Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90251 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2013, 02:12:27 PM »

I question myself as a writer the most when I start comparing myself to other writers.  When someone posts a really great idea or a scene/story that's written in a creative way, I think, "Why couldn't I come up with something like that?  Why can't I write like that?"  Or "Why can't I finish this damn story?" 

I feel like this too! When I find myself gradually going down the road to funky town, one of the symptoms is comparing myself to everyone else.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

I question myself as a writer a lot.  I know we all have different styles so I try not to compare myself but when read a good plot I wonder why I couldn't come up with that.  I know it was constructive and to help me grow but last years reader challenge really made me question myself as a writer.  Doesn't help that my own mother does not think I have the writing chops and always gloats about how good my younger brother is. .. my friend Amanda helps me a lot when I feel down and reminds me that I write because I like to tell stories and will always improve the more I practice.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »

Aww... at least, as Steph said, it's kind of comforting to know we've all felt the same way at some point or another.

It varies a lot from day to day for me.  At times like this when I'm not working and don't have a lot else going on in my life, I find my overall mood is so dependent on how my writing is going.  If it's going well, it keeps me in a great mood.  If it's not, I get bummed out about it!  Today has been a good writing day so far, but I think it's the first one I've had all week.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

We may have had a question like this before, but just to give us all a boost...

What's the best plot you've come up with, one that's so good you can't even believe you came up with it yourself?  We've all got them - time to get past the insecurities and brag a little about what we do best!
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 03:01:07 PM »

My friend Ali has supported my writing since high school and reads my stuff, even helps research. I love having that kind of support from friends.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 03:03:15 PM »

We may have had a question like this before, but just to give us all a boost...

What's the best plot you've come up with, one that's so good you can't even believe you came up with it yourself?  We've all got them - time to get past the insecurities and brag a little about what we do best!

Figured You Out will always be the answer to this for me. Still floored by the attention I got for it. I loved.that story, it's my baby :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 03:04:36 PM »

I question myself as a writer a lot.  I know we all have different styles so I try not to compare myself but when read a good plot I wonder why I couldn't come up with that.  I know it was constructive and to help me grow but last years reader challenge really made me question myself as a writer.  Doesn't help that my own mother does not think I have the writing chops and always gloats about how good my younger brother is. .. my friend Amanda helps me a lot when I feel down and reminds me that I write because I like to tell stories and will always improve the more I practice.

Aww, I think that's normal too, especially the challenge part of it. I know I feel the same way when it comes to awards.

It all comes down to encouragement. We all need that positive reinforcement to keep going especially when it's lacking outside of the fandom. When all you get is negativity, it makes it harder to be fun and if it's not fun then why bother?  
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »

I'd have to say that Amnesia and Severed Identities are the plots I am most proud of.  
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2013, 03:50:43 PM »

What is your longest one?
Ten Things which is 49 chapters.

What is your shortest one?
Story Of My Life which is 6 chapters.

Going along with that, is your longest one the one with the most reviews? And your shortest the one with the least?
Yes, Ten Things has the most reviews but Story Of My Life doesn't have the least, that honour goes to another one lol.

Which of your novels has the highest average read count per chapter?  Is this also your most read novel?  Most reviewed?
Ten Things has the highest read count per chapter (which is something I've only just discovered you can check on), it's also my most reviewed and most read.  I had no idea it was my most read!

How about the lowest average?  Is this your least read novel?  Least reviewed?
Lowest average is for Maybe Tomorrow, but Games is the least read one and the least reviewed is Forces of Nature.

Are there any stories where you notice a significant drop in read count from the beginning chapters to the end?  Why do you think that is?
Yes, this has happened mainly on Maybe Tomorrow and Unwinding Truth.  It's probably because of lack of updates and maybe the stories just aren't what people want to read.

Do any individual chapters stand out as having an unusually high or low read count compared to the rest of the chapters in that story?  Why do you think that is?
No, not really.

What is your most and least read one-shot?
Most read is It Wasn't Me which I think was an April Fool's challenge a few years ago when I first joined here.
Least read is Strange & Beautiful which is a Jason Orange/Howard Donald from Take That slash one shot.

Were you surprised by any of these stats?
A bit!  I didn't expect Ten Things to be my most read, but then again, it is the longest story I've done.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:40 PM »

Do you ever question yourself and your abilities as a writer? What are some of the reasons why you think that happens?

All the time. Sometimes I wonder about myself, is it good, is it worth posting...

I think it's because we're always putting ourselves out there. In a sense it's a little exposing. So of course you end up feeling vulnerable.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »

Do you ever question yourself and your abilities as a writer? What are some of the reasons why you think that happens?

All the time!  I lack confidence in the real world and online.  I often wonder whether my stories are good enough to share, but it doesn't stop me posting them.  I know I'll never be as good a writer as a lot of people on here, but I do like to try.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

If it helps, I have read something every one of you has written, and I think you are all good writers!  I wouldn't say that if it wasn't true.
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »

Awww.

I love everyone in here too. :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:33 PM »

Related question to that, have you ever given authors their own personalities without even getting to know them but just based solely on their writing? Once you got to know them, were you surprised about the difference or did they act kind of how you expected in the first place? LOL

Hmm, I don't think I connect a person's writing to their personality, I think through reviews and chatting on here I've got to know everyone.  

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2013, 04:14:46 PM »

I'm glad that you don't say things that you don't mean, I had that happen, I asked for someone's Genuine opinion on a story one time, they praised me and then when we stopped being friends I heard my work called shitty. f someone doesn't want to read,  I would rather them be honest than fake about it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 36