Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90276 times)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #495 on: September 09, 2013, 07:15:11 AM »

I kind of ran into that with my FILA sequel, and ended up basically scrapping the original sequel for the new idea, with just a couple elements of the original sequel thrown in. I was able to do that easily because I hadnt started posting anything yet. The way you worded this question makes me think maybe that's not the case for you. Is there any way to maybe make your new idea some kind of big plot twist? It may be confusing to readers if they've already started reading one sequel, then there's a completely different new one. I think it's really hard to keep writing on something you're just not feeling any more, so I totally understand where you're coming from!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #496 on: September 09, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »

Hi ladies!

So I have a question...it's kinda weird and I'm not sure I'm going to ask it the right way. Here it goes...

If you were writing a sequal, but you didn't see it going anywhere and you suddenly had a new idea for it. Would you delete it and go with the new idea or would  you just leave it alone?

I think it depends on like Emily said, if you have already begun posting it or not. If you haven't, then I think changing the direction you were going is fine, but if you have already posted, I think it might be confusing for people reading if you suddenly change what's happening. Unless it's so early on in the story that the primary plot points haven't happened yet.

This is why I'm against the idea of sequels in general unless when you are writing the original you foresee a multiple story arc. I think this tends to happen to a lot of people.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #497 on: September 10, 2013, 05:36:17 PM »

After seeing what Nijintje posted in the AC confessional, about Nick not being her favorite but her story being about him, I thought this was be a good question.

Do you think people would be able to tell who your favorite BSB is just based on your fanfic writing? Are people ever surprised when you tell them who your favorite BSB is? What about if there is one you aren't particularly fond of? Do you think your writing shows it or do you think you can mask your personal feelings about the guys well enough so people can't tell one way or another?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #498 on: September 10, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »

My nickname is still giving you trouble,  Mare? ;)

As far as answering the question, no, I don't think people can guess who's my favorite.  That is, unless you have read "Memories" (please don't,  it sucks big time, I just don't have the heart to delete the thing).

Most of my stories have Nick as the main character. I think that is because he's just easy to torture ;)
When I started writing, I often chose him, because to most people he is/was the cutest/hottest, so I got more reviews (which helped me improve my writing). Nowadays,  I choose him, because to me, he's still the most complex, naive,  clumsy one AND the one without the whole complication called "a family". Although I could leave the wives and kids out, for some strange reason it doesn't seem fair. Did I mention I am a bit crazy sometimes?

Since Nick is somewhat my least favorite (although I usually don't categorize them as such anymore), I hope I am doing a nice job at hiding that fact.

Edit; I forgot to answer one of your questions!
Back in the day when it was really important to have a favorite,  people were always surprised to find out that for me,  it was and still is Kevin. Nowadays,  I rarely discuss my fandom with people who aren't fans themselves. My colleagues were surprised though,  seeing as my ex-boyfriend looked a lot more like Nick LOL.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:02:20 PM by Nijntje »
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #499 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

Yes it is! I want to just call you Bob! Can I call you Bob? lol

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #500 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »

LOL, you and only you can call me Bob ;)
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2013, 07:21:15 PM »

Excellent! I could call you winky! ;) LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #502 on: September 10, 2013, 08:44:14 PM »

If it weren't for my screen name, people who were judging me only by the stories I've written in the last ten years would probably assume Nick is my favorite, since he is the one I've written about the most.  I probably have more Brian stories than Nick overall, but most of them were written circa 2000-2002, and then I started reading and writing more about Nick.  Brian will always be my favorite, but Nick is right up there too nowadays.

Truthfully, I love all five of the guys almost equally nowadays, even though I still don't write a lot about Kevin or Howie.  I don't dislike them; I just don't find them as interesting to write about.  AJ I will write about occasionally, but I prefer him in a supporting role or paired with one of the other guys.  He tends to play off the other guys well.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #503 on: September 10, 2013, 08:58:08 PM »

I often imagine my stories as though they were films and I think that casting a fic is just like casting a movie. In my mind, Nick is a leading man. He's got the flexibility to take on different types of roles, he has so many different sides to him that he's a believable character in a variety of scenarios. Brian is the same way in that aspect. So I don't know that it would make a difference if Nick was my favourite or not, when it came to my writing.

