Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 109973 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #480 on: July 19, 2014, 04:32:01 AM »

And I do have to clarify about my stories I have listed that all of them with the exception of most of the combo ones, do have all five guys thoroughly in the story. Lion's Den is my Howie centered one, but they are all in there and Nick had his back. Like it would have been very easy to turn it into a Howie/Nick centered fic. Just the main POV was Howie.

That's exactly what happened for Cough Medicine which is the one I listed for Nick/AJ. It was originally going to be an entirely AJ centered story. He was the one who was going to escape while Nick was caught but as I was writing it, I quickly figured out I wouldn't be able to handle that so I switched it to Nick instead. I did try, AJ! I promise! lol

Kevin has been my lead in my AUs Protect and Serve, and Scars because he fit the bill best. The Apartment was also told through his eyes, but once again the other guys were all over all three of these. The Apartment and Scars could have also been considered group fics.

My only Brian one was obviously, It Stays and again, all of them were predominantly involved in that one as well.

I don't think I would ever write a story featuring only one boy and maintain it for an entire novel, because like I said way before in here, unless it's something I'd be willing to read, I wouldn't write it. LOL (Minus the torture! I will write it but if I was a reader, I'd skim through the torture!)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #481 on: July 19, 2014, 04:46:12 AM »

I was just thinking about it today, I haven't written a story where it was just one guy. I always have to have one or more of the other boys in it, even for my one shots. Thats interesting. I dont know if I could write anything with one BSB in it.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #482 on: July 19, 2014, 05:01:30 AM »

When I think of stories with only one BSB it almost always is romance where Summer Summerall is on vacation and encounters Nick in the villa next door, type stuff. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #483 on: July 19, 2014, 05:35:16 AM »

Is this a surprise to you? I have only said it a gazillion times lol

No but it still hurts! LOL
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #484 on: July 19, 2014, 06:11:08 AM »

No but it still hurts! LOL

Aww, I'm sorry! But if it makes you feel any better at least zombies don't have any feelings! lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #485 on: July 19, 2014, 06:20:28 AM »

When I think of stories with only one BSB it almost always is romance where Summer Summerall is on vacation and encounters Nick in the villa next door, type stuff. lol

summer Sumerall lmao thats so funny. I think of a cheesy romance too!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #486 on: July 19, 2014, 06:23:51 AM »

I think that's really the only time it makes sense for it to be just one boy over the course of an entire story. Even though I will never ever get it, but that's okay. LOL

Or I guess unless you're going for one of those Gravity or that dumb Tom Hanks movie where he talks to a volleyball the entire time? Type stories.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #487 on: July 19, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »

I have this same problem of "inspiration" leading to distraction.

Case in point - For "Show Me A Reason" I've been watching old videos to either use old bits or get a certain vibe on things.  Or ya know, inspiration. What usually ends up happening is that I watch videos half the night and take forever to actually write something LOL.

Ugh, I have that problem too!!  I have been known to put on an episode of ER for "research," and before I know it, I've watched like four episodes of ER and written nothing.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #488 on: July 19, 2014, 07:38:12 AM »

I don't think I've ever written a novel that only had one boy in it either.  The other guys are always in my stories, even if they focus mainly on one or two.  Even in Secrets of the Heart, which was very AU, I managed to work Howie, Nick, and Kevin in.

I like romances that do this too.  One reason I love Cover Me With Dreams so much is that, even though it's a Nick romance, the other guys are in it a lot, and it basically tells the story of the early days of BSB right along with the story of Nick and Ciara's relationship.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #489 on: July 19, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »

Yeah, I like to call that tricking people who don't enjoy romance, to read. Where there is romance but enough of the guys that if need be non romance people like myself can skim or skip over the romance stuff to get to the guys parts. Which is what I admittedly do in those situations lol unless the actual romance plot line draws me in (which happens never or very very rarely)

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #490 on: July 19, 2014, 01:28:41 PM »

i dont think i have ever written a story that didnt include at least one of the other guys. I know Gone Country only has Brian and I think the mentions of Kevin but thats as far as it went i think.  But most of my other stories include the guys i dont think its a BSB story without at least one of them lol.
~Carter~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »

^ Yeah, that's been my argument forever. It has to have more than one of the BSB to really be considered a BSB fanfic. I feel that way about a girl centered story too although as long as there is enough of the guys in there, I have softened on that a bit. Still won't read them, but doesn't quite drive me as crazy as it used to. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #492 on: July 19, 2014, 02:59:27 PM »

Here's another question then:

What makes something a BSB story for you? Have you ever started to read a story and then find yourself saying "This is good but it's not really a BSB fanfic?" What does there need to be to qualify being called a BSB fanfic?

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2014, 05:36:38 PM »

I would say if it had three or more members it can be considered a "real" fanfic for me. Although if its an alternate universe i think its different cause they arent really "backstreet boys" if that makes sense lol. But if you are going to write about the boys three or more for me.
~Carter~

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2014, 06:01:41 PM »

^ Yeah, that's been my argument forever. It has to have more than one of the BSB to really be considered a BSB fanfic. I feel that way about a girl centered story too although as long as there is enough of the guys in there, I have softened on that a bit. Still won't read them, but doesn't quite drive me as crazy as it used to. lol

But what if it's not BSB fanfic but is, for example, Nick Carter or AJ McLean fanfic. Each one of the boys is a celebrity in his own right and being a Backstreet Boy is just one of many jobs. If they are just themselves, who happen to have the occupation of being a Backstreet Boy and it's not a group fic, then it's reasonable to think that although it's not BSB fanfic, it's still fanfic.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:03:16 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44