suggest what others should do.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Oh, and can I just add that I'd like a fanfic approving husband too, or a boyfriend, I'm not too fussy :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »

Have you ever written something way out of your comfort zone and did it change the way you write in general?

Is there anyone you would like to see write something other than what they are usually known for?

The first time I wrote a sex scene, I was way out of my comfort zone.  I had written a joke sex scene before to spoof visuals in Not Another Teenybopper Fanfic, but with that I was just trying to be gross, not romantic and steamy.  The first real one I wrote was for By My Side, which was funny because I remember saying at some point that I would never write a sex scene in that story because of the whole amputee thing - it just felt too fetishy or something.  And then I ended up writing like three of them LOL.  I guess like sex itself, it was kind of awkward the first time, but by the third one, I was going, "Damn, this is good!" LOL.  I still don't write sex scenes very often because I don't write a lot of romance, but I don't shy away from writing them when the story calls for them.

00Carter has also taken me out of my comfort zone with just about every part I've written for it.  I was not an action, science fiction, or even much of a comedy writer before 00Carter, but oddly enough, some of my best-written scenes have been for that story.  It's broadened my horizons to the point where I'm willing to try just about any genre.

Mare, I would love to see what you would do with romance.  Along the same lines, I would love to see any of our resident romance writers write a horror or suspense story.  I can't really name names for that one, though, because most of the regulars that come to mind when I think romance have also written in other genres.  We are a well-rounded bunch of writers on this forum! :)
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »

I love the fact that so many of us are so well rounded. I think most of us who have been at this for a while anyway, have tried at least a handful of genres. After reading some of her story, I would love to see Emily try her hand at suspense or action/adventure.

We got Kelly to write a suspense lol

As far as me and romance go, it would be a challenge to try to keep my female alive or not evil for an entire story lol

« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 05:40:48 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »

I forgot to answer the comfort zone question. I think for me, Whatever The Night took me out of my comfort zone because I had really never written sci fi before and of course I have never killed any of the boys. Knowing that was going to happen was a challenge for me throughout.

Writing a sex scene would take me way out of my comfort zone. The only one I ever wrote was a disaster lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »

Kelly was one of the ones who came to mind when I was thinking of romance writers, but she branched out and wrote a lot of other stuff.  What I liked about her romances was that they all had some interesting quirk or subplot that made them "not just a romance story."  That's a component I usually need to get into a romance.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:28 PM »

I'm more apt to get into a romance if it's told from the boy's POV rather than the girls. I think that's kind of rare so if I were to ever write one, I'd do it that way. I think any good story (at least the ones I would consider good) usually have more than one plot going on in it to keep things interesting. I think that's why as a reader, I'm usually drawn to the action/suspense genres because of the fast pace and subplots.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 06:07:36 PM »

I'll be the first to admit I'm lucky with the fanfic-supporting husband.  It's still a little weird sometimes, though.  "What are you doing, Em?"  ....."Oh, just dancing with Kevin Richardson."  LOL... we've never had such a conversation, but that's what it feels like sometimes...ha ha!  At this point in time, my writing's certainly not about inserting myself into a fantasy, unless it's Forever, and it's my teenaged-self imagined much older.

I, too, would like to see Mare dabble in romance.  It was my first thought when I saw that question!  You could always maim her at the end and call it romance/angst!  I've wondered whether I could handle something other than the "romance" genre.  Currently working on a humor story, and while chapter one flowed perfectly, I struggled with chapter two!  I fear that I'm not creative enough to come up with something that's both original and well-written...

I agree with the sex scenes being uncomfortable, although I've written a few (two really, and otherwise just eluding to the fact that it happened, because I'm uncomfortable  ;).  I think they can add to a story depending on plot and where it's going, so I do it, but yeah.... I'm not comfortable with the "visual" writing as they call it.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »

Figured You Out was definitely out of my comfort zone, I was really hesitant to try and write a full suspense after spending so much time writing AU romance. It worked out well, much more so than.I had expected it to. Since then I have tried writing in just about every genre but slash...that is one I have.no intentions.in doing any time soon.

Finding Carter was another story taking me out of my comfort zone because it was the first story I wrote in the first person POV, and the first I actually did research for. I spent a lot of time researching for that story.

usako

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:39 AM »

Do your friends/ family know that you write BSB fan fiction? If so what do they think? Are they supportive? Or not? Do you divulge much information about your stories and this fanfic life?

Only my best friends know about my BSB writing and they're the best support team I could ask for. Aside them, my family don't know and I doubt that they would understand. Especially the slash part.  :D

I think writing slash, especially the first time, was way out of my comfort zone.  :D But, yes, I think it changed my writing only because it made me fall in love with writing and plotting all over again. Especially when I started writing "Love Story": it was a challenge, mostly because of the type of story (only 500 words for chapter) and it was my first AU so I didn't know how good I was with something totally new.

usako

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 01:54:09 AM »

If there was one story you wish you could go back and totally redo which one would it be or are you happy with everything you've written so far?

My very first story. It's just... well... so bad, I wrote it in like a week and only because I was worried that my inspiration would just disappear. It's very superficial and very different from the writer I've become. So, yes, I really want to redo it.
Actually,I think my case is slightly different because, when I'm translating a story, it's a sort of rewriting.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 09:52:22 PM »

People who use banners, I have a question for you.

Do you use a generic girl on them or a famous person and if you do use a famous person aren't you afraid that people will just think the story is about that boy and that famous person?

Why do you think it's important to attach an image of the female lead instead of just letting your own description speak for itself?

I don't mean to sound snarky, I am legitimately curious about this because whenever I see a famous person in a banner I think the story is about that person only to find out later it is supposed to be someone else entirely.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:09 PM »

Back before the days of Google, I used to physically flip through magazines in search of pictures of girls (models in ads or pictorials, not celebrities) to use as inspiration for the looks of my female characters.   Nowadays, I still try to use unknown models or lesser-known celebrities in banners so that people don't look at them and automatically think, "That's Paris Hilton."  (I know no BSB fan would actually use Paris Hilton in a banner, so that seemed like a safe choice so as not to offend anyone LOL.)  I want the opposite to happen.  I want them to later see said lesser-known celeb in a movie or something and go, "Hey, that's Claire!" instead of "Hey, that's Ron Howard's daughter!" LOL.

I don't always use pictures of girls in banners, but if the story is predominantly about the relationship between a boy and a girl, it just makes sense to include both of them in the banner.  It's not about attaching an image vs. letting readers imagine what she looks like; it's just about creating a banner that represents the story and looks pretty.  I think the tendency for fanfic writers to use photos in their banners at all stems from the fact that we ARE writing about celebrities, so it makes sense to use real pictures of the Boys.

I will say, though, the trend with both banners and book covers seems to be moving towards simpler banners with images that are more symbolic than literal, and I like that.  I hate to use it as an example, but the Twilight saga is a good one, as is the Fifty Shades trilogy.  Scrolling through the Most Recent page just now, the banner for this story caught my eye: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11103  It's simple, but effective:  It's visually striking, eye-catching, and thought-provoking.  Who does that hand belong to?  If I wanted to read about the Boys' fictional kids being involved in a school shooting, I would click to find out.
~Julie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 50