Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90858 times)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #420 on: August 14, 2013, 02:22:44 PM »

I don't tend to review until I'm committed.  Now, that being said, I will sometimes go ahead and review after a first chapter because I can already tell I'm going to really like following the story.  If said story starts to go in a direction that's not really my cup of tea, I'll stick with  it for a few more chapters anyway.  Occasionally, I'll be pleasantly surprised and end up finishing anyway.  Now, I've admitted before that I'm really bad about leaving reviews.  I'm doing better, because I really think reviews help me to stay motivated as a writer, but if the writer isn't responding to my reviews, I end up making them fewer and farther between-- or maybe stop all together.  I think the dialogue with the writer is part of what makes leaving reviews fun.

As far as the question about what to do when you stop reading, I think it depends on how well you know the writer.  If it's someone that you're somewhat comfortable with because you've had an ongoing dialogue, I think it's perfectly fine to say, "I'm not reading any more because, ________. "  Of course, if the reason is, oh, the writing sucks, I think that may be better left unsaid.  This is one of the reasons I tend to be a little inconsistent with leaving reviews on the stories I'm not 100% committed to finishing.  I'd hate to be leaving reviews for every chapter then just all of a sudden stop with no explanation at all.  As a writer, that kind of thing hurts, even if it's not personal.

usako

« Reply #421 on: August 14, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »

I don't think I ever whined on Twitter. I just feel bad when I tweet that I made an update because I don't want people to read it only because I put a link and they clicked not knowing what it was. I'm weird, I know. LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »

I'm way behind, so you'll probably see a lot of posts from me!

When you decide to use song lyrics, quotes or anything else as a header for a chapter, do you tend to pick that first and then write the chapter around it or after the chapter is written do you go in search of the best lyrics, quotes etc... that would best fit what you just wrote?

I don't think I've ever used lyrics or quotes as a header for a chapter, but I think if I did, I'd write the chapter first and then find something which fits.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »

When you read something new, do you review right away or wait until you're ready to commit to reading the entire thing before you review? If you do review right away, do you then feel an obligation to see the story through even if you don't enjoy it? Do you ever go into the story and in a review explain why you stopped reading?

I review right away if I like the first chapter.  I don't feel obligated to carry on reading and won't carry on if I don't like the story.  But if I've read the first few chapters and enjoyed them, then I'll carry on reading until the end.  I might not read as it's posted because sometimes I lose track, but I'll go back to it and read a load in one go eventually (I have a few like this currently).  I would never tell someone why I stopped reading, but it would have nothing to do with the writing and more my own personal taste.

As a writer, Do you prefer anyone who read your stuff reviewed even if they just suddenly disappear and if they do just suddenly disappear, do you ever find yourself wondering if they just stopped reviewing but are still reading? Would you like it if someone came into your story and explained why they stopped reading or do think that might hinder your writing and make you doubt yourself?

If someone stops reviewing then I just think that the story isn't their thing, I can't please everyone.  I wouldn't like someone to explain why, it would be awful to see a review saying "Hey Steph, I stopped reading because your story is crap and I hated where it was going" lol. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2013, 02:46:19 PM »

How do you feel about cliff hangers? Do you enjoy reading stories with them or writing them? Or do you generally like things resolved at the end of chapters?

I love a good cliffhanger!  I might say things like "noooo you can't leave it like that" but I say that out of love for the story.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »

I used "Just One Kiss" in a story, and had Nick using it as a pick-up line.  I also like to use songs as story titles.  Even if they don't make an appearance in the stories themselves, they might have some sort of relation to the story line, and not just with song fics.

I like to use songs or lyrics as story titles too, not just BSB songs either.  I try to pick something that is relevant to my story.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »

I don't think I ever whined on Twitter. I just feel bad when I tweet that I made an update because I don't want people to read it only because I put a link and they clicked not knowing what it was. I'm weird, I know. LOL

Oh, don't worry about that! I think we all use twitter as a way to say we updated. I think we're referring more to people who tweet about the same update a thousand times lol

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2013, 02:52:46 PM »

Don't really feel I can give anyone tips for writing what I write

Neither can I!