There are some actors who will spend their entire careers in supporting roles, whether major or minor, and I think (for me) the other three fit into those roles better. AJ will always be my comedic sidekick, Howie is usually my surprise antagonist, and Kevin normally has a cameo role.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #504 on: September 11, 2013, 10:06:47 AM »

I'm late answering, but yes, I had a female character called Rowena in one of my stories and she was absolutely hated by Ritz lol.  Although I don't mind because it was the name she hated and not my story :)

Just the name, Steph. But I like how you wrote her character-wise. lol
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

Alexsgirl_ritz

• Major Disruption
« Reply #505 on: September 11, 2013, 10:20:39 AM »

I only have 3 posted fanfics and two of them are about Nick. But I am an AJ girl forever. I actually hated Nick way back in high school just because everyone loves him. It was so hard to find someone who can understand why I like AJ and not Nick. lol

But as Julilly said Nick is a leading man material. He can be flexible and fit most roles. He is easy to write, too. He could be a mean guy or a perfect gentleman and it would be easy to the readers to believe either of the two. I believe AJ is the perfect supportive best friend to the lead.
A world without Alex is a wasted space.

usako

« Reply #506 on: September 11, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »

After seeing what Nijintje posted in the AC confessional, about Nick not being her favorite but her story being about him, I thought this was be a good question.

Do you think people would be able to tell who your favorite BSB is just based on your fanfic writing? Are people ever surprised when you tell them who your favorite BSB is? What about if there is one you aren't particularly fond of? Do you think your writing shows it or do you think you can mask your personal feelings about the guys well enough so people can't tell one way or another?

I think it's very easy to find out who is my favorite BSB just on my stories, since I've always written Brian's stories. As Julilly said, he's very flexibile: he can be the clown, the friendly guy but he can be serious and quite scaring when he has his pissed off gaze. What I love most about writing him is the fact the he hides a lot from us fans (just think about his voice's issues: no matter what, he still smiling and act like nothing is wrong) so there is a lot you can write about him. And it's so easy to torture. LOL

Though he isn't my favorite, I've found myself quite enjoing writing Nick. I guess it had to do with the fact that I started writing him paired up with Brian so, as a supportive character, I had to make sure that he was up with Brian so to have two strong lead characters. But people are always surprised when I tell them that no, I'm not a Nick fan. LOL

The other three... sadly Howie is always forgotten. Poor Howard. Aj is always the supportive friend, the one Brian/Nick goes to ask for advice. Kevin is on the same level, though he's always the overprotective cousin. LOL I'm sorry, Howie. I really like you. I just don't like writing you. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #507 on: September 11, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

That's an interesting way of putting it, Julilly, but I agree with you.  I go about developing my story ideas much the same way - I get the idea first, then "cast" it with the Backstreet Boy that will fit it best.  Often times that is Nick because, as many of you have pointed out, he is very flexible and can be molded to fit almost any role.  I will be curious to see if that changes once he's married, especially if he and Lauren decide to have kids.  I think the "baggage" is partly what moved me away from writing about Brian all the time; I just got tired of finding ways to write Leighanne and Baylee out of the story.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #508 on: September 11, 2013, 08:20:33 PM »

I think of my stories as TV shows when I write them and I try to not have a lead and just count on it being an ensemble piece. I find the only person I struggle with when it comes to highlighting them is AJ. All the others can hold their own, but when it comes to him for some reason, I just feel like he needs to be a supporting character. Even in any chapter I write with him as the lead, it really ends up being about whoever he's with at the time. LOL Sorry, AJ.

I'm not sure what it is about him, maybe because I can't seem to relate to him at all? All the others there's at least one facet of their personality that I say "okay, I get that!" But with him I'm always like "Hrmm you're a weird one!" I really do love him though, it's not that I dislike him at all, it's just that he's Eh? lol

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #509 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:11 PM »

I find AJ is very guarded. Even though we all know a lot about him it's very superficial. All we really get from AJ is what's on the surface, it's really tough to tell what kind of person he really is.

Because he's the weird one. Obviously. lol
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36