Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110188 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #465 on: July 18, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

I write best either first thing in the morning or late at night... or, in the summer, late at night on through til the morning LOL.  Afternoon is my worst time of day too.

Late at night is my best time, which is why I am terribly bad at writing as of late. Having a regular schedule which involves going to bed at 10pm means I'm not up late enough to write.

I couldn't imagine writing first thing in the morning! Basically whenever I have time free during the day I want to be at the gym, so writing needs to be time after winding down for the day.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #466 on: July 18, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »

That's not what even bothers me most about them. It's the fact that they love toilet paper as much as they do. Something's not right there! And I'm sorry that kid bear is a little too old to not know how to properly wipe himself.

His arms aren't even long enough to reach!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #467 on: July 18, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »

Right? I guess I waited long enough to get into H&H before I put a bag over Nick's head. She'd be too committed to quit by that point. Muahahaha!

That's not true. It's never too late to quit a story! I believe I did take a short break after the killing. lol I am pickier now though. If that's even possible.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »

His arms aren't even long enough to reach!

His arms are plenty long! He's just a little perv!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:36 PM »

Late at night is my best time, which is why I am terribly bad at writing as of late. Having a regular schedule which involves going to bed at 10pm means I'm not up late enough to write.

I couldn't imagine writing first thing in the morning! Basically whenever I have time free during the day I want to be at the gym, so writing needs to be time after winding down for the day.

That is my problem during the school year, too.  I'm too tired when I get home, and by the time I get my second wind, it's time for bed.  First thing in the morning only works for me when there's nowhere I have to be.  I don't do well with time limits.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2014, 07:30:51 PM »

The only time I ever even consider writing during the school year is on the weekends which is why I only tend to do a new story in the summer now. lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #471 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:32 PM »

I don't even think I've ever read a Howie-centered story...

You guys were chatty today. I had three pages to catch up on LOL.

I will say that ive never read a Howie story either. Ive read all the others. I love Howie but not reading about him. Sorry Howie lol

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #472 on: July 18, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »

When the kids are in school i can put on my music and just write until my poor little hands get tired lol. During the summer i tend to write after 10pm cause thats when my mil goes to bed and i have free reign on the internet (long story lol). Sometimes i write during the day when they are home but its useless most of thr time lol. I keep a binder or paper near me most of the day so if i thinknof somethig i can write it down real quick so i dont forget it. I always have notes written down too. It helps me think lol.

I always listen to music while writing/ reading. My playlist has 2700 songs so it juat kind of plays. I am kind of a music freak ;)
~Carter~

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #473 on: July 19, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »

I typically write best late late at night when I am on my down time at work or when I am home and cannot sleep, which is usually the case. However I've had trouble getting myself motivated to write. I was hoping the reading challenge would help but it hasnt unfortunately.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #474 on: July 19, 2014, 03:54:24 AM »

Holy convo LOL. I'm catching up on the main points.

Another question: Of the  stories you've written, list how many are Group centric, Nick centric, Kevin centric, AJ centric so on and so forth. Not including one shots, only novels.

Have you ever made a conscience effort to try to write in one boy's point of view that you usually do not and how hard was that for you?

Do you find of those novels depending on the boy you center it around, is one more popular than the other reader wise?

Group: 5
Nick: 8
Kevin: 0
Nick/Kevin: 1
Brian: 0
Brian/Nick: 2
AJ: 0
Howie: 0

For some reason I thought I had more but they were oneshots LOL. Geeze. This is bad.

My group story thing has definitely been a more recent love. Before they would have a Nick focus while playing with the relationships with the other Boys. Like RMTW. Walked Out of My Dreams was originally JUST Brian but for some reason that wasn't working so I swapped it to Nick/Brian which I felt became a lot better LOL. I'm trying a Nick/Kevin story (well focused on those two, it does feature the group) but it's a AU/Sci-Fi so yeah.

Here We Stand was the first "canon" story I wrote in the POV of all five Boys. With 00Carter, Undead, and Code Blue while the personalities stayed the same, it was still AU. I get this urge to challenge myself sometimes, so when I had this idea I ran with it. It ended up a great exercise cause it was neat trying to write their POVs while making sure their voices were as true as I could make them. Brian's was the hardest but I feel like "present day Brian" is just hard to write. Brian in the 90s is easier, in theory. I haven't tried it just yet LOL. Oddly enough Howie's was easier because as the "ignored" BSB it gives me a lot to play off of.

I don't think I could write "just" a Howie story. Or even just an AJ story because while he had similar issues AJ does best for me as a supporting character. I might try a canon Kevin/Nick story someday. Their relationship is something I love to play with because of their mirroring roles in family vs BSB. The other one I love is the Frick and Frack idea. Mainly because you have how tight those two were then compared to now and it's a neat bit of dysfunction lol.

As for what I've noticed popularity wise - Nick is the chosen one. Period LOL.

I'm done rambling now!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:05:25 AM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #475 on: July 19, 2014, 03:57:01 AM »

Thank you! :)  I remember feeling the same way when I read Mare's story "The Importance of Fly Fishing," which is also Nick/Kevin.  That's one of the first Kevin stories I remember reading.  That and Louise's "Garden," which is also Kevin/Nick centered.  I guess as long as The Chosen One is in there, that makes it worth reading LOL.  I didn't used to read many Nick stories either, though!  Back in the beginning, I was all about Brian.  Nick grew on me.  Plus, there are a lot more Nick stories to choose from, especially nowadays.

That leads me to a couple of other questions.

How have your reading habits changed over the years, as far as which boys and what types of stories you like to read?

What would it take to make you read outside your comfort zone, as in a different boy/pairing or genre than you typically read?

Um as far as reading habits although I'm pickier in terms of quality, I'd say I've gotten more open minded about the types of stories and genres. I never would've touched SAMS for example back in the heyday. Now it depends on the idea and/or the author.

Sometimes like I said, if it's an author I know writes great stories I might click just because. Other times it takes a really good idea.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #476 on: July 19, 2014, 03:59:03 AM »

Oh I have such a long list of no-nos lol
~ zombies

:-[

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #477 on: July 19, 2014, 04:01:38 AM »

When you guys sit down to write, do you just literally sit down and start writing, or do you do anything to get yourself going first?

I will sit down and start writing if I'm really inspired, usually if I've been on a roll and am already in the middle of a chapter, but usually I do a bunch of things that are meant to inspire me and really just waste time, like re-reading, "researching," and listening to music.  Sometimes it does help, especially when it's been awhile and I need to refresh my memory, but there is a reason it takes me so long to finish stories LOL.

I have this same problem of "inspiration" leading to distraction.

Case in point - For "Show Me A Reason" I've been watching old videos to either use old bits or get a certain vibe on things.  Or ya know, inspiration. What usually ends up happening is that I watch videos half the night and take forever to actually write something LOL.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #478 on: July 19, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »

I write best either first thing in the morning or late at night... or, in the summer, late at night on through til the morning LOL.  Afternoon is my worst time of day too.

Mine is late at night. I can't write crap in the morning. It's always stay up as late as I can writing. Afternoons are a crapshoot LOL. Evenings have a decent chance of working out for me. As long as it's dark outside basically.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #479 on: July 19, 2014, 04:16:37 AM »

:-[

Is this a surprise to you? I have only said it a gazillion times lol
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44