But I will say, write for yourself, not for the reviews :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #428 on: August 14, 2013, 02:53:48 PM »

I don't tend to review until I'm committed.  Now, that being said, I will sometimes go ahead and review after a first chapter because I can already tell I'm going to really like following the story.  If said story starts to go in a direction that's not really my cup of tea, I'll stick with  it for a few more chapters anyway.  Occasionally, I'll be pleasantly surprised and end up finishing anyway.  Now, I've admitted before that I'm really bad about leaving reviews.  I'm doing better, because I really think reviews help me to stay motivated as a writer, but if the writer isn't responding to my reviews, I end up making them fewer and farther between-- or maybe stop all together.  I think the dialogue with the writer is part of what makes leaving reviews fun.

As far as the question about what to do when you stop reading, I think it depends on how well you know the writer.  If it's someone that you're somewhat comfortable with because you've had an ongoing dialogue, I think it's perfectly fine to say, "I'm not reading any more because, ________. "  Of course, if the reason is, oh, the writing sucks, I think that may be better left unsaid.  This is one of the reasons I tend to be a little inconsistent with leaving reviews on the stories I'm not 100% committed to finishing.  I'd hate to be leaving reviews for every chapter then just all of a sudden stop with no explanation at all.  As a writer, that kind of thing hurts, even if it's not personal.

This is a good point too. I think the better you know someone, the easier it is to let them know why you stopped and I think in almost all cases it has absolutely nothing to do with the writing but more the personal taste because I know I wouldn't even bother to click on it, if I knew the writing was bad and honestly sometimes you can just tell by the way the summary is formed.  

And I am with you! I love it when the writer responds to reviews. Sometimes I enjoy getting an author response from one of my reviews then I do getting an actual review. LOL! I don't feel the least bit guilty when I stop reading a story if the author doesn't take the time to respond to what I say.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #429 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:23 PM »

Oh, don't worry about that! I think we all use twitter as a way to say we updated. I think we're referring more to people who tweet about the same update a thousand times lol

I know but I'm weird. lol

And I am with you! I love it when the writer responds to reviews. Sometimes I enjoy getting an author response from one of my reviews then I do getting an actual review. LOL! I don't feel the least bit guilty when I stop reading a story if the author doesn't take the time to respond to what I say.

I agree. I think it's a matter of education, the reader had taken its time to read and actually reviewing (and not the simple "Update!") so I think it's fair that the writer takes a little bit of time to reply.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #430 on: August 14, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »

I hate seeing Twitter posts going on about reviews and posting over and over about their new chapter.  One tweet to say you've posted a new story/chapter should be enough really.

I'm useless at promoting myself so never tweet about my stories.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #431 on: August 14, 2013, 03:11:38 PM »

I sometimes forget to tweet about an update but I almost always remember to update my thread here. I just know me and know if I don't do it the second I update, I completely forget! LOL!

That's also why I respond to reviews pretty much as soon as I get them because if I shut the email and move on to something else, I will forget!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 03:15:37 PM by mare »

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #432 on: August 14, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

LOL Mare I'm the opposite! I always tweet about my updates but I forget to update my thread here.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #433 on: August 14, 2013, 10:32:07 PM »

but if the writer isn't responding to my reviews, I end up making them fewer and farther between-- or maybe stop all together.  I think the dialogue with the writer is part of what makes leaving reviews fun.

I am the same way!  That's the only time I will continue reading but stop reviewing, is if the author doesn't even acknowledge my reviews.  That tells me she either isn't bothering to read them, doesn't care, or is just rude, so why waste my time writing them?  I don't review stories because reviewing itself is fun.  I review because 1) it's polite, and 2) like you said, the dialogue back and forth is fun.  And sometimes I genuinely need to gush or scream or react in some way after reading something, and a review is a good way to get all the feelings out LOL.  But if I don't think the author's going to read it or care, I'll just save it for Twitter.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2013, 03:52:08 AM »

^ See, that would and most times does turn me off reading the story completely, even if I was enjoying it, if I think the author is a giant tool, I have a hard time wanting to care about the story at all lol
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 36